Thailand to introduce 500 baht tourist entry fee from Jan 1st

webfact

500 is a minor irritation, they should go for 1,500 or 2,000 and really <deleted> some people off.

And in February Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia and India will impose similar fees on Thais entering their country.  Let the entry fee wars begin.

Haven't tried lately but for years the entry fee when coming in via Sadao by minibus from Malaysia was 50 baht.  Never got a receipt for it  ????

One time got a cheap Air Asia rt KL-Siem Reap.  The entry to Cambodia cost more than the rt ticket.  The exit fee as well cost more than the rt tic.  Welcome to SEA.

No surprise, the mechanics of funding the country germinate the methodology. 

Its a valid charge as infrastructure improvements which benefit tourists do cost millions

Of course 500 baht maybe a step too far for some, the price of a beer or three a reason not to holiday in Thailand, just who these paupers are will no doubt become clear.

Might I suggest just a handful of miserable people who put principle before common sense 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Haven't tried lately but for years the entry fee when coming in via Sadao by minibus from Malaysia was 50 baht.  Never got a receipt for it  ????

One time got a cheap Air Asia rt KL-Siem Reap.  The entry to Cambodia cost more than the rt ticket.  The exit fee as well cost more than the rt tic.  Welcome to SEA.

Yeah, all the "hidden fees" when travelling in SEA... Learnt the hard way to always have small-denominated banknotes on me, cause, for some odd reason, they often can't give change.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Yes in a positive way as “The money will be a fund to bail out tourism businesses hit by the pandemic. “

Tell that to those budget airlines who've been opposing this money-spinning "scheme" since before Covid times 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Does this mean even Thais who reside elsewhere but come back as tourists to visit family?

No ! The wording specifically says the charge is for " Foreign Tourists "

Or at least thats how I have read it.

In most other Countries you pay for these kind of things within the cost of your Air Ticket Etc

8 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Have any other countries on the same level as Thailand announced something like this recently?

No --most have had it in place for some years ...Vietnam $25---Laos--$52--- Cambodia fee is all wrapped up in the Covid Fee Of $3,000--Philippines--around $37

Indonesia $35

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are you even in the country Sir.  I donate weekly to many families who have applied and been denied by this Government, and know a few business owners that have also been denied.  The unpaid medical bills that the hospitals have from foreigners has not been paid by funds collected by the government either.  Tell me more

Yes we are truly blessed that you have so much inside information whether it be in business or hospitals along with being a Covid expert. 

Nice gesture to donate to the needy. Many more should do, many already do, but do so in silence. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1