Thailand to introduce 500 baht tourist entry fee from Jan 1st

webfact

This idea would fly well if there would be 40 million tourists lining up like 2 yrs ago...

But the moment it isn't the case.

Alienating tourists at the get go is not the policy for this situation.

Besides, this doesn't specify tourists, but entering Thailand:

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Every man, woman and child who enters Thailand from January 1st will have to pay 500 baht for the privilege.

Will that apply to the cheap migrant labour they are in dire need too, despite the unemployment being at a high?

Bcos I don't think most from Myanmar will cheer to this privilege either.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

The truth is 99.9% of Thais probably think this is a great move, charge the foreigners for everything and not the Thai. Thats the mentality. 

ok, You are a typical tourist who is thinking of visiting Thailand... You are spending on the low side somewhere around $1,000+ for round-trip tickets, if you are coming any distance you are likely staying likely 3ish weeks (a few days having to adjust for jetlag)... spending maybe at least $70 / night for accommodation... you have budgeted for food, booze, possibly planning for companionship....  and they are going to worry about a hidden tax that they likely won't even notice on their ticket?   I would say 99% won't even realize they paid it.   I only wish it actually made it to those that would use it properly or were really in need.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, tingtong said:

This idea would fly well if there would be 40 million tourists lining up like 2 yrs ago...

But the moment it isn't the case.

Alienating tourists at the get go is not the policy for this situation.

Besides, this doesn't specify tourists, but entering Thailand:

Will that apply to the cheap migrant labour they are in dire need too, despite the unemployment being at a high?

Bcos I don't think most from Myanmar will cheer to this privilege either.

Other articles on other sites are referring specifically to the charge being on  " foreign tourists" 

• Like 2

If they manage to get a million tourists  next year, 500 million THB, which is under 11 million GBP is a piddling amount if spread across tourism destinations such as Phuket, Samui and Pattaya.

How many businesses do they think that will bail out.

For potential tourists that may be financially squeezed due to the pandemic, all these taxes and double charging fees such as National Parks must be really off putting.

For Europeans, places like Spain, Portugal, Greece and France etc.,  must still look more tempting.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Yep...That'll bring em in !

hey, I think make it 1000 baht... if you can't blow that on arrival, then we don't need you... and if tourists, add 200 baht surcharge per day... they can make-up the savings w/some noodle soup.. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Keep digging when in a hole...

Soon cheaper to spend your beach holiday on the French Riviera, bought decent wine for 3 Euros per bottle in the supermarket, meat, cheese, milk, coffee, vegetables also cheaper here than in Thailand, only hotel cost more but Airbnb rates not to bad here. Clean beaches and no stray dogs or plastic waste all over the place like Phuket, Krabi, Samui.

I just returned from the USA and food prices are mostly much cheaper here than in America or Europe. Even if your claim was true, ya think most tourists will be shopping for their food in supermarkets and markets? Restaurant prices here are a fraction of what they are in Europe and the USA.

Another step for only letting wealthy "quality tourists" get inside...:whistling:

Some tourist destinations in Europe began with charging an entrance fee to limit the number of visitors - and the costs for damage by too many of the same - and even that 500 baht is relative small money when exchanged to many foreign currencies, I'm not sure if this is the right time to restrict the usual budget tourists, those that support the small vendors rather than stay inside big luxury hotels. Already numerous visitors avoid Thailand due to the complicated entry due to COE, a number of relative expensive Covid-tests, mandatory SHA-hotel stay, mandatory use of face mask, and various limitations...????

16 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Another step for only letting wealthy "quality tourists" get inside...:whistling:

Some tourist destinations in Europe began with charging an entrance fee to limit the number of visitors - and the costs for damage by too many of the same - and even that 500 baht is relative small money when exchanged to many foreign currencies, I'm not sure if this is the right time to restrict the usual budget tourists, those that support the small vendors rather than stay inside big luxury hotels. Already numerous visitors avoid Thailand due to the complicated entry due to COE, a number of relative expensive Covid-tests, mandatory SHA-hotel stay, mandatory use of face mask, and various limitations...????

I'm all in favor of allowing backpackers and other lower spending tourists in precisely because their patronage will help those who need it most. That said, I don't think US$15 is going to be an impediment to these tourists. Getting the COE and other documentation is another matter entirely.

• Like 1

Still need to hear how they will collect this tax.

If it is folded into the PSC as part of the air ticket, then Thais will be paying this tax too. (Maybe this can be rebated to Thais?)

Short of setting up a tip jar at arriving Immigration, I'm not sure how they intend to collect this?

The old method of paying cash at departure was much reviled.

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Yes in a positive way as “The money will be a fund to bail out tourism businesses hit by the pandemic. “

The new arrival tax and existing departure tax add 1200 baht to every international Air Asia/Lion Air/Thai Vietjet flight. Cheap tickets to neighbouring countries wont be as cheap. Its not good news for the low cost airlines and the boom in travel they created(pre covid).

Now Everyone Can Fly.....Less 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boarn said:

If this was only for tourists I could stomach it, but if long terms expats have to pay as well that would be yet another spit in the face.

Why ? As I understand it, Thai's will have to pay the tax too...

2 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Other articles on other sites are referring specifically to the charge being on  " foreign tourists" 

How to differentiate between a Cambodia family coming for holiday, vs a European guy returning to his family to a visit to his parents in his home country?

Who is actually the "tourist" ?

5 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The funny thing is that we see the 700 baht departure tax + the 300 baht entry tax now (total 1000) as something outrageously Thai... but it is quite common for different countries to have these hidden fees that most people never see and never know about... (just the names differ).  Australia has a $45AUD tax for international flights out, Canada has up to a $45 Airport Improvement Fee (depending on airport you exit from),  UK has a fee that ranges from £13 and £194 (depending on class etc.).  If it makes you happy the Thai government could just call it a 1,000baht movement fee like Australia does (and the details of what it is for are buried in the budgets). 

Your right as some countries have it built into the price of the airline ticket and much more than Thailand's rate.