Broccoli & Cauliflower 150 Baht a Kilo ????

jasonr3255

A, perhaps useful piece of information:

Broccoli is one of the most intensive pesticide dosed crops (worldwide analysis).

Given the known issues in Thailand with the overuse of pesticides and herbicide I'd be very very careful in buying this product from supermarket and unknown production origins.

I am fortunate in being able to grow my own organically and pesticide free so this is not a problem for me.

31 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Jack Dorsey, Twitters CEO, apparently does - thinks hyperinflation is coming!

He is correct. It is already starting. In the US prices are hard to keep up with. The only thing keeping prices within reason here is the lack of demand, due to the "Prayuth public poverty". 

Edited by spidermike007

Broccoli  does not like rain.  It is always much more expensive and difficult to find during the rainy season.  Smart farmers here do not even plant it during this time of year.  Relax, the price will come down soon as the weather gets drier..

On 10/23/2021 at 3:38 PM, internationalism said:

frozen at makro should be reasonable. Search on their application, order for stock for freezer. Free delivery over 3k.

My way of surviving is going directly to makro and searching for discounted vegetables corner, with short expiry, usually 50%, sometimes less. If not much there, I would top up with catering size bags.

Same with discounted shelves between dairy, fish and meat sections.

I tend to buy seasonal fruits and vegetables.

have you been talking to my wife ,lol

We usually buy our vegetables at the morning market in Khon Kaen,  I honesty don't know what the price for broccoli and cauliflower is  'cause my wife pays, but it is cheap enough for me not to even ask. 

My point is that if you go to the markets that locals shop, you would get better prices. 

The concern about pesticides is real, I fill the sink with water and let them soak for a while, then I rinse them. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

If you think the the broccoli and cauliflower are expensive try the makhuea pro (small green eggplants). The wife tried to be a market gardener with them and we lost money at 60 baht/kilo. Now selling at 300+ baht/kilo because of the floods. Cannot help bad timing.

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Now selling at 300+ baht/kilo because of the floods.

I remember a few years back when the central area had serious flooding and the price of eggs shot up then there were no more for a while.  

5 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

A, perhaps useful piece of information:

Broccoli is one of the most intensive pesticide dosed crops (worldwide analysis).

Given the known issues in Thailand with the overuse of pesticides and herbicide I'd be very very careful in buying this product from supermarket and unknown production origins.

I am fortunate in being able to grow my own organically and pesticide free so this is not a problem for me.

Just like George W Bush, I HATE BROCCOLI.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

The concern about pesticides is real, I fill the sink with water and let them soak for a while, then I rinse them. 

If pesticides were water solvable, then wouldn't they wash off the plants at the first hard rain long ago? 

Washing produce with water removes organic bacteria and dirt but not non-water based chemicals.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We are witnessing worldwide, runaway inflation. And nobody wants to talk about it, officially. 

This is true, but perhaps not relevant to the current prices of cauliflower and broccoli in Thailand which is due to the time of year (seasonality) and the weather.

17 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed. Maybe due to transportation costs? Both vegetables are not grown on a commercial scale in Thailand, so have to be imported (as here in Cambodia). Australia was a big exporter but nowadays it is China and for reference:-

The Australian fresh broccoli and cauliflower industries have experienced significant displacement in export markets. Exports for both products have declined rapidly in recent years. Export volumes of have collectively fallen by 92 per cent since its peak in 2001.

China now produces 45 per cent of the world’s cauliflower and broccoli. Its production has grown 51 per cent since the year 2000.

https://ausveg.com.au/app/data/technical-insights/docs/VG05028.pdf

Incidentally, sometimes I can buy delicious Australian celery when in season.

Yes It is not only the export of broccoli & cauliflower down here in Australia, It no overseas piker's it is sending the cost up on all fruit & veg buy Xmas it will look but can't buy. Both Broccoli & Cauliflower are $3.00 kg B & $4.00 Cauliflower in Coles & Woolworths.and since China isn't talking to us so they don't want it.

• Thanks 1

Go to Makro if you don’t want to pay top price. Villa 2 carrots = 40thb. Makro 1 kg = 20thb.

For some reason I think the Villa in Hua Hin is the dearest in Thailand.

I don’t pay too much attention to prices but on getting home and looking at the price of my pumpkin and some cos lettuce I need to start paying attention. Outrageous!

On 10/24/2021 at 12:14 PM, vandeventer said:

Don't forget the price of insecticides have gone up, and they spray like hell.

I've been a big buyer of cauliflower and broccoli in Thailand in recent years for personal consumption at home in BKK, so I can offer some personal data points.

At the high end, Central Food Hall was selling imported Aussie broccoli lately for about 300b per kilo.

At the low end, I've seen Foodland selling imported broccoli from China for around 100b per kilo, and Thai grown cauliflower for somewhat less than that.

For me personally, because of pesticide residues and related issues, I pretty much avoid vegetables imported from China and am pretty careful in any Thai veggies I buy, mainly sticking to a few that don't typically have a lot of pesticide residues, according to past testing here, like cucumbers.

For broccoli and cauliflower, I was buying frozen 500g bags of Waitrose brand of both veggies imported from the UK that Central typically was selling for between 129 and 159b. But then Central ran into COVID related supply chain issues, the Waitrose cauliflower disappeared, and they ended up finding a decent replacement for the frozen broccoli florets with a brand imported from Spain.

Yes, the frozen prices are high, but that's offset somewhat by the fact the contents are exclusively florets, so there's no waste, stems, leaves, etc.  Hopefully, the Waitrose and Spanish brands Central are selling are a better health bet than the China imported and locally Thai produced versions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...