10 Things we learned – and should learn — from Hollywood superstar Russell Crowe

webfact

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do so many people care what one or the other actor does or like?

He is an actor, not more, not less. He is no role model, not better informed, not smarter, not ... than other people.

If people like him in movies that's fine. Watch those movies. And don't care what the person does or doesn't do or writes.

Famous people are in general not better than others and should not be treated like role models.

There was a while back in the 1970s that Mick Jagger was the go-to guy for reporters looking for a comment on current events.  "Mick, have you seen the new Truffaut film?"  What the . . . . ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Learn from Russel Crowe? You mean THE Russel Crowe infamous for is violent outbursts and major movie diva attitude??

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/07/nyregion/russell-crowe-accused-of-assault-with-hotel-phone.html

Russell Crowe, the actor with a combustible mix of temper, bad-boy image and a new film to promote, was arrested in a SoHo hotel yesterday morning after striking a desk clerk with a telephone because he could not get a call through to his wife in Australia, the police said.

Uh-oh, wait until he hears about this:

https://www.eseller365.com/usps-suspends-package-services-to-australia/

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He is an actor, not more, not less. He is no role model, not better informed, not smarter, not ... than other people.

If people like him in movies that's fine. Watch those movies. And don't care what the person does or doesn't do or writes.

Famous people are in general not better than others and should not be treated like role models.

And usually after they die is when the truth about them starts to come out.

Every country has had its share.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Luckily I am not famous and I don't want to be famous.

I am sure if someone would look long enough they would also find lots of things in my past which were not 100% correct. And especially looking at behavior from 20 or more years ago and judging it with today's PC mentality.

It must be hard for some of those celebrities.

I was thinking on the lines of Jimmy Saville.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You’re forgetting one thing, though, as a famous person you can reach way more people than if you’re just average Joe. Therefore you have some influence/power over some of the people their believes and that’s why it’s so important to choose your words wisely, if you’re famous. Like that singer we have in Germany who is against masks, who has millions of followers on social media, who mostly believe his BS on COVID and spread his BS on their social media. 

And famous people can be very well role models, if they choose a proper cause. They can be the exact opposite as well, like that …t from Germany. 

The reason why people care about what they think is because they like them, they identify with them, they’d like to be like them, but they can’t, but what they do can is share the same way of thinking, wear the same brand of clothes, smoke the same brand of cigarettes, etc,.This is exactly how advertisement works! 

The other problem in today’s world is that very few people bother to fact-check the stuff they read online, instead they just lap it up and spread it as is, hence you have people like Eric aufbahre with millions of followers believing the earth is flat! 

I totally agree with you on famous people just being people, but they do have influence and it’s a dangerous game to play. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

At least he is still alive. When David Carradine went to Thailand, he killed himself.

Yes that was totally bizarre...I'm not sure if that case gave "inspiration"  for many other "suspected suicides"     for example the  top cop who hung himself with his socks from an interrogation room door hinge !!!!   

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Luckily I am not famous and I don't want to be famous.

I am sure if someone would look long enough they would also find lots of things in my past which were not 100% correct. And especially looking at behavior from 20 or more years ago and judging it with today's PC mentality.

It must be hard for some of those celebrities.

You do yourself an injustice! You ARE famous.......at least on TV (sorry, the other one, AN).

• Haha 1

The company making the movie, all the necessary staff have no doubt been granted whatever was required to enter and film without any fuss or hold-ups.

Sure it generated income for someone in a position of power.

Notwithstanding all that is Crowe going to slag off or say what he really thinks?

Of course he's not he's playing the game, pure and simple.

• Like 1

What I learned from Russell Crowe is how atrocious his singing is.  I mean not just atrocious, it's an abomination.  The worst singer I have ever heard trying to go professional.  

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I give him a .4.  

If you don't believe me, just youtube him.  Those poor Australians who have to put up with his singing.  I understand your pain.

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

or the retired in Pattaya look

He hasn't aged well because he's probably drank more than enough to kill several wild elephants.  You can see the look on people, and it's not becoming.  

He is an understated drunk, but don't we all have our demons?  I remember when he came here to a local bar, he got drunk (of course) and got into a fist fight.  It was really disgusting and the people here never forgot it.  

I didn't bother with the article. Just wondering as a wealthy tourist how many bureaucratic bits of nonsense did he suffer through while here a week? Have a wife that needs to be content with b1000 pm raises annually? A family through no fault of their hard work can't catch a break? Guess he didn't get held up by student demonstrations.

Pollyanna tourists are not invested here, they have no skin in the game. There's nothing to learn from the glib observations of tourists.

In fact, I've come up with a personal rule. Unless a person has been living in East Asia for ten or more years. I tend to discount much if their opinion and often just outright ignore it. Just a tourist.