I am Done With Thai Retirement Extensions - Relocating to Ecuador or Mexico on Permanent Residency

sam6345

The process all together is annoying and repetitive then submitting hundreds of signed photocopies, pics of my house, bedroom, and my gf, TM30, house visits, unclear insurances, bank statements.etc etc  I am not willing to continually waist my time on this .Complicated visas it thrives expats out. My child his Int school was yearly 315k, house rent 25k, received lots of visitors and family yearly from Europe, my car 1 million bht.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

Renewing the non-Imm O visa doesn't seem onerous to me. 

I liked Ecuador when I visited there, but I didn't feel safe in Quito where you couldn't hail a cab for fear of being kidnapped and every bank had a guy with a carbine standing in the doorway.  When I bought some over-the-counter meds in a drug store in Quito, the pharmacist opened every box to make sure no one had stolen the pills inside.

Despite the many attractions I wouldn't live anywhere in Latin America, because of the crime.  

There are better options than Quito.  As you say, not the best place to live.  Same applies to Mexico.  There are some wonderful places to live that aren't crime ridden.  Lake Chapala, San Miguel de Allende, Far south beach towns, etc.  I'm hoping to explore there also.

I've been here off and off for 20 years, permanently for 13.  Time for a change.  Love Thailand, just looking for a new adventure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkksteve123 said:

The visa requirements and renewals are a pain, but surely shouldn't be the main reason for leaving? Get an Elite Visa if you have the money. As for the TM30 and 90-Day Report, you can just skip that nonsense if you wish, and pay a fine once per year or so. You won't be thrown in jail or denied renewal, it's merely a fine (around 2000b). Not bad for saving 3-4 trips to immigration.

And yes, the Thai government is....a joke. But is it really that much worse than anywhere else? Especially other developing nations? I think we're nearing the end of the COVID-19 nonsense restrictions, after that things should get easier.

What is it that you're looking for? I agree that Thailand simply isn't as much fun as it was 10 years ago, sadly. But it's not only Thailand that has changed, the entire world has changed. Everywhere you go people will mainly be staring at their phones, that's all. What will actually be different in Mexico or Ecuador? Thailand still offers the same nice weather, friendly people (in general), safety, good healthcare, decent infrastructure, overall value for money and some of the fun factor it did 10 years ago.

Thailand is a very safe country where you can walk the streets at night completely drunk and probably nothing bad will happen to you. You can forget your keys in the motorcycle ignition for a day and the bike will still be there. You can drive around the country into the smallest most remote villages and not be murdered because you didn't stumble into a cocaine lab run by cartels.

Good level headed summary, especially the 'entire world' perspective and a great alternative 90 day report tip for those that dare....................................................

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Rather than random dreams...

Post exactly what is "unpredictable annual song and dance".....

My annual extensions are consistent. Very simple and personally I find it painless.

Good for you. I hope it stays the same year after year after year ------

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

What are you talking about. I have been here 15 years too. The annual extension to my visa takes all of 2 hours, ONCE a year, total cost 2000 baht. The 90 day reporting takes about 15 minutes each time, total cost zero. Hardly a reason for leaving. I think we might have a problem if they added insurance requirements to Non O visas but no sign of that yet.

You've been here 15 years and you still call it an annual extension of visa.? No wonder newbies know nothing and continue to call it a retirement visa. It is an extension of permission to stay. 

Not having a go at you at all. 

Just a dinosaur who growls inwardly when I hear "Ferrang" and "PatTAYa" and retirement visa (unless it's an OA). 

Edited by rott
TAY
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

Magic in the air- the yapping soi dogs, the racket from wat speakers and vendors. the enchanting whiff from the drains and rubbish tipped along the roadside. If not for the Mrs I would be on the first flight home after selling up. After 15 years the magic has worn off.

Ha ha the smell from the drains is one of the first things I remember but haven't noticed it for a long time. 

It's not the same as it was 24 years ago but it's still better than the alternatives. For me anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

so I pulled up stakes and moved to Zihuatanejo, Mexico. It's NOTHING like in the movie "Shawshank Redemption!

You went at the wrong time, should have did like Andy Dufrane did and went there in the 1950s-60s ????

4 hours ago, bkksteve123 said:

The visa requirements and renewals are a pain, but surely shouldn't be the main reason for leaving? Get an Elite Visa if you have the money. As for the TM30 and 90-Day Report, you can just skip that nonsense if you wish, and pay a fine once per year or so. You won't be thrown in jail or denied renewal, it's merely a fine (around 2000b). Not bad for saving 3-4 trips to immigration.

And yes, the Thai government is....a joke. But is it really that much worse than anywhere else? Especially other developing nations? I think we're nearing the end of the COVID-19 nonsense restrictions, after that things should get easier.

What is it that you're looking for? I agree that Thailand simply isn't as much fun as it was 10 years ago, sadly. But it's not only Thailand that has changed, the entire world has changed. Everywhere you go people will mainly be staring at their phones, that's all. What will actually be different in Mexico or Ecuador? Thailand still offers the same nice weather, friendly people (in general), safety, good healthcare, decent infrastructure, overall value for money and some of the fun factor it did 10 years ago.

Thailand is a very safe country where you can walk the streets at night completely drunk and probably nothing bad will happen to you. You can forget your keys in the motorcycle ignition for a day and the bike will still be there. You can drive around the country into the smallest most remote villages and not be murdered because you didn't stumble into a cocaine lab run by cartels.

Very well said.. I agree with your points.