Unpleasant reading. Best not to read it.

swissie

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm only surprised that it hasn't been a minimum requirement for non O and extensions already, but why stop there? IMO all tourists should have travel insurance to enter- not allowed on the plane without. If one can't afford it, should one be traveling?

For decades long I do have a year around travel insurance. BUT, it doesn't cover health problems unless caused by an accident.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

For decades long I do have a year around travel insurance. BUT, it doesn't cover health problems unless caused by an accident.

However, it should cover repatriation if too sick to travel normally.

I'm pretty sure mine covered things like heart attacks, but not minor problems like flu.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, it should cover repatriation if too sick to travel normally.

I'm pretty sure mine covered things like heart attacks, but not minor problems like flu.

However it does not  and those thinking a high medical insurance policy somehow cures all it does not,even that will run dry in a matter of weeks in private hospital

It has absolutely killed off the property market here in Thailand,what was cheap insurance wise,as added years becomes expensive

Edited by fredscats
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I agree with you, but 2-3000 baht will not be possible to cover uninsured foreigners. Let´s say 15k per year, which should be something everyone can afford to pay if choosing the reside in a foreign country.

Cheap   too cheap,.....medical care is far cheaper too outside of Thailand,elective/selective, that is

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

But if the Thai government were on the ball, they'd just announce a say 2-3000 baht health insurance per annum premium on your visa and be done with it.

Are you joking?

Do you know how much health insurance costs? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sezze said:

In a government hospital ? I never ever heard or seen bills like that in such hospital , i did hear about it in private hospitals . Abdomen surgery , 3 days in private room public hospital less then 10k . No special insurance . Other hospital , private but medium range , was something like 70.000 .

I highly doubt it was a government hospital that he went .

It was Chula, so it was government hospital.

Edit.

Also a friend of my ex wife died of bone cancer in her 30's. Price per Chome session was 60,000 baht 10 years ago in the same hospital. She needed a lot. No money. She died.

Oh, yes.... She also had private insurance as she worked for Siemens.

Edited by Pravda
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

What are you trying to say?

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

I agree with you, but 2-3000 baht will not be possible to cover uninsured foreigners. Let´s say 15k per year, which should be something everyone can afford to pay if choosing the reside in a foreign country.

Cheap   too cheap,.....medical care is far cheaper too outside of Thailand,elective/selective, that is

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I worked for an airlines, and IAM, the union representing the workforce, provide pension check info at one of our meetings.  Actually true numbers of monthly pay outs.

Broken down by work classification and number of pension checks sent out.   On average, total workforce, 18 checks sent.  In my job classification, 11 sent.

This is why pension funds are under funded, they know they won't need to send that many checks out.  Some depressing numbers.  Took mine early, at discount of course.  Been collection for well over a decade, about 15 yrs, and if I live past 75, it wasn't a good decision, and I'll actually get less from total pay out.  10 yrs at full pension vs the 25+ yrs, about the same, at discounted pension received.  So if I live longer than 75, I short changed myself.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1