Tourist faces huge bill, separation from family after testing positive on arrival in Thailand

webfact

How does someone who is fully vaccinated, tested recently and then travels in a taxi with another person, test positive hours later, based on getting infected in the taxi? 

Maybe someone can get infected 2 days before flight and test positive the day after the flight, but it's impossible to get infected one day and test positive the next. 

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 2

AXA seems to be a popular choice for insurance as it covers asymptomatic. Well I've just read every word of the policy fine print and as expected it definitely doesn't cover forced quarantine while testing negative.

What did shock me though is that you appear to only be able to make a claim after you have discharged from hospital. So if someones bill is 350,000 baht, they would have to pay it and hope for the best to reclaim as much as possible (as I'm sure they won't discharge you without payment)

20211111_054506.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

AXA seems to be a popular choice for insurance as it covers asymptomatic. Well I've just read every word of the policy fine print and as expected it definitely doesn't cover forced quarantine while testing negative.

What did shock me though is that you appear to only be able to make a claim after you have discharged from hospital. So if someones bill is 350,000 baht, they would have to pay it and hope for the best to reclaim as much as possible (as I'm sure they won't discharge you without payment)

20211111_054506.jpg

Yea it is a scary thought but should also be looked at if you will indeed incur that much in costs. The minimum cost just for stay and observation could be as low as 30k. So you are looking at having to front 30k to 350 000k depending on your health, vaccine status and age.

Hope the international press pick up on this story up. What they don't tell you will happen if you arrive in Bangkok and test positive!

Most people who are vaccinated will suffer bad flu symptoms for a couple of days if they get covid; they certainly don't need to go to hospital unless their health deteriorates.

• Like 2

If you want to avoid testing positive then the only thing you can do is self-isolate at home for a period of time before you fly. I understand this is not possible for some as they are now not working from home.

As some have previously stated, there is no way in hell you are testing positive for covid from the airports, plane and immigration you have just been through. So every and any precaution you can take in the weeks leading up to your flight will help. I feel that the father probably caught covid from one of his children as is the current situation, at least in the UK.

I reckon the extended quarantine due to close proximity to someone who tested positive can be haggled.

Chok dee everyone ????

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MaiChai said:

Hope the international press pick up on this story up. What they don't tell you will happen if you arrive in Bangkok and test positive!

Most people who are vaccinated will suffer bad flu symptoms for a couple of days if they get covid; they certainly don't need to go to hospital unless their health deteriorates.

It is true but not everyone is and would be as responsible as you would like them to be.

I think they should be concerned about new strains then old strains coming in. The old strains are already in Thailand so what difference does it make.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

It seems you have no idea what you're talking about.

Worlds most contagious virus? BS!

Anyone who's infected is taken to a hospital? LoL! As long as you're tested positive but asymptomatic, you do not need any treatment and surely not in a hospital. Otherwise there would be MILLIONs of people in each country staying in hospitals. Positive but asymptomatic means quarantaine at home, nothing else.

Not here in Thailand unfortunately. You as a tourist are moved into an AQ location or a facility at your expense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, daejung said:

In that case, can you refuse quarantine, hospital and just fly back to your home country ?

That was done during the first week of the Phuket Sandbox. A group arrived 1 of them positive the others put into quarantine, but then were allowed to fly back home.  A wasted vacation for all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I'm in Costa Rica now. PM me if you have any questions. I'm trying to stop posting here but I still am a follower.

Thank you.  Take care.  I love Thailand and miss it very much. Been there twice.  Once for four months.  
But with the way things are now……looking at Sri Lanka, Belize, Costa Rica and Equador.  Not an easy decision.    And there are other places I am also thinking about.

I appreciate your offer of answering questions.  Thank you very much. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Better before flying, buy a few test kits. When they test you positive in Thailand, do your own test and if it shows negative, challenge them.

Good luck with that, Thailand Doctors do not like being challenged.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1