Anutin: Pfizer Won't Give Paxlovid Formula to Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Silencer said:

It will be easy enough to decipher the ingredients and some companies (with or without government knowledge) will offer a generic based on the Pfizer formula. Quality control standards might be less but the formula should be near exact. Pfizer will be busy suing these companies.

Apparently, you believe that Prizer is offering a medication that contains secret ingredients? Really? 

Is there a history of that sort of patent violations like occurring? I believe Thailand is a member of the WTO and the treaty rules out that sort of activity.

1 hour ago, WHansen said:

It's a program to help poor countries get access to the drug, Thailand did not qualify

I'll admit I quickly scanned the press on this and I expected this to be the reason. But it didn't come across that way.

From one article: "Pfizer will sub-licence production of its promising Paxlovid pill to generic drug manufacturers for supply in 95 low- and middle-income nations covering around 53 percent of the world's population." I thought that Thailand was a middle-income country.

Perhaps it's related to COVAX "criteria"?

Paxlovid treatment does, I think, also use a secondary (HIV) drug.

Pfizer has had a sub here since the late 1950's. They import a lot of drugs which they manufacture elsewhere. They may license the manufacture of other drugs to local Thai companies?

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

From one article: "Pfizer will sub-licence production of its promising Paxlovid pill to generic drug manufacturers for supply in 95 low- and middle-income nations covering around 53 percent of the world's population." I thought that Thailand was a middle-income country.

That article is incorrect. The press release from Pfizer says it will sub-licence the drug to low and lower-middle income countries and as the TNA article linked to in the OP states, Thailand is classed as a higher-middle income country.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Thailand is classed as a higher-middle income country.

Then they use their riches to pay the going rate, the same as everyone else.

Or simply buy hardly any at all which is what I suspect will happen, buy it in the expensive private hospitals and nothing for the plebs.

58 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That article is incorrect. The press release from Pfizer says it will sub-licence the drug to low and lower-middle income countries and as the TNA article linked to in the OP states, Thailand is classed as a higher-middle income country.

Thailand has a minimum wage of £7.11 a day and pay pensioners 500 baht a month. How can they be classed as a higher middle income country?

That's what happens when you go shopping for submarines and high-speed rail links. Everyone thinks you have money. ☹️☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

Thailand has a minimum wage of £7.11 a day and pay pensioners 500 baht a month. How can they be classed as a higher middle income country?

That's what happens when you go shopping for submarines and high-speed rail links. Everyone thinks you have money. ☹️☹️

I wonder if they use average ("mean") income to classify countries... Enough obscene super rich could tilt the numbers to make it seem Thailand is better off than it is. Perhaps if they used median income, it might give better reflection of true economic state

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Hearsay rubbish. Post a link to your claim which I bet you can't. Can't even name the drug.

It was Favipiravir. The Thai Patent Office denied the Japanese patent claim so the generic version could be manufactured in Thailand.

https://www.gabionline.net/generics/general/COVID-19-favipiravir-treatment-production-opens-up-in-Thailand

There is a good story in the Bangkok Post, 28th April this year, that gives the lead up to the goings on....not allowed to link to it.

Edited by edwinchester
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

It was Favipiravir. The Thai Patent Office denied the Japanese patent claim so the generic version could be manufactured in Thailand.

https://www.gabionline.net/generics/general/COVID-19-favipiravir-treatment-production-opens-up-in-Thailand

There is a good story in the Bangkok Post, 28th April this year, that gives the lead up to the goings on....not allowed to link to it.

Favipiravir is a generic drug already and they were denied a patent because they presented no new innovation.

6 hours ago, Pierre57 said:

Who has time to watch this class of videos. If they had evidence that would stand up to scrutiny, they would put it in writing. Which is a lot easier to fact check.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I suggest you read up on the amount of Fake medications that are on sale Globally, and where they are Manufactured

I suggest you do some research on the Insane prices charged by Big Pharma for their products.

Diagnosed with Hep C in 2015. Started on Harvoni. One year later still infected.

June 2018 started on Vosevi and Rivavirin for 120 days. Can't remember which one of them it was, but cost $1000 per pill.

Treatment with Generic drugs from India - total $700 for the total course.

Edited by seedy
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

For all those celebrating this news, note that as foreigners in Thailand, if and when you get this drug, it will be imported, taxed, and charged  to you at a price higher than what it would sell for in the West.  All to make Pfizer's stock price go higher.

Your wrong but even if you were right this bothers you why? Buy a vaccine or dont, nobody is forcing you.

20 hours ago, John Drake said:

For all those celebrating this news, note that as foreigners in Thailand, if and when you get this drug, it will be imported, taxed, and charged  to you at a price higher than what it would sell for in the West.  All to make Pfizer's stock price go higher.

Should I need it, since I have already received 2 Pfizer vaccines, not a satang of tax nor charge? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, seedy said:

I suggest you do some research on the Insane prices charged by Big Pharma for their products.

Diagnosed with Hep C in 2015. Started on Harvoni. One year later still infected.

June 2018 started on Vosevi and Rivavirin for 120 days. Can't remember which one of them it was, but cost $1000 per pill.

Treatment with Generic drugs from India - total $700 for the total course.

That's why many friends in the US head to Mexico to buy the medications they need in bulk and at a big savings.  Many of the drugs we need a script for in the US we do not need anywhere else and can buy over the counter at many pharmacies here in Thailand.  As a diabetic I pay just a little over what my co-pay would be for my medications in the states and get my same 90 day supply.  Insanity that they charge so much.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Favipiravir is a generic drug already and they were denied a patent because they presented no new innovation.

There are several versions of Favipiravir protected by patent around the world. Thailand chose to deny the patent for the pill version which was the version they wanted to produce.

• Haha 1