Ever did dream of being a bar owner?

georgegeorgia

8 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I still have dreams of one day retiring and buying a bar although as i get older and come to my senses it would have to be more of a "hobby" than profit.

If you wanted to own one as a 'hobby', then perhaps this would be a good time, with many on sale, while the future (in regards to profitability) is uncertain. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

OP - At this rate you'll never pull the trigger and stop working. Plenty of shophouses for rent where you can start a business and live upstairs.

i know but after listening to that podacst of that bar owner saying he was threatened im scared,if they done that to him they are not going to be scared of elderly farang bar owners,but they probaly wouldnt go for a single bar owner who has a hobby hopefully anyway

Edited by georgegeorgia

Not a good idea.

Jimmy Kelly a “hitherto decent lad from Watford” (so he was no Ned Kelly) fed up with being a “postie”, takes redundancy money and heads for Thailand.

A “friend” advises him to start a bar. Unfortunately the initial success goes to his head, and then it’s downhill all the way. A good example of hubris (see quote from, and link to Merrim Webster dictionary below)

Lady journalist interviews Jimmy Kelly:
https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/01/24/thailand-uk-man-life-bar-koh-samui-thai-prison-jimmy-kelly-drugs-prostitution-chang/

A short excerpt from the dramatized documentary and also ‘stills’ from Daily Star:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/banged-up-abroad-jimmy-kelly-17147394

His brother had to use his life savings to get Jimmy transferred back to Britain, where he could “enjoy” his porridge in one of Her Majesty’s establishments.

At least he lived to tell the tale, and is now happy to be a darts champion in his brother’s pub.

hubris defined:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hubris

“Hubris Comes From Ancient Greece (quote ^^^)

‘English picked up both the concept of hubris and the term for that particular brand of cockiness from the ancient Greeks, who considered hubris a dangerous character flaw capable of provoking the wrath of the gods. In classical Greek tragedy, hubris was often a fatal shortcoming that brought about the fall of the tragic hero. Typically, overconfidence led the hero to attempt to overstep the boundaries of human limitations and assume a godlike status, and the gods inevitably humbled the offender with a sharp reminder of his or her mortality.”

297A11D9-6EE2-46B4-BA09-11BB56FC2BEE.jpeg

Edited by silver sea
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Last thing I'd dream of, I've often wondered what the attraction is, i think it helps if an alcoholic or pre-alcoholic

No way could I deal with drunks everyday.  Why I never visit bars, let alone want to own one.  

If an alcoholic, then would be the way to go.  Although ... drug dealers doctrine ... never use your product, so owning may be counter productive in so many ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

"Hubris", thinking a woman was genuine.

Yes, she was an important part of it. Back in England, he felt he was a “nobody”. The yaba (crazy medicine) he was taking and selling, made him believe that he was now a “somebody”. His blind arrogance had made him too big for his boots. The woman was the hinge in the door that smacked him in the face with the reality (30 year prison sentence)

In 2011, he had been given the equivalent of 1,650,000 baht in redundancy money, but in 2017, his brother Gary had to use his life savings (the equivalent of 4,200,000 baht) to get him out of the Thai prison and back to Britain.

Owning and running a bar in Thailand is not a good idea.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Many say its the BIB you had to be careful of when running a bar...Fast forward and yesterday i listened to a podcast of a former well known pattaya bar owner who despite his "power" talked how he was threatened by Aussie criminals bikies  and the trouble he had to go to to protect his family.

the farang petty criminals are by far the worst, and Pattaya is a breeding ground for them

do you have the link to the Podcast? I think I might known the bar owner you mention, and would love to hear him and his stories on that podcast

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Two sides to running a bar.

The drinking side and the stressful side.

I prefer to stay on the drinking side.

renting instead of owning comes to mind ????

or

why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free, heu or something like that ????

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1

Only in a nightmare.  Cash business where your employees steal you blind,, water down the alcohol and steal a portion of it.  Horrible working hours and in many countries huge liability if anyone you served is involved in an accident.  

Those visions of being a bar owner like Ted Danson on Cheers are just for TV.  I would suggest you talk to a few bar owners for their first hand experience before planking down any money. 

• Like 2