Things you may not know about Thai Hom Mali, the world’s best rice

webfact

1-2.jpg

The pride of the nation, Thai Hom Mali rice (Jasmine Rice) is native to Thailand yet not every Thai knows the history of this delicious grain.

Thai Hom Mali rice has been center stage at international competitions many times, most recently at the World Rice Conference held in Dubai early this month when it was recognized with the World’s Best Rice Award 2021 for a second consecutive year. The global prize underlines the top quality of Thai rice, which has taken home the top prize seven times from a total of13 World Rice Conferences.

Hom Mali is popular in Thailand and abroad. Its name Hom Mali (which translates as jasmine fragrance) could lead people to assume that it gives off the scent of jasmine, but in fact the aroma is pandan or screwpine.  The “Jasmine” name actually comes from the color of its grain which is white as the jasmine flower. “Jasmine rice” is the trade name of the two popular varieties grown in Thailand — Jasmine 105  (Hom Mali 105) and RD 15 (Kor Koh 15) – and both varieties have a fragrant aroma.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/things-you-may-not-know-about-thai-hom-mali-the-worlds-best-rice/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Rarely served, but does taste a wee bit better.  Not much of a rice fan myself.  Prefer the 'fusion' version with pasta for many Thai dishes.

Potatoes Rule  ????

Difficult to eat thai curry with pasta. ????

Edited by RandiRona
  • Haha 1

My Isaan wife grows Hom Mali (Jasmine) rice, as well as sticky rice.  When it’s freshly milled, and then cooked—it really does have a delicate fragrance.  I should know—seem to get rice most every day in one form or another.  The fragrance wanes a few months after harvest.

We only eat straight hom mali with a few delicately flavored Thai dishes such as thom kha gai or steamed fish with soy sauce.  Our mainstay for rice is a blend of ½ black riceberry rice, ¼ brown jasmine rice and ¼ hom mali.  This blend gives substantially more fiber and a more full sensation so we eat less carbohydrate calories overall.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

After my gfs last visit to the UK we had such an epic row as I refused to agree with her that Hom Mali was tastier than premium Basmati, her attitude to my blasphemy was akin to criticising the Thai monarchy ????. After a few months I had completely won her over and she's come over to the dark side and now prefers Basmati.

Edited by TroyC
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TroyC said:

After my gfs last visit to the UK we had such an epic row as I refused to agree with her that Hom Mali was tastier than premium Basmati, her attitude to my blasphemy was akin to criticising the Thai monarchy ????. After a few months I had completely won her over and she's come over to the dark side and now prefers Basmati.

Progress......she is wising up.

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

We only eat straight hom mali with a few delicately flavored Thai dishes such as thom kha gai or steamed fish with soy sauce.  Our mainstay for rice is a blend of ½ black riceberry rice, ¼ brown jasmine rice and ¼ hom mali.  This blend gives substantially more fiber and a more full sensation so we eat less carbohydrate calories overall.

Leave out the hom mali and you've got my vote!

Reading some posts here I urgently feel the need to hurry to your gustatory rescue: Not Jasmine Rice, nor Basmati Rice will ever be a match for Japanese Short Grain and you should really try that.

And here is (although grown in California) the best I ever had. It is a short-medium grain variety and delicious just by itself as can be. It is not available in any Thai store I know otherwise I would not eat anything else:

628088030_KokuhoRoseRice.jpg.40bd870a1d982831a09f17a0fc51234b.jpg

But as a substitute, you could try imported Japanese Rice as I do. Yes, it is expensive but judge yourself if it is worth the money or not.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Reading some posts here I urgently feel the need to hurry to your gustatory rescue: Not Jasmine Rice, nor Basmati Rice will ever be a match for Japanese Short Grain and you should really try that.

And here is (although grown in California) the best I ever had. It is a short-medium grain variety and delicious just by itself as can be. It is not available in any Thai store I know otherwise I would not eat anything else:

628088030_KokuhoRoseRice.jpg.40bd870a1d982831a09f17a0fc51234b.jpg

But as a substitute, you could try imported Japanese Rice as I do. Yes, it is expensive but judge yourself if it is worth the money or not.

But does it eat well with fish sauce when you have nothing else.

• Haha 1