Jump to content

Visa Agents? Yay or Nay?


Recommended Posts

My old method of travelling to Laos every year to get my visa done is not an option with borders closed.

 

I may have to consider using a visa agent in a few weeks when my visa expires. I have a coupe of questions:

 

a) Is it safe/legal?

b) What kind of price do they charge for a one-year extension based on marriage?

c) Do I need to have 400,000 in a Thai account, and if so how long should it have been sitting there?

 

Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

If is fairly easy do to it yourself.

To apply for a non-o visa at immigration the 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply.

See: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/6.pdf

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay from the non-o visa you can apply for a one year extension based upon marriage. The 400k baht would need to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw on a list somewhere that a criminal record check is required for a retirement visa how and where is this done, do i need to get this before i leave UK?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Boyn said:

I saw on a list somewhere that a criminal record check is required for a retirement visa how and where is this done, do i need to get this before i leave UK?

Required from UK Police for non- extendable 12 month visa issue in UK.

Not Required for extendable 3 month visa issued in Thailand ,extendable by 12 months in Thailand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Required from UK Police for non- extendable 12 month visa issue in UK.

Not Required for extendable 3 month visa issued in Thailand ,extendable by 12 months in Thailand.

Thanks for that tropicalguy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Application for a Non O visa and one-year extension inside Thailand using an agent is expensive. If you are aged over 50, switch to retirement. The cost will vary depending on the immigration office through which the agent processes the application. The risk is very low, but those who believe the risk is zero are deluding themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Know dozens of people who do it as well I do since 2-3 years, never one second of headache with immigration since. Neither expensive for Non-O at an average of 25-30K a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2022 at 4:17 PM, Edward Abbott said:

b) What kind of price do they charge for a one-year extension based on marriage?

In words attributed to the late J.P. Morgan,

 

If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it

 

Real, lawyer-types in Bangkok offer one-stop concierge service (pick-up, drop off, 90-day reporting) to well-heeled ex-pats and foreign workers and their families. One merely needs to sit in the L area at CW for more than 5 minutes to observe this. I do know a few who use the services of a particular lawyer, and have for at least 15 years. I gagged when told the price.

 

For all others I'd say "Nay". Once you're on the hook with an agent, well get used to it. That's assuming they don't lose your passport. Most in the L area doing marriage extensions seem to be agent-less; they are easy to identify obviously, lugging their massive photo albums. Oh, and the wife.

 

What is your reporting office? Plenty of experiences here, might highlight any issues.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I used an agent at CW and I still get to do 90 day reports. I didn't like the idea of using other agents that would send my passport to some far-flung province and then having to pay them to also send the PP there for reporting (having to pay for that too every 3 months). I was never out of sight of my passport not once during the retirement ext process.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

I used an agent at CW and I still get to do 90 day reports. I didn't like the idea of using other agents that would send my passport to some far-flung province and then having to pay them to also send the PP there for reporting (having to pay for that too every 3 months). I was never out of sight of my passport not once during the retirement ext process.

I assume you actually had the funds required in the bank yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Boyn said:

I saw on a list somewhere that a criminal record check is required for a retirement visa how and where is this done, do i need to get this before i leave UK?

If you apply for your visa here in Thailand, no criminal record check or medical check are necessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

In words attributed to the late J.P. Morgan,

 

If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it

 

Real, lawyer-types in Bangkok offer one-stop concierge service (pick-up, drop off, 90-day reporting) to well-heeled ex-pats and foreign workers and their families. One merely needs to sit in the L area at CW for more than 5 minutes to observe this. I do know a few who use the services of a particular lawyer, and have for at least 15 years. I gagged when told the price.

 

For all others I'd say "Nay". Once you're on the hook with an agent, well get used to it. That's assuming they don't lose your passport. Most in the L area doing marriage extensions seem to be agent-less; they are easy to identify obviously, lugging their massive photo albums. Oh, and the wife.

 

What is your reporting office? Plenty of experiences here, might highlight any issues.

Thanks, but in this instance I disagree with J P Morgan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I assume you actually had the funds required in the bank yourself.

It has always been possible to find agents who could process retirement extensions at Chaengwattana without financials. However, for a number of years it was very expensive. Talking recently to an acquaintance (I only run into occasionally) who is dialled into the grapevine on such things, I understand the price in Bangkok has come down substantially. It is still more expensive than allowing the agent to send your passport up country for processing, but now only by about 3,000-4,000 baht or so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It has always been possible to find agents who could process retirement extensions at Chaengwattana without financials.

Thanks for update.

I'm outta the threads from OP.

Can never work out what info he is seeking and rarely contributes.

IMO if he can come up with 400k then  obtain non O marriage along with Extension and do it himself. Not difficult.

 

If no funds or wants to avoid that obligation then use agent to obtain non O retirement along with extension. 25k 

Passport sent upcountry. Job done..

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The last 2 years have been so easy ,2 hours + , why anyone would need

to use an agent is beyond me , unless  they don't have the required

funds in the bank, or need to have their hand held.......

regards worgeordie

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used an agent to organise my new passport and it saved me time and trips to Bangkok from Pattaya and I appreciate that they dealt with all the paperwork including the visa stamp transfer document.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The last 2 years have been so easy ,2 hours + , why anyone would need

to use an agent is beyond me , unless  they don't have the required

funds in the bank, or need to have their hand held.......

regards worgeordie

 

I used an agent for my very first "retirement visa". why, because who in their right mind wants to tie up 800k in a Thai bank forever as opposed to wisely investing the funds and making stacks of money every year? but I guess that's why some people are constantly talking about the price of everything and the successful investors are sipping on champagne and eating caviar 😹

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It has always been possible to find agents who could process retirement extensions at Chaengwattana without financials. However, for a number of years it was very expensive. Talking recently to an acquaintance (I only run into occasionally) who is dialled into the grapevine on such things, I understand the price in Bangkok has come down substantially. It is still more expensive than allowing the agent to send your passport up country for processing, but now only by about 3,000-4,000 baht or so.

Corruption in Bkk is bound to cost more

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I used an agent for my very first "retirement visa". why, because who in their right mind wants to tie up 800k in a Thai bank forever as opposed to wisely investing the funds and making stacks of money every year? but I guess that's why some people are constantly talking about the price of everything and the successful investors are sipping on champagne and eating caviar 😹

So how have you been doing subsequent  extensions wthout an agent and money in the bank ?

regards worgeordie

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I use an agent to  do my 90 day report when I don't want to queue at the IO.

Give the new online system a go.

You have to register. 

Many reports of success after failure with old system 

 

https://tm47.immigration.go.th/tm47/#/register/add 

 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

In words attributed to the late J.P. Morgan,

 

If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it

 

I wonder if J.P. Morgan ever lived in Thailand?

 

I ask the price at the local noodle soup stand. I might be able to afford 10,000 baht but I am sure not going to pay that for soup.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2022 at 4:39 PM, FalangTingTong said:

I’m not an expert but I used an agent and was happy with the service.  For retirement I ended up paying about 1000€ all-in, and that got me 15 months, which I may or may not extend.


Totally safe and legal, for Asian definitions of both.

 

Only downside was I had to surrender my passport for several weeks, which I don’t think I’d be happy to do again just because of the risk: they’re not going to lose the thing but if you *must* go home before you get it back, you’re in for a whole lot of pain.  However that might not apply to you or your visa type.

 

At least go talk to a couple agents and ask about the details.

Good advice.

 

I've used an agent and its been easy going.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...