New 20-baht polymer banknotes to enter circulation on March 24

snoop1130

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijMhwXIpSd9AWggRirjiqpCaL7PBRw.jpg

The Bank of Thailand (BoT) has issued new 20-baht banknotes, made of polymer rather than paper, for distribution from March 24th.

BOT Governor Sethaput Suthiwartnarueput, explained that they chose to issue the polymer notes for the 20-baht denomination first because they are the most frequently used and wear out faster than notes of other denominations. The polymer notes are more durable and stay cleaner than paper ones.

The polymer notes are produced from a special kind of plastic which does not absorb humidity or dirt. They are environment friendly and will reduce the need to reprint replacements for worn-out notes, said the governor.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-20-baht-polymer-banknotes-to-enter-circulation-on-march-24/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-01-20

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

Great. Hope all notes the world over are replaced by this material. Much more durable. 

On the topic of money: when are countries going to do away with all the copper coins? Completely useless nowadays IMHO. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, djayz said:

On the topic of money: when are countries going to do away with all the copper coins? Completely useless nowadays IMHO. 

Just do away with cash—haven’t used it in months, albeit not Thailand. Dirty and forgeable. The old boys can pay the girls on that LINE thing innit? ????

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Just do away with cash—haven’t used it in months, albeit not Thailand. Dirty and forgeable. The old boys can pay the girls on that LINE thing innit? ????

Wouldn't know how to use anything else but cash or plastic. Pay by LINE?! Arai wa? ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

You can't store a LINE account under the mattress. And how do you give a little contribution to the policeman that finds you without driver's licence?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Virt said:

????

An Aussie on Samui showed me some of those those polymer banknotes that they use.

They are totally nice and easy to clean if you spill beer on them, or go swimming in the ocean and forgot you had money in your swimming pants.

I don't know about you guys but a lot of times I confused a 50 for a 20. I hope these new ones are better.

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, Virt said:

????

An Aussie on Samui showed me some of those those polymer banknotes that they use.

They are totally nice and easy to clean if you spill beer on them, or go swimming in the ocean and forgot you had money in your swimming pants.

Just don't use a hot iron to dry them, they shrink.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, kickstart said:

If my memory serves me right Thailand first had ,what was called then a plastic 50 baht note back in 1995.

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

We had these before, the 50 baht notes which lost all the printing after a while.

Hope they found a better manufacturer. 

If I recall, there were two different versions of the polymer 50 baht note back in the mid-90s. As @jacko45kmentioned, the first design tended to lose its printing after a while and start to become transparent in places. The second one was more stable, but we heard at the time that market ladies complained about the plastic bills because they stuck together when wet. In any case, they were withdrawn and replaced by new paper notes after a few years.

I know that polymer notes are much more durable than paper ones, but I've never cared much for them personally: they don't fold nicely, and they do stick together far more than traditional bills.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

Thai people have the obnoxious habit of writing things on bank-notes. They used it as some sort of convenient paper.

In India most places wont accept notes with anything handwritten on them. Not sure why.

Same problem if there is a little tear.

Easier to put them in the temple donation box than to try and pass them on.

• Like 1