Brit 'tourist' murdered by scythe in Kanchanaburi - friend in hospital - loud music blamed

webfact

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What I want to question is if the story of the loud Music is true ???  - did the murderer claim that ?

Don't know. Wasn't there, but the article implies that the loud music was the source of the problem. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, car720 said:

So he was a Tom.

It is a foolish notion to think that there is even a modicum of regard for life in Thailand.

Call me foolish then. Based on this incident you're suggesting there is no regard for life in Thailand? That's blatant Thai bashing at it's finist (and lots of people liked your comment even?). Do you watch the news to see what goes on in other countries?  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

When a lorry crashed through traffic lights, articles also imply ‘brake failure’...... 

Now.... the accuracy of reporting is not the best in Thailand...  but how loud can the music be ? its two guys sat in front of a room having a beer. 

So...  Who has reported that the music was loud ??? - did the murderer state that, or are there other witnesses / residents in the area who also state this ?.... Or, is the ‘loud music’ reason simply dreamt up by the media, ‘cos there has to be an excuse, right ?....  ‘it wasn’t my fault, it was the loud music that made me do it’ !!!!

Now... I don’t know IF there was loud music or not.... but do we believe 100% in what the report implies ?

I never believe 100% of anything anyways, but, I do believe that where there is smoke, there is fire. 

Nobody walks up to a complete strange and tries to decapitate him/her unless there is some form of provocation. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The same argument was discussed recently when without any aggravation out of the blue one of two Thai guys assaulted a Swedish guy sitting on Pattaya beach at 11pm (as it was reported). 

People were suggesting ‘no smoke without fire’...  thats what we all hope because that makes us feel safer.

We behave and if we don’t react or get triggered we are safe... but that may not be the case 100% of the time.

Was this simply a nut case indiscriminately attacking someone? (example I provided and this thread).

of course, two sides to every story, especially when alcohol is involved

3 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

there  hasnt been lurid deaths for some time during lockdown

drinking with locals big mistake

Were the two foreigners mentioned in the OP drinking with locals? I don't remember reading anything about that.

Edited by Puccini

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My advice, never sit with your back to the door.

better still, don't think you own the place [when you are just an unwelcome visitor] & can do whatever you like, whenever you like without repercussions.

Thai's tolerance levels are quite high, but once breached, it could end quite devastating.

Having, said that, none of us the real story, but murder, just NO!!

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, but the response should be to politely go over and ask the guys to turn the music down a bit .

Not going over there and killing them 

how do we know they [Brits] didn't tell him to farrrk right off ????

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Some time after 3 am this morning (police responded at 3.50 am) one man could take the disturbance no longer and attacked the two tourists then fled the scene.

he should have called the police FIRST before attacking the tourists. this is how a person who uses his brain would do

16 hours ago, Bezdomny said:

They shouldnt play Nickelback.

This picking on Canadians must stop. 

A couple of drunk, loud and belligerent Brits get in a scuffle. How often have we heard of that before?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Adumbration said:

If the guy has mental issues he will likely walk (and probably kill again).  He will be let off because he was crazy and so did not have requisite intention to satisfy Mens Rea. 

Spot on. I know of a Thai that killed his own brother. He was always recognized as being mad and was never jailed. He still walks the roads around the village today.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

I can easily picture this. Voices raised. Offence given. Thai guy goes away, comes back with scythe. Hacks at neck from behind with no warning.

My advice: don't be an <deleted> in the first place, avoid altercation, but if an argument is picked by someone else, get out of the way as soon as you can because they will come back with a gun or knife, and if you do get into a fight, don't go to the floor whatever you do or they'll stamp on your head.

Emphaty is not on the menu here.

21 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Spot on. I know of a Thai that killed his own brother. He was always recognized as being mad and was never jailed. He still walks the roads around the village today.

In my village some old Thai bloke had an argument with his wife so he burnt their house down. I always see him pacing back and forth on the road. People who live here think he's nuts and avoid him. 

Marcus John R.I.P.

Tragic - a mentally unstable killer - but such tragedies happen all over the world and as a Brit., I can say, even in the good old UK, where some of the murders of innocents you read about are beyond belief.

'Brutality just under the surface' is not exclusive to Thailand. After years in Africa I can testify to that and the news from the UK, Europe and the US often bears this out !

Blaring music at 3 am is wild unless you've invited the Neighbours ! As a rule, if you live in a foreign Country - I think it wise to avoid disputes wherever you can . . . . . R.I.P.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Marcus John R.I.P.

Tragic - a mentally unstable killer - but such tragedies happen all over the world and as a Brit., I can say, even in the good old UK, where some of the murders of innocents you read about are beyond belief.

'Brutality just under the surface' is not exclusive to Thailand. After years in Africa I can testify to that and the news from the UK, Europe and the US often bears this out !

Blaring music at 3 am is wild unless you've invited the Neighbours ! As a rule, if you live in a foreign Country - I think it wise to avoid disputes wherever you can . . . . . R.I.P.

Actually Marcus John Evans.

17 hours ago, NicholasTH said:

Some time after 3 am ????‍♂️ you are asking for big problems . 

Started at 9pm, after 3am the altercation started... 5 hours of loud music and excessive behaviour.

You're going to get a reaction.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bezdomny said:

They shouldnt play Nickelback.

I was thinking if Brits it was probably tubthumper. Except this time theycdidnt get back up again.

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1