Utter stupidity by the BTS

Freddy42OZ

This is really strange.

Don't think I have ever had to pay an additional charge to exit the station when I have entered and exited the station within a few minutes and I have done that a few times.

Sometimes also give the ticket back at the side window and  exit the station by the side gate.

Maybe it's some new term and condition but I can't seem to find that on the BTS web site.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

There's a lot more to LOL at .  Some recent highlights including on the advent of Thailand 4.0 and cashless society move - remove the ability to top-up with credit/debit cards with the exception of certain very limited monthly tickets. Require a foreigner to register a passport to acquire or continue the use of an existing Rabbit card. Still no integration with MRT or other transport tickets..  Not big issues in grand scheme of things though, not worth stressing over

Edited by mnomad

28 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Don't know what you mean. I do this pretty regularly in 7/11 and they get it right. 

Easy to figure out with a modern cash register, try doing the same at a mom & pop store.

OP, according to their website, you should have been able to get a refund if you left the paid area within 5 minutes:

Passenger has entered the Paid Area but intends to leave the Paid Area at the same station within 5 minutes from the time of entering the Paid Area. Passenger must make request for refund at the Ticket Office before leaving the Paid Area.

https://www.bts.co.th/eng/tickets/ticket-conditions.html

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, digbeth said:

it used to be 15 baht to walk through the station, your girlfriend must have been charged 15 baht on her rabbit card,

the extra 1 baht is strange

there's a lot of drama in the previous years about people only buying 15 baht minimum ticket, riding to meet and deliver goods over the turnstile at other station, then coming back to exit the same station for only 15 baht, maybe they've implemented the 1 baht thing to inconvenience those people 

good point, that's why they put some time limit on 15 THB trips, I think it's 15min, if it takes longer, you pay more at exit

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Hehe. You must've never had the change problem.

Back in the states, if the bill's like $140.36, we give $150.36 expecting to get 10 bucks in change.

Thais really don't get this. For a 346 baht bill, I give 1046 baht hoping to get back 700 baht. Nope. They count it wrong or something, and I get back like 600 baht, and the bunch of coins I was trying to avoid. Heh.

I do this frequently and never have the problem you describe. Does it happen to you often? At the same shop? With the same staff member? How odd!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bbko said:

Easy to figure out with a modern cash register, try doing the same at a mom & pop store.

OP, according to their website, you should have been able to get a refund if you left the paid area within 5 minutes:

Passenger has entered the Paid Area but intends to leave the Paid Area at the same station within 5 minutes from the time of entering the Paid Area. Passenger must make request for refund at the Ticket Office before leaving the Paid Area.

https://www.bts.co.th/eng/tickets/ticket-conditions.html

Most people, Americans included, couldn't figure that out in their heads. I've seen people working it out with a pen and paper or a calculator.

If they have never had the idea to do it, it befuddles them

Yes it’s frustrating.  Once I got off at Nana BTS to go to Bumrungard hospital. I have a rabbit card and went out the wrong exit.  There was an older lady stationed at the gate but not wearing a uniform.  I explained to her what happened and asked if I could go back in to use the proper exit.  She understood me.  I even showed her the appointment confirmation on my phone.  She had this nasty look on her face and said I had to pay again.  
     Then a guy in the payment booth asked me what was wrong.  I told him.  He just smiled and laughed.  Then he opened the gate to allow me back in. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CLW said:

Maybe there is a station use fee of 16 Baht so you have to pay 1 baht extra.

How much is it from Punnawithi  to On Nut? 16 baht?

16 baht maybe the minimum fare to On Nut hence the extra 1B to exit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I do this frequently and never have the problem you describe. Does it happen to you often? At the same shop? With the same staff member? How odd!

Normally I ask the cashier if this will help usually they say yes