Phuket Taxi Mafia Going Crazy Again

Banana7

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

The phuket taxi mafia is really gouging tourists. A friend ordered a Grab taxi, cost for the trip was 160 baht, but he wouldn't come, too scared of the local mafia. Local taxi mafia wanted 600 baht for the same trip. After 2 years of very few or basically no tourists, it seems the taxi mafia want to make-up for lost profits. Phuket is definitely a place to avoid even if you get a cheap flight to it.

why change a business model that works so well? ????

• Haha 1

I love this follow up article by Phuket News where they confront the taxi driver and he claims the passengers insulted him and that 600 baht is a normal fare.  

https://www.thephuketnews.com/i-am-not-a-cheat-says-phuket-taxi-driver-82918.php

Especially the part where Phuket News basically calls the guy a liar.  

Mr Jesada continued his defence, deflecting the key issue by focussing on the claim that he had raised his middle finger at Mr Phol’s girlfriend.

Mr Jesada claimed he never did this. he said that he only pointed his finger in mr Phol’s face.

“You can see the evidence from the clip,” he said.

“I didn’t even turn to look at the woman because I assumed that she is her mother’s gender," he said.

What can be plainly seen in the video clips posted on TikTok is Mr Jetsada scolding Mr Phol’s girlfriend at close range shouting loudly and waving and pointing his finger close to her face while she recorded the incident on her phone.

It sounds as if I am one of the few people who hasn't been overcharged by a Phuket songthaew. I paid 20 baht for my journey in 1998. The songthaew driver actually apologised to me for picking up someone else on the way and making a small detour.

It's a big issue. It's seems the kindness and humility in the tourist industry is all but gone. But the tourists have changed too.

Backpackers were genuinely grateful to find and live simply in such a paradise. Involved themselves with the community and therefore kept the respect of the Thai people. 

With no connections between the tourists and the locals; it's seems more of an us and them situation these days, rather than mutual respect.

I respect rich and poor and have relatively few problems. 

I rented a car on a later visit, since the stories of overcharging were so prevalent. On holiday it's probably best to take the path of least resistance, as that is why you are in Thailand in the first place. To work out the kinks and stresses in your life. Not to add to them. Maybe don't drink so much that you cannot get yourself home ???? 

Edited by Bruno123

Making mountains out of molehills guys, one poster even goes as far as to say not a nice place to live because of this..............

So you get nicked 17-18US$ to get from the airport to Patong or Rawai, are you really going to let that ruin your holiday? Are you the guy that refuses to buy a BG an occasional ladydrink? Booo freakin hoo.

They don't pay the police diddly-squat so a lot of them drive cabs when not in the brown shirt and are armed. Knew one myself when I lived there. So best suck it up, know the score and ride with it, lest you upset an off duty cop AND GET SHOT.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 5

Had two weeks there in August Patong (sandbox) taxis and various vehicles everywhere due to a spasming back never felt overcharged or unsafe it was a very surprising pleasant cheap but painful stay apart from the numerous tramadol injections ????

• Like 1