“Working” around the house & garden, Work permit needed or nonsense?

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

He is just trying to justify his own laziness.

(I know because I do the same, but only with my wife;

"No Babe, I can't do the dishes, the police will arrest me")

Anyone doing the dishes here in Thailand and are married? ????

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I wish I didn't have to do so many jobs around the house, i'm quite willing to pay to have work done, unfortunately not only do they make a bad job, they normally end up breaking something else. Thiis the latest F up of having new windows and fly screens fitted. I have done a diagonal measurement of the fly screens and they are 25mm out of square on ALL 4 screens ! ???? ????

IMG_20220208_091354.thumb.jpg.0f4af2b014b600b79f758caa3a97550a.jpg

Not adjustable wheels? Just had them changed the wheels on my 3 doors yesterday, and also changed one mosquito screen with alu plate protection in the lower section for our dog and cat (not the frame)

12 wheels total 2 800,- bath total. And the doors sliding like new again

When it comes to work done by falangs I did read a section where it was mentioned foreigners was allowed to work at their property or their wife's property, but not sure where now. Somebody might now, but my best guess, the law is clear as the smoking law! Everybody know the law, but nobody know why they know

Edited by Hummin

11 minutes ago, loong said:

I haven't seen any details of the law for a few years now but I do remember that it is quite vague and defined work as using your skill or knowledge whether paid or not. There is also no mention of "work that could be done by a Thai".

A order done in 2018 changed the definition of work.

“To perform any professional work, regardless of whether or not there is an employer, but excluding the conduct of business of foreign business license holders according to the Foreign Business Act.”

Source: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZYhf0Xt6ktzXVILU1G7Kxuo3RKop00k8/view

14 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Yes of course. You took someone’s job. A Thai may have been paid to clean that rubbish up

Actually, I think the guy who asked him if he had a work permit was extracting the urine, a job reserved strictly for Thais. 

Hurt your hand working?  Was the would attended to by a THAI health professional.

Did you write a full accident report?

Was the Old PITA that admonished you qualified to give advice on Thai law?

After 30 yrs in LOS I have learned by experience that if you  want a job done properly, you ahve to do it yourself.  Except for those jbbs that Thais excel at:- labouring, anything to do with concrete or ricks,..

I thought that work was a paid activity?

While many of these examples are frivolous, there are some scenarios that could cause trouble.

For example, let's say you are a retired expat who is a fluent English language speaker. 

You might think it would be nice to invite some of the local high school students to your house at certain times outside of school to let them practice English conversation with you.  At no charge.

Now, if those students had been paying the local Thai English teacher for tutoring after class or on weekends...well, there might be an anonymous tip sent somewhere.

Word to the wise...

14 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If this were true then this forum would inundated with news stories everyday about foreigners being arrested and deported by immigration for doing everyday menial tasks around their homes.

Those BMW smart cars would be out and about 24/7 trying to round up all the rule breakers.

Which reminds me, I must change that leaking tap tomorrow morning...

Your last sentence , our water pump came on a few nights ago , it turned out to be a tap in the garden that was dripping.  I got a Thai to fix it , my wife wrapped PVC tape round the thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I wish I didn't have to do so many jobs around the house, i'm quite willing to pay to have work done, unfortunately not only do they make a bad job, they normally end up breaking something else. Thiis the latest F up of having new windows and fly screens fitted. I have done a diagonal measurement of the fly screens and they are 25mm out of square on ALL 4 screens ! ???? ????

IMG_20220208_091354.thumb.jpg.0f4af2b014b600b79f758caa3a97550a.jpg

I am sorry, friend, by measuring your screens you have deprived a Thai of work. Go to Jail, do not pass Go, do not collect 200. 

Or do you have a Get out of Jail Free card?

• Haha 1

I have a home in the city and also a work permit for my job. My wife inherited 6 rai of land from her father's farm up in the country. I am okay with tending my garden at home

in the city, but if I was to create a garden ( at a much larger scale) at the country farm, I suspect I could have issues immigration and/or the work permit people. 

Like many of those laws here and in other countries, the enforcement I think it comes down to how annoyed the local cops are with you ? Technically it probably is illegal.  I had heard of an expat painting the wifes house and got done for it because he was outside doing it,  was spotted by some locals who were house painters who got the cops and ... but that was only scuttlebut... and where does one draw the line ? mowing the lawn ? painting the house ? building a shed ? working on your car ? building a house ? I do thing it's best to be circumspect so you don't end up being an outlier.  The neighbor who coincidentally runs a landscpaing and lawn mowing service for example might get annoyed you are taking potential work from him.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, BumGun said:

Like many of those laws here and in other countries, the enforcement I think it comes down to how annoyed the local cops are with you ? Technically it probably is illegal.  I had heard of an expat painting the wifes house and got done for it because he was outside doing it,  was spotted by some locals who were house painters who got the cops and ... but that was only scuttlebut... and where does one draw the line ? mowing the lawn ? painting the house ? building a shed ? working on your car ? building a house ? I do thing it's best to be circumspect so you don't end up being an outlier.  The neighbor who coincidentally runs a landscpaing and lawn mowing service for example might get annoyed you are taking potential work from him.

Nothing to do with the local cops, only emmigration who deal with these kind of problems. Same as local police never chase yoy when speeding, not their concern

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bbko said:

he then got on his soapbox and proceeded to tell me I’m breaking the law, I could be arrested, I should hire a Thai to do the tree trimming

The only scenario that would ever likely happen is if a neighbour with a bit of clout and too much time on their hands had it in for you, and even then it’s not a thing. Immigration would not be interested. This working on one’s house thing pops up regularly. Technically, you are doing the job of a Thai, in reality it is ‘your’ place. Are you taking the job of a Thai when you make your breakfast?

On my place, painted it several times, renovated the interior, built a mega gazebo—welding, concrete/slab work etc—electrics, landscaping, carpentry etc etc over several years and EVERYONE knew including the busybody down the road who has ‘connections’. If anything I probably was breaking the law… whatever. Next time you see him, tell the barfly to stick to drinking sh11te beer. ????

Edited by daveAustin
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A order done in 2018 changed the definition of work.

“To perform any professional work, regardless of whether or not there is an employer, but excluding the conduct of business of foreign business license holders according to the Foreign Business Act.”

Source: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZYhf0Xt6ktzXVILU1G7Kxuo3RKop00k8/view

"To perform any professional work, regardless of whether or not there is an employer"

Still a bit vague though.

Practically any DIY that you do could be considered professional work.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TaoNow said:

While many of these examples are frivolous, there are some scenarios that could cause trouble.

For example, let's say you are a retired expat who is a fluent English language speaker. 

You might think it would be nice to invite some of the local high school students to your house at certain times outside of school to let them practice English conversation with you.  At no charge.

Now, if those students had been paying the local Thai English teacher for tutoring after class or on weekends...well, there might be an anonymous tip sent somewhere.

Word to the wise...

Some years back I was asked by a local  headmistress to give a lecture on English to a group from a branch of the Thai administration.

When I brought up the subject of a work  permit she said not a problem, unlikely the attendees will arrest you.

I still declined the offer. 

6 hours ago, Hummin said:

Not adjustable wheels? Just had them changed the wheels on my 3 doors yesterday, and also changed one mosquito screen with alu plate protection in the lower section for our dog and cat (not the frame)

12 wheels total 2 800,- bath total. And the doors sliding like new again

When it comes to work done by falangs I did read a section where it was mentioned foreigners was allowed to work at their property or their wife's property, but not sure where now. Somebody might now, but my best guess, the law is clear as the smoking law! Everybody know the law, but nobody know why they know

There is a paragraph in the marriage laws here in Thailand that goes something like " the husband must support his wife to his best abilities". It goes on to mention this includes physical assistance in general household matters.

Basically, that covers all of the jobs around the house and garden that have been mentioned on this topic.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, loong said:

"To perform any professional work, regardless of whether or not there is an employer"

Still a bit vague though.

Practically any DIY that you do could be considered professional work.

Doing stuff around the home is not work, it is a chore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1