Thai women need to be aware of Western Mother’s in-laws!!!!

webfact

2 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

One thing is fact; it never works with a bar girl or a girl of limited education. In as much as the groom is expected to absorb/intake quite a share of Thai culture (and it starts with Sinsod or dowry) as well as the fact, that he jumps into a caretaker post of financial support for people he does not know or never even has met. 

She needs to know, that Westerners eat out of plates and drink out of glasses, sit on a table, sleep on a bed and don't roam 500 miles on the back of a pick-up. Not every party or family gathering has to result in a total alcoholic black-out with local firewater at 500 decibel. Instead of the daily intake of Somtam and sticky rice, the Western cuisine, being not bland but considerably milder, usually features variations and yes, they use cutlery and not their hands. 

You can take a girl out of a bar but you will never get the bar out of a girl. I would assume that less than 10% of cross-cultural marriages work between Thais and Caucasians, simply because their background, social values and priorities and the monetary focus differ greatly - apart from the spirituality and social structure (Phooyai and Phee/Nong) which sets many things in rigid stone which are not to be queried. 

Interesting comment.

I kinda agree with the majority of what you say.

My Thai wife is close in age to me, and since she grew up in Chicago we share a lot of social and cultural stuff.

I'm not sure if I would have been able to deal with a real cross cultural relationship

It wouldn't be language, I speak Thai and Lao, but just the shared values that folks have.

We lived for years in Singapore before moving to Thailand, and for our son that was really hard, something which I will forever be sorry for, since he never really adjusted to the Thai culture until he moved to the US

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm not sure if I would have been able to deal with a real cross cultural relationship

It wouldn't be language, I speak Thai and Lao, but just the shared values that folks have.

Not sure I share any values with women from any country.

Can't see that Thai women have much difference from Brit women 'value' wise.

How long does it take to tell a Thai lady "get me another beer from the fridge"?

Failing that, how long did it take me to learn "Ow eek, kap" ........ about 2 minutes.

Edited by BritManToo

"But for many, they stay well clear of the young bar girls, and eventually meet a nice friendly Thai girl, who is actually keen on them personally as a boyfriend or even as a future husband."

But any young girl who is not a bar girl is a good girl right? 

Good luck!

I believe bar girls is no worse than any gold digging woman! 

There is reasons they choose a falang, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead, just hope you got the right tint on your glasses ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

I am astonished to see how naive some folks are.

The one you quoted is normally a hard bred and experienced ex mamasan. Thailand has 2 categories of women : A) The first one mentioned incl. young and old who will go with a Farang and come from your quoted background B) The second one who will frown at anything connected with a Farang except his money ( Business connected )

Rest is a myth.

Earlier or later it will reveal itself.

' Just as a pregnancy will be seen, the true character will show after a few months ' - African proverb.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

MILs generally are to be avoided! Thai MIL are also fierce expecting their children to give absolute preference to their family and treating their girls as a commodity. Farang MIL display the most appalling predjudice where their children are involved. Now if you could persuade both MILs to stay in a separate country to where you live! Result! Hopefully their IT skills are rudimentary!

• Haha 2