Video: "No justice" for Thai motorcycle delivery guy after collision with American driving golf buggy in luxury housing estate

webfact

The buggy  man was wrong, one should always look whether there is any car coming from behind before turning.

If it was a truck or bigger car coming from behind, the one getting hurt would be the buggy.

If the teenager had slowed down, he would have less serious injuries. Now there's a long-life injury, poor kid.

I see many Thai people also turning left/right before checking whether there are any cars coming from behind.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Speed speed speed. The Grab driver in the opposite direction was riding at a suitable speed for the road giving perspective. Speedy Gonzalez was going way too quickly and got quite some air at the end because of it.

I do wonder though why the golf buggies are left hand drive. Surely this is not suitable for places where we drive on the left.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The buggy  man was wrong, one should always look whether there is any car coming from behind before turning.

If it was a truck or bigger car coming from behind, the one getting hurt would be the buggy.

If the teenager had slowed down, he would have less serious injuries. Now there's a long-life injury, poor kid.

I see many Thai people also turning left/right before checking whether there are any cars coming from behind.

Check your mirrors! Check your mirrors! Do golf buggies have mirrors?

Over the years I've been in two accidents, first one driving a motorbike, another driving a car. Both times a motorbike tried to overtake right side when I was turning right. Over the years, I have had two accidents, the first on a motorcycle and the second on a car.  On both occasions, the motorcycle tried to pass from the right as I turned right.

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

The moto was going too fast for sure but do these Buggies even have turn signals and brake lights?

No, but that's assuming the turn signals would be used if present. In Thailand, usually more conspicuous by their absence.

I'm surprised the American did not have golf insurance, I regard it as essential. Although it's not clear whether the couple were playing golf.

• Confused 1

This Village is Nichada Thani, speed limited is 30km/h. Well most delivery services include bikes do believe this does not mean a thing to them. The buddy was in his lane yet turning but why the bike took over within the

lane. It is not that Samakee Police had been paid to help a foreigner. I lived in that village and my daughter 

went to school there for 10 years. Bike wrong done. I am also VERY sure the foreigner tried to contact the family at the hospital finding out it gets fishy and stopped contacting them.

Beside Nichada Thani is PRIVATE PROPERTY. It is NOT a public road. Anyway do not get a too big heart.

While sorry fr the biker I hope he learned a lesson to concentrate and wash when driving. 

MH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Three weeks had a young Thai guy on a motorcycle rip off the rear right side of my bumper whilst he was dodging in and out of traffic at high speed as they do.

He was very lucky sustaining cuts and grazes. No helmet, flip flops, no insurance, no ID but he was wearing a mask! 

Police on the scene quickly, motorcyclist was whipped away by one of "those" ambulances. My ID was taken from me by a senior police offer who had decided to come to the scene of a minor traffic accident and I was told to go to the local police station to see him and make another statement after the insurance guy had evaluated the scene. The "local" police station was 15 miles away!

Arrived at the police station with the insurance assessor and went in to the office of the senior police officer. The insurance assessor pointed out to the officer that my car was absolutely straight in the lane and that my car was stationary waiting in traffic when hit by the motorcyclist, in addition I had front and rear cameras.

Then I went home and prepared to get the car fixed.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, tgw said:

yes, the buggy driver technically was "a little" at fault for not using a hand signal, but the motorcycle driver was more at fault.
the buggy was hit while still in its own lane.

the motorcycle was driving too fast for the situation and did not maintain safety distance, and did not assess the situation before overtaking.

I agree but the m/c is the injured one so he can claim from the other guy. That's the law here.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sambum said:

Serious question - does the fact that the accident happened on a private estate and not a public road have any bearing on the issue?

Possibly, and why the buggy driver wasn't cited for driving unregistered, uninsured vehicle...maybe.   In which case, begs to ask, why the MB driver was cited at all, if so.

Would not 'private property' rights extend to both, unless Thai traffic laws trump private streets.

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

well trying to anyway. so far the police have sided with the american. its the thai family that are in the wrong by not apologising for their son's reckless driving

i guess that's why he's going to the court of social media to attempt to get a more preferable result

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Yes, if it's private property the vehicle doesn't need registration. I've seen lots of photos of folks who are 99 not out driving golf buggies on roads in retirement villages in Florida and I have seen it in gated enclaves in Australia. Vehicles are still subject to road laws in these enclaves by local government regulation similar to shopping centre car parks.

I am asking about Thailand and is the road the buggy was on really private land and if not was it legal to be driven there?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Three weeks had a young Thai guy on a motorcycle rip off the rear right side of my bumper whilst he was dodging in and out of traffic at high speed as they do.

He was very lucky sustaining cuts and grazes. No helmet, flip flops, no insurance, no ID but he was wearing a mask! 

Police on the scene quickly, motorcyclist was whipped away by one of "those" ambulances. My ID was taken from me by a senior police offer who had decided to come to the scene of a minor traffic accident and I was told to go to the local police station to see him and make another statement after the insurance guy had evaluated the scene. The "local" police station was 15 miles away!

Arrived at the police station with the insurance assessor and went in to the office of the senior police officer. The insurance assessor pointed out to the officer that my car was absolutely straight in the lane and that my car was stationary waiting in traffic when hit by the motorcyclist, in addition I had front and rear cameras.

Then I went home and prepared to get the car fixed.

was with a gf who was involved in a collision, due to the other driver being an idiot, she got onto the insurance company straight away, and a guy turned up remarkably quickly, this was, she said, to help prevent potential dodgyness by the RTP

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I see no indicators or rear view mirrors and the buggy is turning on a pedestrian crossing. The buggy driver has to give way to vehicles behind him before turning. The moto rider was in a position to see that there was nobody on or near the pedestrian crossing. The buggy driver is civilly liable by driving in a dangerous manner. He turned into the moto rider who was traveling in a constant direction.

disclaimer: I'm a qualified driving instructor. Thai road laws are very similar to those in the west.

I tend to agree with u. Apportioned liability 80% buggy driver n 20% motorbike for driving too fast 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

It is interesting how the buggy driver started to get out (presumably to help the motor cyclist), but the lady waved him back. I suspect that lady told him in no uncertain terms not to visit the lad in hospital or to otherwise have contact.

If he was a decent bloke he would probaby feel obliged to offer some assistance even if he had no legal liability. The lady probably knew this and told him to stay away.

they want publicity in order to make the american pay money for losses from his lack of working … 

however in the couple of seconds it took me to watch this video i noticed 2 factors that tell me not only the bike was going much faster he was also overtaking on a zebra crossing … and was to close to overtake safely to… 

he will be very lucky if this doesn’t backfire and he himself might well face prostitution 

my advice drop the claim and hope 

9 minutes ago, NemoH said:

I tend to agree with u. Apportioned liability 80% buggy driver n 20% motorbike for driving too fast 

ok to overtake on a zebra crossing ? 

i’m sure the buggy wouldn’t of expected anyone to be on top of him there. and to close at that .. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

they want publicity in order to make the american pay money for losses from his lack of working … 

however in the couple of seconds it took me to watch this video i noticed 2 factors that tell me not only the bike was going much faster he was also overtaking on a zebra crossing … and was to close to overtake safely to… 

he will be very lucky if this doesn’t backfire and he himself might well face prostitution 

my advice drop the claim and hope 

"and he himself might well face prostitution"

Brilliant, funniest quote I've seen all week!

????????????????

Edited by roo860
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I see no indicators or rear view mirrors and the buggy is turning on a pedestrian crossing. The buggy driver has to give way to vehicles behind him before turning. The moto rider was in a position to see that there was nobody on or near the pedestrian crossing. The buggy driver is civilly liable by driving in a dangerous manner. He turned into the moto rider who was traveling in a constant direction.

disclaimer: I'm a qualified driving instructor. Thai road laws are very similar to those in the west.

Totally disagree with you. The onus is on the person passing to be aware what is happening in front of him. Whether signals are used is another issue, did the moto rider signal he was going to pass the golf buggy?. I have no control over a person coming up behind and what speed they are doing. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1