Thailand set to increase daily minimum wage to 492 baht

webfact

31 minutes ago, Pravda said:

My wife works in the auto industry. Thai factories can't pay these wages. The bigger problem is they will have a lot of trouble recruiting sales staff as now the starting salary for people with university degrees will be on par with every minimum wage job. I know these are still low wages, but this is not how the world works. They increased the minimum wage in Canada and now there is more poverty than ever due to astronomical real estate prices and high grocery prices. 

Yamaha is dumping everything in Thailand except the motorbike business by 2023.

Correct, this will never happen.

An increase of 5-10% is more feasible but even then...

Perhaps a starting point would be to determine what current wages are.

Around us the going rate for gardeners, building labour is Bht500/day, for skilled building workers, brick layers, carpenters, electricians etc it’s Bht700~900 a day.

I suspect anyone with options is already earning over Bht500/day, but of course people in provincial villages shackled to debt might not be able to get a decent pay, especially if working for their lender.

• Like 2

Last time a Thai government made a high raise in minimum wages - from 200 baht a day to 300 baht a day - prices increased soon after the wage increase; some workers even complained that they could buy more for their money before the minimum wage was increased.

Smaller steps of wage increases might not result in a high price hike.

A better way might be demand and supply. News media have reported about employers that are willing to pay double or even more of the minimum wage for skilled workers. But to negotiate wages "privately" - i.e. not at government level - might need strong, or stronger, labor unions.

In a way a high hike of minimum wage seems like kind of vote buying or government populism here and now, which on little longer term might not be a benefit for the low paid workers...????

Even you may think that 335 baht or 392 baht a day is a very low wage, which it is when converted to a Western country's money and compared, but that doesn't unveil buying power, which is difficult to compare due to different life styles.

If we for comparison instead look at a local produced product that is the same all over the World, we can look at chicken eggs; i.e. how many eggs can you buy for you salary after income tax.

I'll compare to my home country Denmark, which is one of the few countries without government set minimums wages, but wages fully negotiated by the partners on the work market, i.e. employers and mainly labor unions, called "The Danish Model". Denmark is also a high wage country, among the very highest in the World, and also number one in income taxation; and note that people on minimum wage don't pay income tax in Thailand, but they do in Denmark.

A Danish minimum wage is in the level of 20,000 dkk (Danish kroner) per month, after income tax it's in average 13,000 dkk (income tax is slightly depending of which area/community you live in), no labor union fee and unemployment insurance deducted.

A Thai minimum wage is by now in the level of 8,250 baht per month, with the new higher minimum wage it will be 12,300 baht per month, both with no social security deducted.

One egg in a Danish supermarket at the moment costs around 2.50 dkk (the more expensive organics eggs are 3 dkk each), one egg in a Thai supermarket costs 3 baht (Lotus's sells 30 eggs for 90 baht at the moment).

So a Danish worker on minimum wage can buy 5,200 egg for one months salary.

A Thai worker on minimum wage can buy 2,750 egg for one month's salary, which makes the Danish worker have only 89 percent higher income - you would probably had expected it was more...:whistling:

Take into comparison that Thailand has a lower level of basic school education and in general is in the lower level of income, compared to Denmark that is the very top.

Comparing minimum salaries in currency, however paints a different image, i.e. 8,250 baht equals $250, while 13,000 dkk equals $2,000, here the Danish worker has a 700 percent higher income.

The new high minimum wage of 12,300 baht per month, will - if the price of eggs don't increase - equal a buying power for 4,100 eggs. If the eggs price - and other prices - increase, the buying power of the wage increase is lower.

A huge minimum wage increase might boost inflation, which is not good if it become more the 2 percent year-to-year, according to the financial experts. We are close to the 2 percent year-to-year at the moment, if you disregard the Covid pandemic price drop. From 31st December 2019 till 31st December 2021 the Thai consumer price index increase was 1.89 percent, i.e. around 1 percent per year. End of January 2022 it peaked by adding another percentage. Consumer price index is an average, if you look isolated at diesel oil and pork meat, the picture is of course very different...????

• Like 2