Would you agree now could be the time to buy bricks and mortar again?

webfact

House and flat rental prices are way down in Chiang Mai if you can find a tenant .

One could say it is a good time to buy on the basis the market will strengthen when tourism makes a recovery .

Baht will increase in value as tourism grows . 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

House and flat rental prices are way down in Chiang Mai if you can find a tenant .

One could say it is a good time to buy on the basis the market will strengthen when tourism makes a recovery .

Baht will increase in value as tourism grows . 

So far this month that appears to be the case......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

If you have a healthy liquidity, buy some land and rent the house you live in. That's what we do. Rent-to-price ratio is ridiculously low. We live in a nice house and will move to another in a couple of years without having to worry about maintenance. Fantastic.

No soi dogs in your mooban then?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Does that truly exist anymore.

Maybe if you can find people that are desperate for money.

and will sell at a good price. but other than that, the days of big profits on land have already been had long a go.

Spend big money on land now days could be bad news down the road, leave your cash in your home country and invest there.

Also you can't trust Thailand now days. when it comes to rules and regulations. they will happily sell you on down the river and not care a hoot.

Buyer beware.

We all did great vawes but also some did hit hard the rock bottom on the previous economic turbolence, and the next one to come after COVID, will make many savers loose Alot more. We are being warned but do small investors like me and you listen?

I have nothing to loose, so I stay out of stock marked, just 50k euro locked up at the moment in low risk long term investment. The rest spread on downpaid property and some gold. Right now, I wish I had more. 

I do not calculate the land in Thailand as my investment, since that is a bonus (my bonus) if she keeps me to the bitter end. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

A friend of mine

A friend for all occasions. If I posted about my trip down the Lower Zambezi River, some would come on here to post "I have a friend who just took a trip down the Lower Zambezi River and he said ..."

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

He walked into one of the nicest towers, looked at a 36th floor unit with panoramic views, and when he was quoted 28,000 a month, he offered 10,000. They settled on 13,000. He said the agent more or less admitted the building was nearly empty, and they could not rent to sell anything, at this time.

Never. Trust. A. Thai.

This is Thailand.

3 hours ago, LarrySR said:

How long do reinforced concrete towers last?

A 12 story condo in Florida collapsed last year, crushing 100 occupants.

Apparently there was bad design, construction shortcuts, corrupt city officials, greedy developer, crappy maintenance.....that would never happen in Thailand, right?

I predict the towers built in the 1990s will start to be condemned or collapse before their 40th birthday.

555  Well, we have an optimist on our hands, folks!   Some of you will remember the poster who said all the highrises will come crashing to the ground after 30 years.  Nice to hear we've been granted an extra 10 years!   Uhh.  Hold on.  Now that I think of it, another poster said, no, not 30 years--they'll all start crashing down after 20 years.   So, if we average them, we're back at 30.  <deleted>.   Hard hats are on Aisle 7 at Home Pro.  Avoid the rush.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Nothing but a plug for DotProperty. There is no mention of rocketing construction costs including a new minimum daily labour charge and the huge increases in steel and construction materials, coupled with increased transportation costs and international logistics. All of this will affect prices and profits of developers  .... and in a very soft and fragile economy.

The increased construction costs that you highlighted are correct. It will cause a major shake out of construction companies especially the smaller construction companies. 

The large companies especially those listed in SET will be able to manage costs more effectively than their smaller peers, they are also in a position to buy larger land bank which would reduce project development cost. They can also undertake several projects simultaneously which improves economies of scale. Beyond this, they benefit from stronger branding and marketing networks. They will benefit from the improved economic conditions, proliferation of infrastructures especially the trains and very likely government stimulus measures targeted at the real estate sector which contribute 8% to the GDP. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:
The increased construction costs that you highlighted are correct. It will cause a major shake out of construction companies especially the smaller construction companies. 

The large companies especially those listed in SET will be able to manage costs more effectively than their smaller peers, they are also in a position to buy larger land bank which would reduce project development cost. They can also undertake several projects simultaneously which improves economies of scale. Beyond this, they benefit from stronger branding and marketing networks. They will benefit from the improved economic conditions, proliferation of infrastructures especially the trains and very likely government stimulus measures targeted at the real estate sector which contribute 8% to the GDP. 

Improved economic conditions?

With the borders still effectively shut?

40 million tourists reduced to 400,000.

The only thing that will improve Thai real estate is even more creative accounting practices so that the real book value is never put on a Thai banks accounts.

No fire sales, just keep building properties that no one wants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1