Delicious sausages may pose health risks

webfact

25 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Fear mongering, can you expand on this for at least me....I mean it is known that most sausages/hot dogs etc...are known carcinogens and cancer causing.  Not scaremongering but at least one knows what's possible.

https://www.bannerhealth.com/healthcareblog/teach-me/who-hot-dogs-and-sausages-cause-cancer-now-what

The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified processed meat as carcinogenic, or cancer-causing, to humans. It’s in the same category as cigarettes and alcohol. Think about that for a second. Cigarettes, alcohol, processed meat. All bad for you.

I think though there's a big difference between fresh premium sausages I buy in Australia which, I hope, use pretty good meat and not much preservative and they go bad like normal meat. You can tell when you cook them not much fat and not salty. A step down are normal cheap sausages, and a step down from that is hot dogs, and worse still is processed meats such as salami and cabana. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

Just now, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I think though there's a big difference between fresh premium sausages I buy in Australia which, I hope, use pretty good meat and not much preservative. You can tell when you cook them not much fat and not salty. A step down are normal cheap sausages, and a step down from that is hot dogs, and worse still is processed meats such as salami and cabana. 

And at the bottom of the barrel are the Thai "sausages" sold in 7/11 as a poster has remarked earlier.  More like offal in a skin.

• Haha 1

786,000 died of sausage last year. No, wait I think it was something else. I watched a show a few years back that listed natural foods that were carcinogenic. Beansprouts was high on the list, but as was mentioned, nobody would ever eat enough to really cause any harm. No long ago they were searching for the cause of a high rate stomach cancer in one region of China. It turned out to be an edible mushroom that was popular in the area. So, I think, unless you are a 3 pack a day sausage eater, you can probably find some else to worry about.

Edited by bunnydrops
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Correct. Real sausages  are made with fresh  ground meat. The smoked hot dogs,  save lots and weiners  etc are not sausages,  are not fresh and indeed are loaded with chemicals  not found in real sausages. Its a misleading image, headline and article and a story two decades old.

Saveloys  not save lots

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Correct. Real sausages  are made with fresh  ground meat. The smoked hot dogs,  save lots and weiners  etc are not sausages,  are not fresh and indeed are loaded with chemicals  not found in real sausages. Its a misleading image, headline and article and a story two decades old.

AFAIK saveloys, hot dogs and weiners are mostly cereal, with a bit of meat extract flavoring.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

AFAIK saveloys, hot dogs and weiners are mostly cereal, with a bit of meat extract flavoring.

If the wife puts cereal in our sausages, that's grounds for divorce.

Many of the 'sausages' sold here / Thailand, are simply rice with meat flavoring.  Though I don't think that is what the thread is referring to.

Sausage is too vague a term here and way too 'woke / all inclusive'

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A must read article

https://www.eatthis.com/whats-really-in-your-hot-dog/

Take a look at the ingredient list of Ball Park's Classic Hot Dogs: Mechanically Separated Chicken, Pork, Water, Corn Syrup, Potassium Lactate, Contains 2% Or Less: Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Beef Stock, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate, Maltodextrin, Paprika Extract, Sodium Nitrite.

Now, let's dive into each of these to explain what they are, why they're in your hot dog, and what they can do to your body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Fear mongering, can you expand on this for at least me....I mean it is known that most sausages/hot dogs etc...are known carcinogens and cancer causing.  Not scaremongering but at least one knows what's possible.

https://www.bannerhealth.com/healthcareblog/teach-me/who-hot-dogs-and-sausages-cause-cancer-now-what

The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified processed meat as carcinogenic, or cancer-causing, to humans. It’s in the same category as cigarettes and alcohol. Think about that for a second. Cigarettes, alcohol, processed meat. All bad for you.

The cancer-causing component of processed meats is nitrite, used as a preservative. In the presence of amines in an acidic environment, nitrite forms nitrosamines, which are known human carcinogens. As Paracelsus said, the dose makes the poison. Eating sausages with nitrite preservative once a week is statistically unlikely to kill a person, eating them every day increases the probability. Perhaps it is worth noting some bacon is preserved with nitrite too.

It's a bit ironic nitrite occurs naturally in human saliva.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

That's more than I put into my sausages, unfortunately my chicken separating machine is in for repairs.

Full ingredients for my homemades:

• Pork shoulder (or mince)
  • Sage
  • Salt
  • White pepper
  • Nutmeg
  • Rusk
  • Natural skins
  • No artificial flavouring
  • No artificial colouring
  • No artificial preservatives

123.jpg

Got to say....I am more interested in what I put my sausage in as opposed to what I put in my sausage.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

However, when this processed food product is not made to the highest of standards, it can be harmful to the health, causing food poisoning or building up in the body with often disastrous effects.

Looking at most Thai offerings I wouldn't touch one with someone elses barge-pole.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

In a long discussion with my respected doctor in Australia I asked him what I can do to limit my chances of heart attach and/or stroke. A quick summay of his response:

- A big reducion in alcohol intake and stop altogether if you can.

- Reduce coffee down to 1 cup/mug per day, in the morning.

- Plenty of fresh water, e,g, 4 or 5 big glasses of water every day and after exercise/walk around the block etc. He agrees with the concept of waking up once or twice during the night to drink a glass of water.

- Take a blood thinner every day (same time of day if you can, e.g. Cardiprin).

- Reduce the oversall size of meals if you can.

- Reduce red meat a lot.

- Zero processed meats; sausages, cooked ham, etc., etc.

- Ensure you have fruit and veg every day / several times every day, doctors' own diet (re fruit and veg etc.), one orange, one apple, one banana every day and any other fruit on hand and at least one carrot every day, potatoes and cooked onions etc., regularly but potatoes in small quantities.

- Garlic every day, can be garlic tablets if you find eating garlic raw or cooked to be unpleasant.

- Daily exercise, even just a walk around the block.

That's all I can remember. 

I hope you come out of your coma soon.......????

Where I hail from we call them 'mystery bags', never eaten them, along with fish balls in Los (well not since the horrific toxins disclosure years back about them) and don't intend to ever do so.

Gai tod is definitely on the menu though!

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

About the last meat product on Earth I would choose to eat........God knows what is in them.

And if the Manufacturing Process is undertaken in such squalid and filthy conditions as they were in a Factory that was busted a Month or so ago, for selling Sausages with too many additive in, then I am really surprised we are all not walking around and glowing Green.

The Photos published on this Forum were absolutely Gross.

And this " Factory " alone made over 100 Brands of Sausage

Yuk !

• Like 1

It all depends on how they are made and what's in them. Criticising sausages because you don't know what's in them is ridiculous for that very reason. 

Some years ago I used to work for a butcher doing deliveries and sometimes I had to mix the ingredients for the sausages so I knew what was in them. It definitely wasn't sweepings off the floor.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nikmar said:

Delicious sausages may pose health risks

Those things from 7 11 arew a lot of things but they are not delicious!!!

The Isaan Sausages  ((Soi Krok Isaan I think they are called) that I buy from street food vendors are next level delicious, I'd hate to think what is in them !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

In a long discussion with my respected doctor in Australia I asked him what I can do to limit my chances of heart attach and/or stroke. A quick summay of his response:

- A big reducion in alcohol intake and stop altogether if you can.

- Reduce coffee down to 1 cup/mug per day, in the morning.

- Plenty of fresh water, e,g, 4 or 5 big glasses of water every day and after exercise/walk around the block etc. He agrees with the concept of waking up once or twice during the night to drink a glass of water.

- Take a blood thinner every day (same time of day if you can, e.g. Cardiprin).

- Reduce the oversall size of meals if you can.

- Reduce red meat a lot.

- Zero processed meats; sausages, cooked ham, etc., etc.

- Ensure you have fruit and veg every day / several times every day, doctors' own diet (re fruit and veg etc.), one orange, one apple, one banana every day and any other fruit on hand and at least one carrot every day, potatoes and cooked onions etc., regularly but potatoes in small quantities.

- Garlic every day, can be garlic tablets if you find eating garlic raw or cooked to be unpleasant.

- Daily exercise, even just a walk around the block.

That's all I can remember. 

Did he also tell you that eating eggs and shrimp cause high cholesterol?

A lot of these sausages have additives, preservatives, sugar, MSG on it that is harmful in the long run. It's delicious but not healthy.

That's why I always choose unprocessed fresh food.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1