Prayuth: You're free to brew your own booze - just read the fine print

webfact

10 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I guess if they know what they are doing it's not so bad.......but easy to kill a dozen or so people when you get it wrong.

It used to be made a lot some years ago ,by steaming khow-neeo ,sticky rice ,then you used to be able to buy some flour to mix with the rice ,then you just ferment it down ,the wife said  never  any problems in getting it wrong .

Just a Thai version of moonshine,needles to say well illegal. 

• Thanks 1

So much for the House Speaker's comments saying to go ahead to  brew or distill

She obviously in her position has no idea of how the law works, stupid woman.

It needs a law change & to be gazetted first, believe me the the "super rich"" who control this industry will ensure this never happens 

• Like 1

This is purely for interest and in no way suggested for Thailand officer.  ????

I used to make beer and wine in the UK, and freeze distil some bland wine to spirit - strong tasting wine gives a spirit with way too much flavour to drink.  In the winter, when the temperature is below freezing, just leave it overnight in a covered bucket outside the back door.  In the morning take out the ice and throw it away, it's just water.  Do that for several nights and get seriously potent spirit.  I see no reason why you couldn't do that in a freezer too.  Zero chance of methanol as you're not heating it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:
11 hours ago, mania said:

When the locals drink it they sweat a lot & get thoroughly smashed

Good times with the sweaty locals.

Probably the only time they sweat as much as I do, all the time.

• Haha 1

Hey Will B Good, it looks like Thailand has a ways to go to get to the India level of

alcohol poisoning league.  There have been many people around the world who have

died from home made alcohol brews.  Strange, but after I have had a glass of hooch, I just cannot seem to be able to

read the fine print.

11 hours ago, mick220675 said:

I have been making fruit wines for years, 2 years ago I made the jump to beer. Every thing required is available on lazada, including a good choice of hops. It's a very enjoyable hobby.

Can you pm me your recipe and methodology please?

• Like 1

She said that the cabinet has instructed the Finance Ministry to amend its regulations regarding liquor production in a way that does not restrict the right of the public to produce liquor for non-commercial purposes.

She said that controls on the safety standards of the liquor and on environmental impacts from the production process are, nonetheless, still mandatory.

Sincere question here...  How do you meet that requirement? 

Do you just do it "correctly", or is there some kind of registration, approval and/or inspection required in advance?   Is there a published standard?

Or do you just have to wing it and hope to stay off the radar?

Move Forward MP for Bangkok, Taopiphop Limjittrakorn, who initiated the draft bill...

Taopiphop has long been known as a campaigner against oligopoly in liquor production, as he himself was arrested five years ago for brewing his own craft beer.

Was he arrested for brewing craft beer, or just for running against the good guys?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

said people should be free to do so, though they must be restricted from selling the liquor. 

I thought a large reason for brewing their own alcohol is so that the domestic economy in Thailand could open up, instead of relying only on tourism for profits. 

I read too many parallels between this and the marijuana idea they had which went from 2 plants to only male plants for CBD and hemp purposes. I can already see this idea being cut back more and more over time like they've done with "Marijuana" 

IMO, these things only help the domestic Thai economy, rather than relying on tourism to control the economy. But, as a non-Thai maybe their are cultural reasons for this that we don't understand

12 hours ago, freedomnow said:

I definitely do with right brand....like feeling of a couple of beers

for about 2 hours.

Very good. You take it orally? A few drops under tongue?

Certainly cheaper and easier to obtain than THC oil.

18 hours ago, Guderian said:

There are plenty of recipes for making pineapple beer on the internet, when South Africa banned booze sales due to Covid it kind of became the national drink down there. Pineapples are dirt cheap here, so why not give it a go?

I have made Pineapple wine and ginger beer. 

12 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Lao Khao you could buy on the streets most anywhere usually from a trolley bar. It was served in shot glasses for 5 baht a pop. Not seen any for a while though, last time was under the bridge at the Petchaburi end of Thong Law and another in a similar position at the Sukhumvit end of Ekamai in 2015.

Mekhong or Sang Thip were the brands, one I think is where Thai Bev made its money.

The bar under the bridge next to Thonglor Pier is still there as far as I know, but it sells yaa dong, not straight lao khao.

22 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I guess if they know what they are doing it's not so bad.......but easy to kill a dozen or so people when you get it wrong.

22 hours ago, mania said:

White Lightning has been around for years in the villages.

Made from rice

When the locals drink it they sweat a lot & get thoroughly smashed

Here he is. George Jones singing White Lightning.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Fermenting to make wine or beer, you cant really go wrong, its only when you start distilling alcohol that things can go wrong if you dont know what your doing!

Yes, it can turn into methanol (toxic) rather than ethanol when making spirits (the blue flame test).

22 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Nobody dies or goes blind from "home made" alcohol. It's only when it is unscrupulously spiked with methanol for resale that this happens. The term for this is bootlegging, as in bootlegged alcohol which is NOT the same as homemade. Nobody is going to spike their own booze with methanol. Duh. You do know the difference between ethanol and methanol, right? Most of us do. That's why God gave us wikipedia. Thanks for helping to spread misinformation. 

I've known that for a very long time (duh). I learnt about such things when working in Saudi Arabia.

'Bad' alcohol = methanol
'Good' alcohol = ethanol

There's a flame test for it. As I learnt in chemistry at school, a yellow flame is a 'dirty' flame, a blue flame is a 'clean' flame.

Edited by Andrew65

23 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Oh really!!

During my time living among the mountains of Lanna in the North, most local villages had illicit stills and the resulting Lao Khao was sold to the locals, especially at festivals. If my memory is correct, it cost 20 baht per litre!!

Stock photo of "local" distillery:-

Behind the scenes at a Lao Khao rice alcohol distillery • Flipside Travel

Indeed. 

As this has been the norm forever throughout every locality in the country - regardless of the restrictions here and there. Quite understood and accepted. Word of mouth guides one to who is distilling the better hooch and the community keeps it to themselves. 20-40B per litre bag might be common place. 

The proposed and repeated myth that some batches might be tainted [usually from outsiders whom don't understand or have knowledge of the society] is always kin to hearsay, as those who are experienced are quite apt at what they're doing. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 1:55 PM, Guderian said:

There are plenty of recipes for making pineapple beer on the internet, when South Africa banned booze sales due to Covid it kind of became the national drink down there. Pineapples are dirt cheap here, so why not give it a go. 

There is already Thai wine made from pineapples so beer must be possible. 

On 3/30/2022 at 3:05 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

You do know the difference between ethanol and methanol, right? Most of us do. That's why God gave us wikipedia.

So can you TASTE the methanol via Wikipedia?

22 minutes ago, rott said:

There is already Thai wine made from pineapples so beer must be possible. 

What's the difference...pineapple wine or beer. I guess if it is over say 8% ABV it would be classed as wine.