Is land in Thailand in a bubble right now?

Location location,

The same area of land elsewhere in Thailand will be totally different may be 100k or less.

Its all about where and what the locals are getting, expecially in a Farang/Tourist dense area like Chiang Msi or Pattaya etc.

• Like 1

I agree prices on land are stupid crazy. If 1 million baht is near $30,000 then double that for an acre.  I think 60K dollars for a bit less than an acre is pretty high. Wonder if the price will come down if there is a change in the government; next election of course?

• Haha 2

Depending if there is electric/water easily connected that sounds cheap to me, where I live which is not anywhere near major tourist destinations or big cities but admittedly is close to town you are talking 3/4 million baht per rai

It's all down to supply and demand.

The demand is close to town, that's where the least supply is.

As a rule of thumb, spend 40% on Land and 60% on Building.  Buy cheap land out in the sticks and don't expect to ever sell what you build on it.

The further from town you live, the less likely you are to make a go of living in Thailand and never, under any circumstances, ever build in your wife's village.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have no idea who, what or where Columbia SC is but $11,000 dollars sounds very cheap. In regional NSW an ordinary block, with services, is going to cost you $200,000+. Regional Thailand is still cheap by comparison.

Khao Kho is a Thai tourist area and land prices are 2 or 3 times that down in the valley. We paid 2M per rai (water & electricity), or about AUD 80,000. Still cheap compared to Australia.

• Like 2

Yes, I agree with the poster above who said that you must compare land an equal distance outside of DC or Chicago, or LA or SF - Thailand is a small country and there is less land available... 

That said, I too was stunned at the comparisons, but the market is such that it keeps going up and most sellers are content to wait... every once in a while people get a bargain, but not that often. 

I think there are relatively few landholders and they have *enough* money to tide their families over. Therefore, they can sit on the land in perpetuity. Especially true in BKK.

The individual sellers are just chancers happy to put a sign out and wait years.

Marginal land from Krabi to Nothaburi ridiculous prices.

Condos are stagnant. Much the same story.

Banks won't let land go *under market* they'll have to take the loss on the books.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I agree prices on land are stupid crazy. If 1 million baht is near $30,000 then double that for an acre.  I think 60K dollars for a bit less than an acre is pretty high. Wonder if the price will come down if there is a change in the government; next election of course?

Land in Thailand is not measured in acres it is measured in Ria 1 ria=1600sq meters.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Location location,

The same area of land elsewhere in Thailand will be totally different may be 100k or less.

Its all about where and what the locals are getting, expecially in a Farang/Tourist dense area like Chiang Msi or Pattaya etc.

As a rough gauge for you on Land Prices, the plots for sale in my location, which is about 15 KM from Pattaya are now asking about 3 Million ( Off track, no water, need leveling Etc ) to about 5 + Million on the side of the Main Trunk Road.

Just last week my Wifes friend sold a 1 Ngan Plot (400 Sq M ), not on the main Trunk Road , for 1.8 Million

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The landowners gets high prices (bubble ) while the rest of the kingdom goes through tough times . There is such a disparity between the have and have nots. 

the status quo keeps trucking like nothing changes in the economy . Sad times for the rest but good times who own land that appreciates with no market adjustment cause they can hold on forever ..

• Like 1

current laws, future laws, world going crazy....

always buy back home.  never buy abroad.  only rent.  only.   100%, no matter what.

then when the fan gets hit....oh no, it's something hitting the fan......anyhow, you can get out!!!!

why are diamond prices still high?

i am the illuminati......but i cannot share such information.   so 99.999% will never understand how things work.  land in CM is one of those things.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Land in Thailand is not measured in acres it is measured in Ria 1 ria=1600sq meters.

Yes, 1 acre is about 2.5 rai.

Building lots are usually not less than 100 tw (1/4 rai / 400m²)

image.png.620d8f6384e2f0cb52dee1b99dbadce2.png

image.png.f084eeed3652c219907f4e7e54a6c8b0.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bojo said:

.I think the days of buying cheap land in Thailand are long gone, but then 'cheap' is all relative of course........................

Compared to the Sydney market, Thailand is extremely VERY VERY VERY cheap.

This vacant land parcel sold down the road from my old place last October which is about 16km's out of the Sydney CBD, not an affluent area by far.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-bexley-137429018

In Thai baht using 25 baht to the AUS $ that comes to 45 million odd baht, then you have to add another 25 million baht to build a house on it, so 45 million baht vs whatever your paying for a Rai, (1,600 square metres) would be dirt cheap, remember, the land that sold in the link is only 607 square metres, couldn't even build a duplex on it.

Whatever you pay for land here in Thailand it's "dirt" cheap compared to my home country.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

I don't know about bubble or not.  But land prices, specifically red garuda deeds, are very expensive when you compare to rural 1st world nations.

I've even done comparisons to Panama, Nicaragua, etc.  And prices there are cheaper, and you get better views.

Go to rural Scandinavia, Canada, or 50km from town USA, and prices there are extremely cheaper.

I feel it should be the other way around, as Thailand is a military lead 3rd world country with high pollution.

That being said, scarcity and limited options for Thai people drive up prices that help explain the prices versus global market rates.  As that is often not a choice for Thai people, only foreigners.

tl;dr:  If you only care about land at a good price, anywhere in the world, don't look here.

• Like 1