Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Unlike Toyota, who showcased their 'concept' EV pick up back in 2022's auto show, and nothing came of it (sound familiar (think their EV line up & hydrogen).  Just now a pilot program, using the Toyota EV pick ups for baht buses, and all of 9 vehicles being tested :cheesy:

Isuzu going all in 👍 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Never trust any video that is that low resolution. You are easily fooled (which explains how you believe any anti-EV rubbish that gets posted). Fact check:

Thanks for this.

Why do we have to FactCheck everything that the AntiEvers post? Because it’s either unsubstantiated or BS

as @mistral53 reminded us on page 213 

“Don’t feed the Trolls”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Thanks for this.

Why do we have to FactCheck everything that the AntiEvers post? Because it’s either unsubstantiated or BS

as @mistral53 reminded us on page 213 

“Don’t feed the Trolls”

Just the same way it is also a good idea 💡 to FactCheck EV propaganda. There are deceiving information floating around in both camps.

Thanks @josephbloggs for the FactCheck, although my version was funnier 😊

Back to the US embassy and their 3 big Americans as shared by SeñorLA. It that also fake 😒 news?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

bZ4X: ฿1,836,000

218 horsepower (PS)

maximum torque 337

0-100kph 6.9 seconds

Battery 64kWh usable

BYD Seal AWD: ฿1,549,000

530 horsepower (PS)

maximum torque 670

0-100kph 3.8 seconds

Battery 82.5kWh usable

Seals better specs, and ~300k in change, to help pay for your solar system :coffee1:

If Toyota dealer get to choose if they want to stock them, then good choice not to.  Minimal research should tell you to shop elsewhere.   I find that typical with most Toyota products.  Their name isn't what it use to be.  

Their Corolla Cross starts at 1M.  A few BEV SUV out there at that price or less :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Toyota removing the bZ4X from their website would scream the vehicle is not selling well (or at all)....loss of face...reopen their EV wound...etc.  The bZ4X was basically a prototype EV that Toyota rushed to market and it flopped.

When it comes to Toyota they are way behind in EV technology....still an ICEV company at heart sprinkled with a little bit of hybrid.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

Toyota removing the bZ4X from their website would scream the vehicle is not selling well (or at all)....loss of face...reopen their EV wound...etc.  The bZ4X was basically a prototype EV that Toyota rushed to market and it flopped.

When it comes to Toyota they are way behind in EV technology....still an ICEV company at heart sprinkled with a little bit of hybrid.

You are absolutely right that Toyota is behind in EV technology and the EVangelist can point 👉 their finger at them all day long, but have Toyota done the right thing for them as a Japanese brand?

Their stock price and vehicle sales numbers are doing just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

They got the battery technology spot on, why? because they bought BYD's blade battery for the bZ4X.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Toyota is still listing the bZ4X on the Thailand website, but the click through to select a dealer button is missing. Do they want to sell this car or not?

IMG_1666.jpeg.695c033e98193057dd2bb84db3eeb832.jpeg

bZ4X: ฿1,836,000

218 horsepower (PS)

maximum torque 337

0-100kph 6.9 seconds

Battery 64kWh usable

BYD Seal AWD: ฿1,549,000

530 horsepower (PS)

maximum torque 670

0-100kph 3.8 seconds

Battery 82.5kWh usable

Turns out I’m not the only one having trouble trying to buy a Toyota EV:

Toyota are going to really struggle selling this car with such low power figures ( 218 ps for dual motor ! ) low range and a higher price than the competition.

Not to mention the ugly plastic wrapped around the wheels …… 

The Seal Premium at 1,399,000 beats it on power, range, price and looks.

It is more on par with the Seal Dynamic for power and range but that comes in at 1,225,000.

Unless Toyota plan is to drop the price by about half a million baht I don’t see them selling many.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

A Seal SUV in all but name, should fit in nicely here for those that prefer the Seal styling to the Atto but wanted a SUV.

Should compete with the Deepal SUV recently released.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

They got the battery technology spot on, why? because they bought BYD's blade battery for the bZ4X.

Did they?  According to Wikipedia (1st snapshot below) the bx4X uses lithium ion batteries from CATL or PPES (PPES is a joint venue between Panasonic and Toyota).

I know a very recent announcement about Toyota using BYD blade LFP batteries in a pending/next year release of Toyota's new bz3 sedan in China will come with BYD batteries....see snapshot/link at bottom.

Funny how Toyota and its followers (not implying you are a follower) have released articles/videos "for years and years" about Toyota's new, game-changing EV battery technology being released soon but Toyota EV's still use some other manufacturers' batteries such as CATL, Panasonic, BYD, etc., traction batteries.   If Toyota ever does release an EV traction battery they "developed and made" it will probably be a variation of a lead acid battery.😁

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_bZ4X

image.png.a726c189aa29e22bc5d6d0baf4019f56.png

https://www.topspeed.com/toyota-bz3-everything-confirmed/

image.png.ddf35f5ab3b25cb85d74ffdfea67e1fc.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A Seal SUV in all but name, should fit in nicely here for those that prefer the Seal styling to the Atto but wanted a SUV.

Should compete with the Deepal SUV recently released.

What I really like about the BYD Sea Lion is they are employing rear wheel drive - it's just a much better vehicle dynamically.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Whilst driving my daughter's MG4 I found it sliding sideways on a bend on the 118 once, the car wasn't taking the corner particularly fast and its 50/50 weight distribution stopped being any more dramatic, it only happened once and did shock me, and whilst accelerating it is not uncommon for the back wheels to spin then traction control cuts in and this is repeated 2 or 3 times up to 50 km/hr.

My daughter told me she experienced a slide on the 118 too and so I started doing some research on the MG forum in the UK and it seems to be the consensus is that it is dangerously under-tyred.

My friend just bought the MG4 X-Power and has 18" wheels instead of 17" and wider 235 tyres, so we had some aftermarket wheels and Michelin tyres fitted at B-Quik.  It seems to have fixed the problem.

It was my intention to just replace the tyres, but I made the mistake of taking her to the showroom with me and anyone with a daughter will tell you they have this knack of getting their daddy to buy them things.

Generally, I am very happy with the improvement, the center caps are loose, and we already lost one in 20 km driving so I am going to have to head back there today.

Temp.jpg

Sounds like MG has some quality issues.  No wonder their sales are dropping like a rock in a much bigger market.

GNRIHcTbwAAW8Cs.png

• Haha 1

MG are not very popular in Thailand, they completely messed up their entry into Thailand with massive quality issues and the Thais are unforgiving and have long memories.

Their EV's are very fine cars, but I do think they made a mistake with the tyres on the standard MG4.  The new long-range version is more powerful, I wonder if they have changed the tyres on that too.

I think the Thais are coming round to MG EV's, they get a respectable showing in the EV sales.  The MG ES is a ridiculous premium over the MG EP+ for horrible wheels, dubious body upgrade and more annoying intrusive driver safety tech.

24 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Whilst driving my daughter's MG4 I found it sliding sideways on a bend on the 118 once, the car wasn't taking the corner particularly fast and its 50/50 weight distribution stopped being any more dramatic, it only happened once and did shock me, and whilst accelerating it is not uncommon for the back wheels to spin then traction control cuts in and this is repeated 2 or 3 times up to 50 km/hr.

My daughter told me she experienced a slide on the 118 too and so I started doing some research on the MG forum in the UK and it seems to be the consensus is that it is dangerously under-tyred.

My friend just bought the MG4 X-Power and has 18" wheels instead of 17" and wider 235 tyres, so we had some aftermarket wheels and Michelin tyres fitted at B-Quik.  It seems to have fixed the problem.

It was my intention to just replace the tyres, but I made the mistake of taking her to the showroom with me and anyone with a daughter will tell you they have this knack of getting their daddy to buy them things.

Generally, I am very happy with the improvement, the center caps are loose, and we already lost one in 20 km driving so I am going to have to head back there today.

Seems like the long range version does have bigger tires. Also different battery chemistry which is important but the sales reps probably have no clue along with the average buyer...

MG 4 Standard Range / Long Range Thai assembled model Different from the original version as follows
  • MG 4 was originally imported, changed to Thai assembly.
  • Change the new sub-model to Standard Range / Long Range
  • Standard Range model changes battery from 51 to 49 kWh.
  • Standard Range model, maximum running distance from 425 to 423 km. (NEDC)
  • Long Range model, 64 kWh battery, maximum running distance 540 km. (NEDC)
  • Change front grille Adaptive Grille with automatic cooling system
  • Add a windshield wiper system to the rear windshield.
  • Add exterior body color: Fizzy Orange.
  • Change to 18-inch alloy wheels on Long Range models.
  • Change the center touch screen from 10.25 to 12.0 inches
  • Like 2

I see we have been graced with the presence of yet another Failure 

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Lots catching on fire. 

No evidence provided to support this statement making it worthless

Fail!

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Not very good for the environment. 

Again no evidence provided 

Fail again!

“This is a discussion about EVs available or coming to Thailand“

:offtopic: 
Fail!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I see we have been graced with the presence of yet another Failure 

No evidence provided to support this statement making it worthless

Fail!

Again no evidence provided 

Fail again!

“This is a discussion about EVs available or coming to Thailand“

:offtopic: 
Fail!

Are you blind?

I've attached a video as evidence Sherlock. 🔍

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 7:55 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Toyota is still listing the bZ4X on the Thailand website, but the click through to select a dealer button is missing. Do they want to sell this car or not?

Toyota will stop using its 'old' hybrid tech and switch to new BYD systems.

This good news as Toyota was using nickel metal-hydride (NiMH) batteries for it's hybrids

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Lots catching on fire. 

Not very good for the environment. 

Not good for the environment only , also not good for the ICE Car Driver

• Thanks 2