Thailand looks at easing visa rules in bid to boost tourism

webfact

7 hours ago, garyk said:

It is really too late, nothing that they can do now. World economy is in a shambles.

And will be getting worse by the day.

45 days is a joke IMO, for me anyway.  90 days minimum, then I will think about it. And be able to extend another 90 days!

The western economies have reach the next level towards collapsing so way less people will be traveling. For those who are lucky enough to be able to afford to travel, they won't choose choose any tourist destination that has a laundry list of requirements (like Thailand Pass and Insurance) just to visit the country.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The idea is that the longer tourists can stay in Thailand, the more they will spend.

What brilliant mind, came up with that conclusion? See, there is still hope!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Robin said:

if the old model of Bars, Massage, and Girls is not acceptable as the image of Thailand, then What?

A very good question. What does Thailand have to offer that neighbouring countries, and countless other countries around the world, do not?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I surfaced travelled from Darwin to London a million years ago.  All of the visas back then were minimum of 90 days I think.  It was certainly enough time to travel on broken down third world buses.

In the early days of my travelling to Thailand we only got 14 days (I think I recall). 

Military governments do seem to keep things tight... although I recall many countries in South America were very liberal with entry and long stay. 

Meanwhile a more developed nearby country like Malaysia offers 90 days visa exempt. If Thailand followed suit and got rid of the need to apply for a tourist visa as well as an  in-country extension for longer stays, THAT would be a major easing.

Me thinks this is a good idea. Doesn't impact me and my lifestyle on the island though.

I think there's lots of things to put-to-rest like the Pass, and the atypical over-control stuff around reporting every 30 days if on retirement and other long term visas's, restrictions of number of entries and exits from the Kingdom when on such visa's (unless you're on an Elite or some such quasi-unrestricted equivalent) reporting by self/and hotel managers of your travels when clearly on viable legal visa's etc.

9 hours ago, Robin said:

I do not believe that many genuine (high spending?) tourists come for more than 28/30 days, as they probably have job to go to back in home country, but all such (mythical) creatures are put off by nonsense like the Thai Pass.

Wife and I are coming back for the first time since the Pandemic next week.  We had 6 weeks to work with, but we cut it back to 4 to avoid the immigration hassles.  I can do enough work remotely that taking a longer "soft" vacation is easy enough.

As for the 90 day visa exemption... it's fine as long as it doesn't become as difficult as it can be in Europe to spend 91 days in six months.

There has always been evidence available (https://www.academia.edu/34630690/DEMOGRAPHIC_PROFILES_AND_BEHAVIORS_OF_BACKPACKERS_CASE_STUDY_OF_KHAO_SAN_ROAD_THAILAND as an example, there’s lots more), which the government chooses to ignore, that backpackers give money to the grassroots for food and services.  The rich pay five star hotels for food and services. The backpackers stay longer and spread their money over a broader range of people. The rich have to get back to their business and thus need a week or two here as a break. Generally, if you have a job, you have to get home soon while backpackers often are more flexible and often left employment to travel.

They should be encouraged not the opposite.

Edited by Purdey
Grammar, clarity
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

In the early days of my travelling to Thailand we only got 14 days (I think I recall). 

Military governments do seem to keep things tight... although I recall many countries in South America were very liberal with entry and long stay. 

I heard in the 1970s Americans could only visit Thailand for two weeks, Can't find it online. 45 days wont change anything most genuine tourists do not need it wit will just be abused by the minority that cause most problems 

Edited by Captain Monday

13 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

Wife and I are coming back for the first time since the Pandemic next week.  We had 6 weeks to work with, but we cut it back to 4 to avoid the immigration hassles.  

What immigration hassles? A standard tourist visa would give you all of your six week plus 2.5 to spare.

19 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Get rid of the Thailand pas first, then leave the nightclubs and bars open until 4 am, last but not least make the price for wine again affordable.

Maybe after that you can think about visa extension.

would agree with the Wine !!  Here 5ltrs 1300baht , in Portugal 250 baht !!!  whose making the profit ?? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

would agree with the Wine !!  Here 5ltrs 1300baht , in Portugal 250 baht !!!  whose making the profit ?? 

Obviously tax. Tough for people on holiday who want a few bottles. Maybe it's a good thing 5 litres isn't 250 baht, i would be permanently <deleted>.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“The idea is that the longer tourists can stay in Thailand, the more they will spend”.

Some sound thinking at last.

I can’t understand why so many people seem to hate “visa runners” and backpackers. They’re not doing any harm and not costing Thailand anything.

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

The other flipside is that it will attract those backpackers/visa runners with hardly any money to stay longer in Thailand.

Yeah but that's who shows up when Thailand makes it easier to enter and stay. Tells you a lot about the true state of the country.

Despite what some people want, even if you gave free visas for life you still wouldn't get wealthy foreigners moving to Thailand and spending big money. Wealthy people want quality which is the thing Thailand is lacking and no amount of government intervention is going to change that.

• Like 1