Welcome to life in Thailand after the pandemic

webfact

image.jpeg

(photo by Norbert Braun)

After spending more than 29 months tackling COVID-19, Thailand is now busy preparing to launch its post-pandemic era.

Here, Thai PBS World offers an overview of the latest developments in the country’s transition from pandemic to normality.

Face masks

On June 23, the mandatory wearing of face masks in public was scrapped. This means we no longer have to wear masks outdoors in uncrowded places like public parks – though most Thais are still wearing masks outdoors on a voluntary basis.

And health authorities recommend that people continue wearing masks indoors around people who are not from the same household. Removing masks indoors is only advisable if they are dining, exercising, performing or receiving beauty treatments, etc.

Authorities have also given public services and venues like shopping malls the freedom to issue their own rules. For instance, the BTS Skytrain operator requires commuters to wear masks at all times.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/welcome-to-life-in-thailand-after-the-pandemic/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

For the odd cases, as happened to me only yesterday, you do get pulled over. Yes the policeman was masked.....  The helmet makes getting one on difficult. 

The mind boggles , funny 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

we no longer have to wear masks outdoors in uncrowded places like public parks – though most Thais are still wearing masks outdoors on a voluntary basis.

And health authorities recommend that people continue wearing masks indoors around people who are not from the same household. Removing masks indoors is only advisable if they are dining, exercising, performing or receiving beauty treatments, etc.

Authorities have also given public services and venues like shopping malls the freedom to issue their own rules. For instance, the BTS Skytrain operator requires commuters to wear masks at all times.

So, nothing has changed then. You don't have to wear a mask outdoors, a demand that was never, ever enforced anywhere by anyone. Otherwise, it's as usual, with any business free to demand you wear a mask or no entry.

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I like this comment as an eye opener. The Thais display a great sense of responsibility, contrasting with ...

Yep the attitudes and psyche of eastern cultures and the sociological reality of very dense living, along other factors produces attitudes starkly different than some, many western nations.

The experience of Swine Flu some years back and the fact of having direct land access with huge populations like India and China also encourage certain attitudes.

I've notice NO change locally, and comments on forum seem to confirm same at Krung Thep.

People that did, still wearing masks, people that didn't aren't, and only noticing a few more locally NOT wearing.   People that wore masks incorrectly, are still doing, or are the few more now not wearing.

Still required to wear if going into any chain vendor; 7-11, Makro, Global, Lotus (mall) or HomePro, as being the only places we frequent that require.

I've never worn a mask any other time during the past 2 ish years.  No real need since practice social distancing, or vendors don't care, when walking from door to table to eat.  Simply taking off at table anyway, so after 1st week of that silliness, stopped wearing completely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

For the odd cases, as happened to me only yesterday, you do get pulled over. Yes the policeman was masked.....  The helmet makes getting one on difficult. 

So long as I have lived in Thailand, and for many years before, Standard uniform for traffic cops included  mask and raybans, making them menacing and anonymous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, superal said:

There is absolutely no doubt that the reason many Thai folks wear mask is because they feel they have some protection from the virus . Fact , some of them wear 2 masks at the same time . What is the sense in wearing a mask on a motor bike , especially when not having a crash helmet . 

I do, it helps shield my big nose from sunshine.

In the smoke season in CM, I wear double.

ah, and I do wear a helmet.

"After the Pandemic" lol

Back here in the UK its close to being out of control again as any GP will tell you. Johnson's sanitisation of the Tory rags is dumbing down the media exposing it further

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Then don't!

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

You did.!

Did I? I have no recollection of making a single comment on:

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

the sheer monumental madness this kind of observation conjures up.

Feel free to quote me.

• Haha 1

I suffer from asthma but wearing a mask has never bothered me. For the time being I'll continue to wear one outside the home. Not to do so will offend a lot of Thais and it is, after all, their country. 

• Haha 2

On 6/29/2022 at 1:40 PM, webfact said:

After spending more than 29 months tackling COVID-19, Thailand is now busy preparing to launch its post-pandemic era

Which will be an exact copy of pre-covid.

Nothing has altered.

7 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

If it is true that masks keep you from spreading covid but not from catching covid, then the logic seems to be if you have covid wear a mask when out and about so you don't spread it. 

Wearing a mask can help protect you from getting COVID-19, even if others aren’t wearing them

https://www.king5.com/article/news/verify/coronavirus-verify/masks-protect-wearer-covid-if-no-one-else-wears-one/536-ad323e29-a362-4952-9d2c-b072c40498be

https://www.nytimes.com/article/covid-masks-protection-stats.html

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ianwheldale said:

If you can put  FF helmet over a surgical mask without it pulling the mask off then your helmet is a lousy fit and next to useless.

... or a Shoei 'Neotec' that has a flip front. No problem at all.  ????

If you don't want to wear a mask, any excuse will do, right?

Edited by FolkGuitar