Why are there so many haters on this site?

They are a bunch of bitter expats who want to blame all their problems on Thailand.  These people would be unhappy no matter where they go.  Of course that doesn't stop them from constantly threatening to go somewhere else, as if anyone will miss them if they do.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

I recently befriended a fellow contract engineer here at work.  he does software, I do system test on the project.  He lived in Thailand for 9 years.  He blew through all his money.  he made a few bucks on line, bought and sold two condos to string things along.  But now at age 56 he has nothing.  I mean absolutely nothing.  He is not bitter though.  A bit mad at himself for sure.  he gave it a go and missed the mark.  He is lucky he did not burn out totally and become too much of an alcoholic and can still function and make money back home in the USA.  He does not make too much, but certainly can save now. Just a caution to try and strike a balance with things.  

10 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

But now at age 56 he has nothing.  I mean absolutely nothing. 

doesn't have a job?  his health?  intelligence? experience? has zero baht to his name?

I think people just like to say others have absolutely nothing.    Doesn't sound like a friend.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Iamfalang said:

doesn't have a job?  his health?  intelligence? experience? has zero baht to his name?

I think people just like to say others have absolutely nothing.    Doesn't sound like a friend.

so this is an example of a hater.

1 hour ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Do you have any idea what all those wagons and carts of full of with people dragging them into Thailand from Cambodia?

They're sorted donated clothes/shoes that are donated to charity. Collection bins, in the UK, are to be found at the rear of ones local supermarket. They are cleaned, sized and processed and sold on.

What happens to clothes in donation bins UK?

Some go to high street charity shops, but estimates indicate only 10-30% are sold in the UK. Most donated clothes are exported overseas.

This all boils down to everyone's mental state.

I love my single free life, but my friends think im a lonely pervert.. I notice people not happy in their lives just judge others.

Sound like anyone here?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JensenZ said:

My landlord is German and he got amazing bargains for some condos at the start of Covid. IMO he scored the best real estate deals in Pattaya - a case of being in the right place at the right time. His builder is German. He does a great job. I don't know how much he pays, but it's very good work and a good investment provided you get the condos at a good price. He lives in one and any rental return is secondary to the capital gains.

I do not see any capital gains here in Thailand in the near future . However i have no intention to sell either , therefore rental income is what is important to me . If you pay too much for making the apartment rentable you are not making money . When i make an apartment for rent i do the work my self . I then make double on if I had professionals to do the work . Main obstacle with that is it takes much longer longer to complete .

My girl friend was wanting to buy a small shop she rents for 5500 baht a month . Sale price is 2,500,000 baht which comes out at 2.6 percent . When you buy property there are costs on top for maintenance costs . There fore you have a very poor return on your money 

The building is rundown and would soak at least a further 800,000 to bring it up to scratch with so called professionals doing the work . My advice to her was the place is not worth half the asking price , forget buying

To one of AseanNow's most fervent and frequent complainers that PM Prayut should Get Out! Now!, I once sent the website and contact of the PM's chief of staff so he could complain directly instead of on these inconsequential pages.

He wasn't interested and said that I do not understand the true nature of complaining.

BTW https://spm.thaigov.go.th/web/CRTPRS/spm-sp-layout6-person.asp?m=s

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Where exactly do you think all the clothes for the US market are made?

Do you know Izod, GAP, H&M to name a few brands are made in Cambodia? What do you think happens to the clothes that did not make the contract delivery date on time? Order canceled, products flow out into the local market.

You don't appear to know a damn thing about this, never been there to see with your own eyes, yet there is no way you believe?

Do you have any idea what all those wagons and carts of full of with people dragging them into Thailand from Cambodia?

No way you believe!

My god man. Drive on over there and educate yourself.

Gigantic market with all kinds of famous name brands.

cambo2.jpg

I started and did run a sports outlet of higher end brands that still exist today, and also did meet with producers all over the world at Ispo Munich for a few years.

You can believe what you want, but that price would not even cover a quality colour on a polo shirt!

Fake brands is another word for it.

If we are talking about production errors, size, design, colour, or sewing, it might end up on markeds like that, but still cheep even for production errors that was not intended for any markeds with a label. I'm not picking a fight with you, but if sold as cheap as you are saying it is stolen goods, or fake. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:54 PM, lextsy said:

My frustration was immense for only 5 months. Imagine being an expat after 20 years, living in a village and dealing with locals on the reg you will probably see they all started off with Rose Colored glasses and slowly the place has made them angry.

Ah, grasshopper...

I'm a bit late to this absolute humdinger of a thread but on the above comment, any expat living in Bahn Nawk over 20 years would never have gone to HomePro for ANYTHING let alone a home refurb. That's akin to asking the checkout girl at Sainsbury's back home for a good recipe for the stuff you just bought.

I will agree that decent tradesmen can be hard to find here but that's because these local artisans are busy doing quality work themselves without sub-contracting to an overpriced home improvement chain. Caveat emptor still applies here.

Best regards,

Never angry in Isaan

51 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I started and did run a sports outlet of higher end brands that still exist today, and also did meet with producers all over the world at Ispo Munich for a few years.

You can believe what you want, but that price would not even cover a quality colour on a polo shirt!

Fake brands is another word for it.

If we are talking about production errors, size, design, colour, or sewing, it might end up on markeds like that, but still cheep even for production errors that was not intended for any markeds with a label. I'm not picking a fight with you, but if sold as cheap as you are saying it is stolen goods, or fake. 

Have you ever been to garment factories in Cambodia?

Do you know how to use Google?

Look it up. All the name brands are there.

What exactly do you expect the factory in Cambodia to do with all the clothes made under a specific contract that did not get delivered to meet the contract deadline?

If you did run a sport outlet you would know exactly what happens, yet you have no clue???????

To educate you, they are dumped into the local market, where anyone can buy in bulk pounds. Just like the photo shows.

Your braggadoccio is all it is.

You have proven you know nothing about how this works at all.

You know nothing about how much it costs to make anything in Cambodia. Any clue how much the average garment worker in Cambodia is paid per hour?

Take a drive over and educate yourself. It would be more educational than your false stories here.

Maybe while you are there, visit the Friendship Bridge and stop and ask any of the 100's of people a day pulling loading wagons across the border. Ask they what they bought and how much they paid for it?

I have been there and bought quality items for my family to resell, all you have is fake stories and no idea how the industry even works over here.

Sometimes it is better to say nothing, than to say something everyone will know is not true.

8 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

They're sorted donated clothes/shoes that are donated to charity. Collection bins, in the UK, are to be found at the rear of ones local supermarket. They are cleaned, sized and processed and sold on.

You are another one that has no clue what they are talking about.

Have you ever visited the garment district in Cambodia? Of course not.

Go with that other <removed> to the Friendship Bridge, stop a few of the 100's folks pulling wagons across the boarder and ask them what they bought?

There is a gigantic market right there in town, where all this stuff, if you follow the wagons, will get unloaded and sold in the 100's of shops.

I bought of bunch of nice men's IZOD polo's for myself that still had the US tags on them.

If you honestly think in such a POOR, poverty stricken place as Cambodia, that they donate clothes and shoes to charity when they have nothing to even feed themselves?

You have lost your mind.

Take a trip over there and see the 100's of kids begging for even 1 baht because they are living in the street.

In case you don't know what street kids look like, here is a photo to educate yourself.

Notice the "nice teeth" that charity paid to fix?

This kid is smiling because I bought him a meal, snacks, a drink and put some money in his pocket.

Open your eyes man and learn how the world really works.

kid1.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

I still call it Thai visa.

Would you like me to send you a key to wind me up?

I call it TV too since the change the forum has got too compliant. 

I do like a wind up though but like it being called trolling. ????

As for the new pub forum what's the good of that without  beer. ????

14 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Speaking of ignorant, no one said complaining gets you anywhere. More made up BS.

Are you saying you never complain about anything?

To stop messing about on this thread I admit I do complain under my breath. ????

Most of the westerners living here are people who have never achieved success in their own country. Most of them come here because they know that they will live a disgraceful life in their own country with their pensions. Those who feel LOSER in their country are trying to be WINNER in Thailand.  Western democracy is just theatre. By using the media in their hands, they are giving the image of being democratic. Let the West first abandon the colony and then teach a lesson in democracy. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Speaking of ignorant, no one said complaining gets you anywhere. More made up BS.

Are you saying you never complain about anything?

You should complain about double posts. ????

I have never felt free in Thailand as compared to my own country, sorry. My own country doesn't need to know where I am every 90 days.

Thailand just seems more fun? Take away the bar girls and easy sex and it is just like any other place.

What is the more fun you are talking about?

I like the weather, the food, the life in the streets, the lifestyle, and the women. Sorry I am not a monger but you can meet women in other ways. 

1 hour ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Take a drive over and educate yourself. It would be more educational than your false stories here.

It's you that needs educating. Unfortunately due to copywrite I'm unable to show the source of my knowledge. Try Googling ' where do the clothes come from sold in Cambodian markets'. That may help.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Ah, grasshopper...

I'm a bit late to this absolute humdinger of a thread but on the above comment, any expat living in Bahn Nawk over 20 years would never have gone to HomePro for ANYTHING let alone a home refurb. That's akin to asking the checkout girl at Sainsbury's back home for a good recipe for the stuff you just bought.

I will agree that decent tradesmen can be hard to find here but that's because these local artisans are busy doing quality work themselves without sub-contracting to an overpriced home improvement chain. Caveat emptor still applies here.

Best regards,

Never angry in Isaan

Lol yes but I’d still choose them because everything was fixed and you name someone else in Thailand who would replace a broken tv table and fridge to the same value of the entire renovation?  Advantages and disadvantages. Reminding everyone this isn’t my thread I was merely explaining why there is so many haters hence extrapolating my tiny experience into a lifetime of living in Thailand. 

21 minutes ago, lextsy said:

Lol yes but I’d still choose them because everything was fixed and you name someone else in Thailand who would replace a broken tv table and fridge to the same value of the entire renovation?  Advantages and disadvantages. Reminding everyone this isn’t my thread I was merely explaining why there is so many haters hence extrapolating my tiny experience into a lifetime of living in Thailand. 

Thailand is just the same as anywhere else the difference of what your use to simply takes you back to the "live 

and learn".

4 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

I agree. If somebody at 56 has his health, he already has at least 90% of what any man ever needs. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 3:54 AM, lextsy said:

Western society is boring but you really get used to processes being put in place and those processes being followed. Once you move to Thailand you realise what a cluster f&@k things are.

i recently finished a renovation on my condo, a 2 week job blew out to 3 months, it was escalated to the biggest boss at home pro sukhumviht in Pattaya (who was doing the Reno) who had to personally come to my place on multiple occasions to check the work (all this for a 40k baht job).

A few things which occurred. 
1) Home pro hired anyone as subcontractor and denied liability when the contractors wife who he was “training” cleaned my fridge and table with a scourer. In the end contractor had to pay me out 10k baht for new fridge doors and the table was sent off 3 times to get repaired (before I threw it out the third time)

2) TVs were wrapped in plastic and put face down on the bed. Painting plastic was then put down on the bed and the new painting team stood on 2 out of 3 tvs. Broken. Store Manager gave me 10k off a new TV and staff of course took the broken tv home to fix

3) They robbed me of 500b of classic Thai notes I was collecting 

4) They painted one roof with super gloss wall paint and one wall with matte roof paint 

5) My Thai building manager then said to me once it was all over “Why are you cleaning and painting yourself?” After 3 months of incompetence.

6) 2 brand new Samsung q65 tvs had severe shadowing in the dark and had to return both. Once at the shop I asked if this has happened before and they said no only farang complain ??? Lol

Basically everything had to be done 2 and 3 times, they have not grasped the do it once and do it properly antic because their time is worth so little. 

This is just a snippet of a 5 month working holiday where I decided to renovate a condo. 

Extrapolate this into everyday society, and dealing with “non educated” thais (cannot put everyone in a bucket) or should I say “Not used to western standards” thais. On every single level you come face to face with total incompetence and id say a well raised 11 year old Aussie kid has more common sense than most thais.

(Not talking about BKK or the thais I worked with in an office environment) 

Basically if you are going on a holiday and you don’t need more interaction than ordering a taxi you will run into this continual incompetence. 

Actually the only time things were done to my standards was interacting with my Visa agent who had everything down pat from visa extensions, to getting Thai license and opening a bank account.

My frustration was immense for only 5 months. Imagine being an expat after 20 years, living in a village and dealing with locals on the reg you will probably see they all started off with Rose Colored glasses and slowly the place has made them angry.

saying that…… only 35 days till I’m flying out ???? 

You weren't there to supervise.  Big Mistake

14 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

You weren't there to supervise.  Big Mistake

I was there, thats why it was done properly.... eventually.

The delays were due to multiple attempts until they got it right.

In Home Pros defense, they have unlimited time + resources to continue a job even at a loss. I would use them again because its the only way you will get accountability. (In my mind i had already planned in store protests however i was pleasantly suprised when Numero uno of the shop personally called me and apologised, chewed the ass out of the Head of renovation section and fired the people who caused all the damage.

i defs felt all warm and fuzzy inside ( But that could have been from the unwanted incident with the LB in a dark alley the night before)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Have you ever been to garment factories in Cambodia?

Do you know how to use Google?

Look it up. All the name brands are there.

What exactly do you expect the factory in Cambodia to do with all the clothes made under a specific contract that did not get delivered to meet the contract deadline?

If you did run a sport outlet you would know exactly what happens, yet you have no clue???????

To educate you, they are dumped into the local market, where anyone can buy in bulk pounds. Just like the photo shows.

Your braggadoccio is all it is.

You have proven you know nothing about how this works at all.

You know nothing about how much it costs to make anything in Cambodia. Any clue how much the average garment worker in Cambodia is paid per hour?

Maybe while you are there, visit the Friendship Bridge and stop and ask any of the 100's of people a day pulling loading wagons across the border. Ask they what they bought and how much they paid for it?

I have been there and bought quality items for my family to resell, all you have is fake stories and no idea how the industry even works over here.

Sometimes it is better to say nothing, than to say something everyone will know is not true.

Nice try to continue to try to pick a fight when you obvious do not know what to look for when it comes to quality products. Fake or stolen!

Have a good day sir

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It's you that needs educating. Unfortunately due to copywrite I'm unable to show the source of my knowledge. Try Googling ' where do the clothes come from sold in Cambodian markets'. That may help.

Been there and seen with my own eyes.

You should get out of the house more and see what is going on in the country you call home.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I like the weather, the food, the life in the streets, the lifestyle, and the women. Sorry I am not a monger but you can meet women in other ways. 

In my younger years I liked the excitement, and then I grew out of it when I realized I might live another 20 years more than I planned and had to settle down and get serious.

The weather? No thanks. Monsoon rains to severe drought is not my idea of good weather. 

When you get up there in age, and listen to the doctors tell you all the things you should not be eating, and look at Thai food, it eliminates a lot of it.

3 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

In my younger years I liked the excitement, and then I grew out of it when I realized I might live another 20 years more than I planned and had to settle down and get serious.

The weather? No thanks. Monsoon rains to severe drought is not my idea of good weather. 

When you get up there in age, and listen to the doctors tell you all the things you should not be eating, and look at Thai food, it eliminates a lot of it.

The contrast is nice to my fairly normal four seasons Melbourne weather. Sometimes I like the wet season with storms on and off. I burn easily. Can swim at the beach without burning. 

Agreed that the food  can be disappointing. So much salt. MSG. God knows what else. Fish and prawns from possibly dodgy farms. Vegetables with maybe some insecticide. Have to be choosy. 

• Like 1