Mountain B manageress says three exits not locked - Owner has not fled - he provided blankets, wreathes and initial compensation

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

The manageress of the Mountain B pub in Sattahip where a fire killed 14 and injured 38 on Thursday night met with reporters at the venue yesterday evening, reported Thai Rath.

Suwadee Phuttaseutrong said that the owner would be providing compensation and had not fled.

He'd been at the scene providing blankets to the injured before they were taken away by ambulance. 

At 2 am on Friday morning the owner had assisted police and had certainly not fled the scene.

She said the facility had three zones - a restaurant, a pork barbecue and a bar and bistro.

There were three exits, all were open and none were locked up.

She said that the owner was providing wreathes for the relatives of the dead and initial compensation payments. 

The owner's name was not revealed. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

There were three exits, all were open and none were locked up.

I have not seen any reports of people fleeing other than through the one entrance.....  has anyone else?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

People will never look at themselves as a nation and why they allow police and government officials to let others break the laws. 

And therein lies the problem. An endemic culture of corruption, lack of unaccountability and social responsibility.

Isn't that the very reason we all moved here?

• Like 2

Slightly adrift, but the same topic...fire safety and limited exits.

I have had occasion to write to Lotus's regarding one of their branches, where the main entrance/exit has reduced space due to 2 stalls being set up inside the entrance/exit area.  Just last week, during a heavy rainstorm, the entrance/exit was completely blocked by shoppers with their trolleys reluctant to leave and get wet, causing problems and no thought or consideration for those behind, who just wanted out!  It could so easily have been a fire or a bomb or something similar. No response to date!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RandolphGB said:
4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Isn't that the very reason we all moved here?

Also the reason why many are leaving. 

Really?  Got some stats on the "many who are leaving" or are you just referring to a couple of idle threats from members here? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, actonion said:

No such thing as safety exists in Thailand

Slighty off topic but to do with safety...  my Wife worked  in the Admin dept of one of the  Theatres in Pattaya....... in pre covid times when  there were many tourists, and all the seats were sold out, they  filled all of central  aisles   with more seats. leaving only the  two  outter aisles  to get in and out, its all about money and nothing else ...

You might want to edit your second sentence...............just saying!

Edited by metisdead
Spelling error corrected.
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, actonion said:

No such thing as safety exists in Thailand

Slighty off topic but to do with safety...  my Wife worked  in the Admin dept of one of the  Theatres in Pattaya....... in pre covid times when  there were many tourists, and all the seats were sold out, they  filled all of central  aisles   with more seats. leaving only the  two  outter aisles  to get in and out, its all about money and nothing else ...

Did she report it to the authorities, with photo or video? And if she did report it did she follow up with a higher authority if nothing was done? Or did she just do nothing?

She shouldn't be talking to the press at all, seeing as criminal charges are being brought. And as for the owner offering compensation, it would be the insurers who would more likely have to cough up, assuming the venue had public liability insurance. What's he offering? 20k THB? 

6 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Slightly adrift, but the same topic...fire safety and limited exits.

I have had occasion to write to Lotus's regarding one of their branches, where the main entrance/exit has reduced space due to 2 stalls being set up inside the entrance/exit area.  Just last week, during a heavy rainstorm, the entrance/exit was completely blocked by shoppers with their trolleys reluctant to leave and get wet, causing problems and no thought or consideration for those behind, who just wanted out!  It could so easily have been a fire or a bomb or something similar. No response to date!

Ah. But Lotus's is Thai owned now. New standards apply.????

Slightly off topic but I believe relevant to escaping disaster in entertainment areas

Last time I was in Pattaya  I went to the Non Nooch Gardens, pretty boring walk around static dinasaur displays, then I saw the show in the theatre and was afterwards directed to the stadium for the Elephant Football

I noticed that he emergency exits in the elephant football stadium were locked and chained and the only way out in an emergency for hundreds of people seemed to be the entrance tunnel under the stands. I didn't feel safe at all so I left.

I didn't notice if the emergency exits at the show were also locked

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have not seen any reports of people fleeing other than through the one entrance.....  has anyone else?

Police seem to be adamant that the exits were definitely locked..

maybe this was reported by fire crews trying to enter the building?

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Did she report it to the authorities, with photo or video? And if she did report it did she follow up with a higher authority if nothing was done? Or did she just do nothing?

2017, long time ago,........cant remember 

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Sorry long time ago.. 2017   and we're long  time   divorced