Why is it so hard to find any clothes that actually fit in Thailand?

bob smith

2 hours ago, mahtin said:

Do some creative searching on lazada, e.g. big bum. multiple XL etc. Look for conversion charts, comments from foreigners.

Followed your advice, anymore bright ideas? Not sure the wife will let me wear these.

Capture.JPG

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Really fat and obese people may find it difficult to find something that fits here.

You would really have to be very tall, or very 'un-proportional' to not find clothes that fit here.

I'm average, 175cm / 80ish kgs, and have no problem.  Have been 100 kgs, still no problem.  Only issue I have, if off the rack, w/18" neck and 48" jacket size, is their expectation of my waste to 50" plus ????

I like loose fitting clothes, but that's a bit much.  Briefs are hard to find, and I don't bother.  Stocked or have sent over from USA.

Shoes/trainers are a challenge if large/long/wide feet, or wanting some arch support.  

Unless you know the brand, buy large, and expect shrinkage from the non pre-washed material used.

Wife makes everything now, but no real issues in the past.  Then of course, there are tailors pretty much everywhere, unless into the village life and never go to the metros.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Some tailors are convinced they know best. I like a bit loose fitting. Not tight. Cotton. Told them. Gave them a shirt as a sample. They gave me tight. Seriously tight under the arms and around the chest and in the shoulders. They seemed to do it in Indian or Nepalese style or fashion or whatever.

I had to tell them. Not tight. Loose fitting. Came back. Slightly better.

NOT TIGHT. LIKE THE ONE I GAVE YOU. GOING HOME TOMORROW. One time I gave up and once they got it right.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

We have a local tailor who works out of his front room, Madam gets material and he makes work shirts and slacks. Since my wife controls the colours I have a full set of the "correct" colour for each workday ???? 

My lady also gets shorts from a market stall somewhere brand "Super Jumbo" they're actually too big for me, socks and tightie-whities are stretchy so no real issue.

My main problem is shoes, as a UK size 12 dress shoes are unobtainium, at least at prices I'm prepared to pay. I order site boots from the UK (company pays).

You and your wife have the best idea. The price of tailor made clothes is not that high and (you) then have the choice of colours and materials that you choose yourself, (with some assistance from SWMBO).

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

We have a local tailor who works out of his front room, Madam gets material and he makes work shirts and slacks. Since my wife controls the colours I have a full set of the "correct" colour for each workday ???? 

My lady also gets shorts from a market stall somewhere brand "Super Jumbo" they're actually too big for me, socks and tightie-whities are stretchy so no real issue.

My main problem is shoes, as a UK size 12 dress shoes are unobtainium, at least at prices I'm prepared to pay. I order site boots from the UK (company pays).

If you have big feet you usually can get deals at designer stores since most don't buy those sizes

21 minutes ago, stoner said:
3 hours ago, bob smith said:

whats the deal?

are you overweight bob or just a bigger fellow ? 

Come on... Bob’s an adonis in every sense of the word... 

... after all, he once went to a go-go bar and there was this girl with an old guy who’d fallen asleep, the girl went home with Bob....    Bob's got game, Bos’s a player and and you can’t be a player like Bob if you’re overweight !!!....  Swimmer bod I reckon...  6ft 3...  and shoulders like a Captain America !...

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

That is a very small linebacker, undrafted I would guess. 

Yes, unfortunately, my football career ended in College.  I was still Throwing Shot Put and the Hammer......That also ended after the Olympic trials in Eugene Oregon in 1986 and I needed to get to work making money.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, unfortunately, my football career ended in College.  I was still Throwing Shot Put and the Hammer......That also ended after the Olympic trials in Eugene Oregon in 1986 and I needed to get to work making money.

Respect.  I have more in common nowadays with Vince Wilfork on a bad day, try finding T shirts my size! 

• Like 1

even the triple XL size out here is tight as hell on me. whats the deal? where are all the clothes that actually fit us foreigners?? 

Anyone remember "Oor Wullie" cartoon in the Sunday Post? Wullie, Soapy Souter & Fat Bob. Jings crivvens halp ma bob. It was braw.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

even the triple XL size out here is tight as hell on me.

Sizes may not be the same as you know them. Triple XL may be so in Thai standards. Also, look at you and look at them. Yes, Thais are becoming bigger and bigger too, but sold sizes don't seem to catch up quickly enough.

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Go to a clothes stall anywhere in Thailand and look for second hand clothes. You will find no end of farang clothes cuz that's where they originate from. I would never consider looking anywhere else. 

I would never consider second hand clothes, even if they were free

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterfranks said:

I would never consider second hand clothes, even if they were free

Like buying a second hand toothbrush....no way would I rest my boys in the crotch of pants where others cajones have been, since I go sans underwear....

Its not just girth the men will be slimmer so the clothes are cut different.

Yeah, t-shirts despite Thais getting fatter by the year are tight.

Try Uniqlo. Had ok luck with pants.

Size 45-46 work shoes anyone?? Clarks???

7 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

No, my dignity, which you seem to have lost

Ive l bought some great second hand clothes. Setved me well. Mainly jackets bought here to use in USA one-off trips.

Its a veritable industry for women.

Your loss

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

did you also score 5 touchdowns in a single game back at polk high ? 

• Haha 2

Wife's size years back in USA = 0

Mom says no more zero. Smallest is 4. Even kids sizes don't work bc shed need clothes for 8yo but  obviously a style and fashion issue. 12-13yo maybe.

Fatties

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You seem not to know of the clothing market in Aranyaprathet and what happens there..

Much of that presumably is either US second hand stuff off loaded by thrift stores and or Cambodian clothing manufacturers selling overs and whatnot.

??