South African woman gets life sentence reduced in Thailand

webfact

7 hours ago, BB1955 said:

I ve read her story and her claims . I find it very hard to believe she knew nothing about what she was signing for . Your boyfriends a major drug supplier and you know nothing about it ?   

Even major drug suppliers receive ordinary parcels as well!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Hard to say really..... would you not accept a package for a neighbour if they appeared to be out..... I would, presuming there was nothing to pay that is. 

No l would not sign for a  neighbour in Asia especially ! my Glf sister had a deliver to.my home " Unbeknown to me no idea what it was !  asked would l sign for it Answer > Sorry she's not here bring it back another time or ring her first before delivery .  Done, not mine not my responsibility 

Edited by Mad mick

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

How much do you know about this story? Find it odd that folk here are quick to admonish while overlooking the obvious corruption that goes on behind the scenes. 

What corruption the drug dealer boyfriend has all but admitted to sending drugs?? She signed for it? I'm not saying she did or didn't know but she signed to receive a package from her boyfriend that was illegal drugs. 

52 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Very easy to OD on that stuff.

Prince and Tom petty, did just that.

If it had been legal, like all drugs should be. maybe, many people would still be alive today. ( Control on dosage). :jap:

I wasn't suggesting it was fentanyl. Quite the opposite.  Big pharma is currently paying out billions of $ in compensation to all the American addicts who got prescribed it and thereafter couldn't get enough. Now that's a dangerous drug! Available on prescription in the US and on every street corner. What's with the Thai judges and police? Hit her so hard she'll never get up again? Lock her up forever and forget about her? How can they just wash their hands of this? It's plain sadistic what they've done. If you read the link posted to the website set up for her defense it should tell you everything about this case. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Hard to say really..... would you not accept a package for a neighbour if they appeared to be out..... I would, presuming there was nothing to pay that is. 

Correct - it happens all the time in my home country, and even if the package did contain drugs, you wouldn't be held accountable. However this is Thailand, and different laws apply, even if they do appear draconian. If the package had her name on it and it was being sent to her on her boyriend's behalf - different story altogether.

The answer seems to be don't sign for anything that you're not expecting, even if it has your name on it.

8 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I wasn't suggesting it was fentanyl. Quite the opposite.  Big pharma is currently paying out billions of $ in compensation to all the American addicts who got prescribed it and thereafter couldn't get enough. Now that's a dangerous drug! Available on prescription in the US and on every street corner. What's with the Thai judges and police? Hit her so hard she'll never get up again? Lock her up forever and forget about her? How can they just wash their hands of this? It's plain sadistic what they've done. If you read the link posted to the website set up for her defense it should tell you everything about this case. 

I never thought you did, that was a different poster.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sambum said:

I heard recently that a police translator advised a person who was totally innocent of illegal drinking, but was roped in with some people who were, to plead guilty. She said that once the Police take a case to court you will be found guilty - if you plead innocent, you will be faced with an expensive lawyer's bill, possible jail time, and when you do go to court, you will be found guilty and the sentence will be double what it would have been if you'd pleaded guilty in the first place!

Exactly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Would you sign for and accept your neighbours' package if you knew that they were drug dealers?

No l would not , very recently in philippines my glf sister had item delivered my home Unbeknown to myself l was home ! asked would I sign for the item My answer No it's not mine don't know what it is, Told delivery guy better you ring her make sure  she's here first and come back when she's here I will not sign for it Sorry Job done no stress 

1 minute ago, Mad mick said:

No l would not , very recently in philippines my glf sister had item delivered my home Unbeknown to myself l was home ! asked would I sign for the item My answer No it's not mine don't know what it is, Told delivery guy better you ring her make sure  she's here first and come back when she's here I will not sign for it Sorry Job done no stress 

Different world. West u would.

Thai's don't like not guilty pleas.

If they say you are guilty then you are guilty!! It doesn't matter what you say.

I think the fact that she was a foreign teenage girl when arrested spared her the "plastic bag'' treatment.

The drugs will be resold by the ''real criminals," we all know who they are.

A wedge of money early on would have got her out of this awful predicament.

If she actually knew what she was signing for is pure speculation and irrelevant, the payoff was not made and the boyfriend scarpered. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

Never trust a drug dealer or even an ex-drug dealer.  They are usually self-centred, extremely selfish, greedy, swindling, narcissistic sociopaths, with no empathy or sympathy for the damage they can do to others.  

Met a few in my time and zero respect for them. Scum. 

This drug dealer boyfriend threw her girlfriend under a bus (metaphorically speaking).  If he had turned himself in I dare say that this stupid woman would have had a lesser sentence to deal with.  

The words of Gus in Breaking Bad  "Never trust a drug addict".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Interesting, is this legal in Thailand? In other countries it’s illegal to sign for a package unless you live at the address. 

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Maybe you are behind on facts or something but MDMA is the last that ruins a life, aside of her innocence. 

I wouldn’t say that, it’s still a norepinephrine/serotonin/dopamine releasing agent. So it would be similar to cocaine, meth or other amphetamines. 

58 minutes ago, AventurasEnMadrid said:

A lot of you guys are simply heartless.

Interesting interpretation, on the flip side let’s say she got off with a slap on the wrist. That would give a sign to other drug dealers the Thailand is open for drug dealing, just put your boyfriends name on a the package of drugs and carry on ruining the country. I think Thailand has every right to protect their country and citizens by incarcerating drug dealers.  

If you know the consequences of doing illegal activities then I think when you face the conveniences it’s fair game. I think most feel bad for her in the sense that her life is over but I don’t see how one could say she doesn’t deserve it. 

4 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Maybe only 56 but she will look 96 I can only conclude you have never done a social visit to one of Thailands prisons I have and believe me it’s daunting and all I was doing was visiting Brits in Samui prison . Now your no longer to bring them food in case there’s a razor blade in there so that they can end there life in the hell hole 

No, you are actually right. I do not fancy visiting prisons, as I have much better things to do, during the days. Moreover, I do not visit criminals, whoever it might be, as there is a reason why they sit there, and then they also deserve it.

Yes, Thai prisons are hell holes, compared to the ones in UK. I assume they get all from working desk and bed as well as TV and internet in their rooms. That´s not punishment. It´s like a long stay at a hotel.

55 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

70 years for autograph. 10 years for murder. Strange world.

I guess one could argue drug dealing ruins more lives than a murder and it’s for a monetary gain, so it might actually be worse in a sense. 

think El Chapo vs Ted Buddy 

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I disagree. I have no idea who deals drugs in my village, probably none as it's a respectable village in Hua Hin. . 

You are not Thai you only pretend. Or you are that kind person who never get out of house.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

In US lots of legal cases are won not by actually proving something but just cornering the defendant into calculating if it costs more to concede or to fight the case. 

Being someone who’s taken very strong opioids myself, I find it very hard to believe people get addicted to this stuff unwillingly. I was on some of the strongest opioids (hydromorphone) for multiple surgeries, sometimes for a month and once the surgery was done and the pain was gone I didn’t feel any need to take them at all. There’s no “high” you get from it. There are some physical withdrawal symptoms but all it is, is some sweating/elevated heart rate for a few days.