Is this being racist?

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I think we are all racist to some degree based on our upbringing. 

Many Germans my age had grandparents in the war,  so understandable. 

My grandparents didn't like Germans understandably ,  and maybe that's why they are not my favourite country. My gran,  who died recently at 99 1/2, said her great grandparents were subjected to the Genocide in Scotland,  so again understandable why she was wary of Sasenachs. 

So your Grandmother didn't like Germans , She  Didn't like the English and used to call a Black boy a Golliwog ?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So your Grandmother didn't like Germans , She  Didn't like the English and used to call a Black boy a Golliwog ?

Why should any scottish like Englishmen? F orange men, still making their pride walk! If I was Scottish, I would not like English or england either. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And she watched the Black and White minstrels,  a harmless TV show that was banned by wokes. 

When I saw the first Terminator movie in the 1980s I thought if Germans were considered an oppressed minority this movie would be considered racist because of Arnold's character.   (ok, ok, Austrian!)

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

And she watched the Black and White minstrels,  a harmless TV show that was banned by wokes. 

It was a horrible programme .

Would you appreciate it if every Saturday night on prime time Thai TV numerous Thais dressed up in Scottish kilts with red hair and White faces and putting on Scottish accents whilst tossing the caber and drinking beer and dancing around and then the Thai kids doing the same in School teasing Felangs ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

William 3. of England? Prince of Orange?

He was born in The Netherlands  in 1690

"William III, also widely known as William of Orange, was the sovereign Prince of Orange from birth, Stadtholder of Holland, Zeeland, Utrecht, Guelders, and Overijssel in the Dutch Republic from the 1670s, and King of England, Ireland, and Scotland from 1689 until his death in 1702."

You should hate Dutch people , not English people 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He was born in The Netherlands  in 1690

"William III, also widely known as William of Orange, was the sovereign Prince of Orange from birth, Stadtholder of Holland, Zeeland, Utrecht, Guelders, and Overijssel in the Dutch Republic from the 1670s, and King of England, Ireland, and Scotland from 1689 until his death in 1702."

You should hate Dutch people , not English people 

You better know your history of origin of orange men, since he was King of England and won a few battles that is celebrated as march of orange men

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You better know your history of origin of orange men, since he was King of England and won a few battles that is celebrated as march of orange men

He was also king of Ireland and Scotland as well as England .

It was over 300 years ago, its really time to move on 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He was also king of Ireland and Scotland as well as England .

It was over 300 years ago, its really time to move on 

They still celebrate the victory the day today, that's what's kind of annoying for the chatolics, but I'm not Scottish, Irish or English, neither German!

It was just an example how people still many centuries later, still get reminded of being exploited because of a stupid march.

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

They still celebrate the victory the day today, that's what's kind of annoying for the chatolics, but I'm not Scottish, Irish or English, neither German!

It was just an example how people still many centuries later, still get reminded of being exploited because of a stupid march.

English people go to Scotland to march about a victory from over 300 years ago and that's why you dislike the English people , because they go to Scotland just to antagonise the Scots ?

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

English people go to Scotland to march about a victory from over 300 years ago and that's why you dislike the English people , because they go to Scotland just to antagonise the Scots ?

Read my first reply to you once more please

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Read my first reply to you once more please

Wasn't that the reason why Scottish people dislike English people ?

Scottish people dislike English people because some Scottish people March and celebrate  a Netherlands kings victory which happened over 300 years ago?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Wasn't that the reason why Scottish people dislike English people ?

Scottish people dislike English people because some Scottish people March and celebrate  a Netherlands kings victory which happened over 300 years ago?

There are many reasons, Will Carling and Cilla Black among them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Ha, really? You looked up ฝรั่งขี้นก then?

I don't need to look it up , I can speak and read Thai , I know exactly what it means,  However I have not chosen to play the part of an offended victim of racism / stereotyping     "Sticks and stones " is the phrase that springs to mind.  I learnt that when I was about 4 years old  Maybe the perpetually offended "community" should just be told to grow up a little

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

My grandmother loved that show too,  It was very popular, It was not banned or even criticised at the time , the series ended as it had run its course. The "ban" occured 40+ years later and not after complaints from black people. But as a result of wokies desperately looking for anything they could take offense at on behalf of others

9 hours ago, ozimoron said:

shock news: show which methodically portrayed blacks as inferior declared harmless by non black man.

It did not portray blacks as inferior, it was showcasing there musical abilities, nobody thought it was racist at the time because it was not. My grandparents had several black friends and they often watched and enjoyed  the show  together. 

It was declared racist by woke white people who judged it based on their own twisted standards  which were conceived 30 or 40 years later

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was a horrible programme .

Would you appreciate it if every Saturday night on prime time Thai TV numerous Thais dressed up in Scottish kilts with red hair and White faces and putting on Scottish accents whilst tossing the caber and drinking beer and dancing around and then the Thai kids doing the same in School teasing Felangs ?

I am not so sure it was "horrible" but as I was only a kid at the the time It was not exactly my favorite programme. But to describe it as racist is once again an example of people looking for something to be offended by, however their protests  have only served to draw attention to it, If it wasn't for them it would have been long forgotten about, 

Every Christmas in Thailand we are presented with Thai people on TV dressed in Santa Clause costumes sat around Christmas trees. even on  the news ! Personally I am not "offended" and I have never heard of anybody who is,  devout christians have never complained as far as I am aware, and even the wokies have been uncharacteristically quiet regarding this.

BUT, can you imagine the outpouring of shock and outrage, not by Thais or Buddhists, but by the white wokies,  if the likes of Piers Morgan, or Richard Madeley were to dress in orange robes during any of the Thai religious celebrations . The offence taken by the "woke" would be palpable and there would no doubt be calls for them to be hung, drawn and quartered at the least. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

There are many reasons, Will Carling and Cilla Black among them.

Scottish people do not hate English people per-se , that is clearly an over exaggeration , however a minority scottish people may feel that way, I doubt that it has much to do with the events of 300 years ago, It is a result of the rantings of a few politicians a lot more recently than that ,  Politicians who , in attempting to promote their agenda  seek to  encourage a form of toxic nationalism by attempting to place the blame for all of Scotlands "problems"  on the English  The result of the last referendum is evidence of that.  The referendum its self was not really conducted in a fair manner, and as far as many English people are concerned, should there be another, It would be far more "inclusive" if English people were given the chance to express there feelings too.  The result may well be affected in a way not to popular with the Scots

• Like 1

I had a Golliwog when I was a kid ,  it was just a doll, nothing more, 4 year old kids are not inherently racist and to allege possession of one   was  evidence of a  racist views is ridiculous. I never considered it was supposed to represent a black person, As I said before, to me  It was just a doll

Why  haven't I heard of any  wokies complaining about cabbage patch dolls misrepresenting white people when given to black kids

• Like 1

30 years ago out in the sticks here in Thailand I was regularly visited by locals who would bring their kids round just to see the "farang" many had not seen a white man before. They were very often terrified and usually broke down in tears, as it was common for their parents to tell them that white people would eat them given the chance. lol

Was I offended ? of course not. But then again  I may have thought differently had I been brainwashed by woke Thais constantly telling me I should be offended and apologising on behalf of Thai society  for the appalling "racism"  to which I had been subjected

To this day it is not uncommon for kids (and some adults) to point at and giggle amongst themselves when encountering a "ferang"   Am I offended  ? No   Strangely I don't hear any wokies taking offence on my behalf either. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

30 years ago out in the sticks here in Thailand I was regularly visited by locals who would bring their kids round just to see the "farang" many had not seen a white man before. They were very often terrified and usually broke down in tears, as it was common for their parents to tell them that white people would eat them given the chance. lol

Was I offended ? of course not. But then again  I may have thought differently had I been brainwashed by woke Thais constantly telling me I should be offended and apologising on behalf of Thai society  for the appalling "racism"  to which I had been subjected

To this day it is not uncommon for kids (and some adults) to point at and giggle amongst themselves when encountering a "ferang"   Am I offended  ? No   Strangely I don't hear any wokies taking offence on my behalf either. 

Methinks you use the word wokies way too much. It's a culture wars attack word that's been coopted by right wing people trying to defend all sorts of social ills.

I don't know the UK history of minstrel shows but I know in the US black people hated it as demeaning.

When blacks put on blackface it was not because they liked it but because it was work.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1