Water still leaking through roof of Thailand’s new ฿12bn parliament building

snoop1130

Come on, this is Thailand.

We should be grateful it was built at all, rather than the money just vanishing, and that it hasn't already collapsed, due to the same poor engineering that has resulted in the leaking roof, not yet having manifested itself in the rest of the overpriced and shoddily built structure.

One can but hope, given the nature of the creatures that will do business inside, that those weaknesses will one day manifest themselves, leading to a tragic loss of however many scoundrels make up the parliament, when it comes crashing down on their heads.

That would be justice, a thing rarely witnessed in the Land of Smiles.

Cutting corners, turning blind eyes, taking "commissions" which lead to not enough money for the right materials and engineering for the project has bitten more than a few in the proverbial backside after all.

• Like 2

I assume it is flat roof.  Which needs to have a thick tar layer and proper drainage to withstand water penetration.  Every flat roof will leak otherwise.

Either tar or a rubber compound. Rarely do you see a Thailand building finished properly. You really need a complete vapour barrier over the entire building envelop to protect it.

3945175.jpg

15 hours ago, Celsius said:

But but but my 4.5 million Bangkok bedsit is built to Western stadards

Better to build the roof to Thai monsoon standards than common Western standard...:thumbsup: My fully Thai constructed roof, build by Thai workers, has so far been standing watertight 12 years and withstanding heavy monsoon rain - even a 100-year record - without any leaks...????

Here in our village in the North you can rely on Thai Yai (borne in Myanmar) handycrafts. We don't regret having given them the different jobs to build our house.

It seems the Thai government doesn't know this.

Edited by puck2

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

The roof is fine.  It only leaks when it rains.

I had a landlord like this. Really. He though a bit of leaking and mold growth was normal for a roof.  The back window could not close properly because the little leak ran down onto the header and after a while it warped!

On 9/6/2022 at 11:55 PM, Wuvu2 said:

The government took delivery of the building during the dry season. That's the oldest contractor trick in the book ???? 

Where I live a new home has a 1 year warranty against defects.  Public and private contracts also have warranty clauses for various lengths of time.

23 hours ago, Don Chance said:

I assume it is flat roof.  Which needs to have a thick tar layer and proper drainage to withstand water penetration.  Every flat roof will leak otherwise.

Either tar or a rubber compound. Rarely do you see a Thailand building finished properly. You really need a complete vapour barrier over the entire building envelop to protect it.

3945175.jpg

Proper drainage on a flat roof means slight sloping to adequate drains.  Water needs to drain so there is no standing water to cause hydrostatic pressure.

7 hours ago, Don Chance said:

I had a landlord like this. Really. He though a bit of leaking and mold growth was normal for a roof.  The back window could not close properly because the little leak ran down onto the header and after a while it warped!

I grew up in slums of NYC, I was hearing these insultingly illogical arguments when I was a kid.  These buildings have central heat (well, did) and I've heard every excuse for not having heat when the temperature was below freezing, short of blaming the universe for expanding.

The country south of LOS and a country adjacent to it (where the language is quite similar) are notoriously bad at plumbing, especially sewage.  I've been to new shopping center buildings in both countries that already had the lingering smell.  There was a gov't building, a few weeks after opening a sewage pipe in the ceiling above the main lobby burst, and darn if they couldn't fix it, and the press kept on the story.  Weeks later (how hard is it to detect a cracked pipe leaking and stinking?) it was announced that it was the fault of inferior-quality plastic pipes from the US . 

Then there are the incidents of poor construction that cause death and injury, nothing to laugh at there.

• Like 1