Blacklisted due to Cannabis

17 minutes ago, proton said:

what stamp did immigration put in your PP? 100 years sounds a bit unlikely

There wasn't any mention of it in my passport. I tried to fly back a month after I was deported and wasn't allowed in. It was then I was told I was blacklisted and for how long. I then had a lawyer speak to immigration who confirmed it. The lawyer was extremely surprised I was blacklisted for so long for such a small thing saying that long would normally be for murderers etc but it is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jonesy456 said:

I was hoping maybe someone else might have been through something similar and be able to recommend a good lawyer at a more reasonable price.

Long ago, I knew someone, but not now. You could try offering the lawyer who quoted 800,000 baht a deal such as the following:

• 50,000 baht non returnable to cover expenses; and
  • 350,000 baht in escrow that they will receive only if the blacklisting is removed within six months.

I actually see their quoted high price as being a good sign that they can likely get it done. Also, in my mind, I already expected it would cost you at least US$10,000. (Well connected lawyers are expensive, and there will likely be some necessary greasing of wheels.) That said, fees for these things are usually negotiable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Change your name and get a new passport. I know a Thai who has done that at least twice. Will the fingerprints on arrival be an issue? Not sure. Cheaper option than 800k to a shark lawyer IMO. Worth a try and you get to choose a new name ???? 

No way that will work these days as most to all immigration including Thailand uses facial recognition. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nightfox said:

No way that will work these days as most to all immigration including Thailand uses facial recognition. 

I guess that depends on how long it's been since he last attempted to enter Thailand and when they introduced the biometrics systems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

Sad story, wish you luck.

I find it a bit odd though that for a "4000B crime" you got 100y blacklist. Did something else happen at Immigration?

Your wife and kids are of course free to go. And speaking of wife, how does she cope with all this? I think she should come to Thailand and set wheels in motion: talking to Immigration, contacting lawyers, perhaps trying to get attention on social media. The kids are legally Thai, I assume, the fact that they cannot have their father with them because of a minor offence which is not an offence anymore should have some weight.

(assuming it was for personal use)

Thanks. Nothing else happened - I was calm and polite throughout and it was for personal use. To meet me I expect you wouldn't think I'd been on the wrong side of the law or even that I like a smoke.

Wife and kids can go and have but the kids are still very young so miss their Dad while Mum has her hands full looking after them alone. Kids have UK and Thai passports. Wife took it really well considering she had to sell / pack up everything alone while looking after small children while I applied for her UK visa. We have a good life here so she's not desperate to move back or anything but would like to visit more often and have me there to help with the kids etc.

Changing passport etc won't work as my finger prints are in the system. I actually changed my passport anyway before trying to go back before just because I didn't want the deportation stamps for all to see but was pulled aside when scanning my fingers.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Change your name and get a new passport. I know a Thai who has done that at least twice. Will the fingerprints on arrival be an issue? Not sure. Cheaper option than 800k to a shark lawyer IMO. Worth a try and you get to choose a new name ???? 

A name change might make matters worse considering the marriage license and children's birth certificates. Can he talk to the Thai embassy for some reconciliation?

• Like 1

You need to speak to an attorney because you had a criminal conviction.

But I will take a guess.  You were charged  by the specific law at that time.  Which has nothing to do with now.  So your ban will probably be upheld.  But you can get an attorney to try to appeal it

Edited by swm59nj