Bring back Thaivisa.com

CrossBones

4 hours ago, rumak said:

when you start with that assumption........ you lose all credibility       

because you then try to assign "truth"  to all that your brain thinks is so.    but thanks for sharing.  a good example of what turns others off ....... 

It is true the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. It is true no-one has succeeded in circumventing the Second Law of Thermodynamics. It is true if one steps off the twentieth floor of a condo, the probability of surviving the fall is vanishingly small.

Perhaps you could explain what you think establishes your own credibility. I suspect ontology and epistemology are not your strong suits.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO it is useful to post material grievances here as a warning and information for others.

If there is a brand that throws you under a bus when it comes to a warranty, or a defective product, wouldn't you want to know about it?

If there was a police checkpoint that had a reputation for extorting foreigners on the flimsiest of pretexts, I am damn sure I would like to hear about that too.

I was referring to politics in my original post. I would suggest the things you mentioned would be in the category of living as an expat in Thailand, which commenting on i fully support.

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, blackcab said:

This is not the past, this is the present. Without advertisers such as google this forum would not exist, so for us, and for many other content creators these words have to be substituted.

So why is  Teak  /  Door not allowed to be mentioned on here without the powers above censoring the name? They aren't affecting this forums income other than being competitors. And I'm sure it's not a swear word.

18 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

So why is  Teak  /  Door not allowed to be mentioned on here without the powers above censoring the name? They aren't affecting this forums income other than being competitors. And I'm sure it's not a swear word.

You nailed it when you mentioned competitors. Forum rule 25 gives the reason:

25. You will not discuss or post links to other Thailand or ASEAN based forums, or forums which could be considered as competition to ASEAN NOW or our sponsors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

Grape instead of r@pe. Corn instead of p0rn. SA or essay instead of sexual assault. There are many others.

Deleting of those words is surely not the biggest problem, as obviously was not the meaning of the OP. There are other much frequent deletions, aren't they?  Does this "care" have also an impact on the Google's Family classification?

I think Google  destroyed it.

Google now  like specific websites for specific countries. Turning it into a multi country website diluted all the ranking "juice" it had. Big  mistake,. This forum is a shadow of its former self

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, blackcab said:

You nailed it when you mentioned competitors. Forum rule 25 gives the reason:

25. You will not discuss or post links to other Thailand or ASEAN based forums, or forums which could be considered as competition to ASEAN NOW or our sponsors.

What bad sports.

They didnt show any love to other forums to link to related content etc.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Because squabbles from over there continue over here and people over there can give abuse to people over here with impunity and vice versa 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe the newbies should just read all the previous answers.

Does it really help to open a new topic: Does she still love me?

The search function is horrible.

Unless you google asean now search subject which newbies wouldn't know. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CrossBones said:

What bad sports.

They didnt show any love to other forums to link to related content etc.

I don't know any commercial businesses that would allow their competitors to place free adverts (that never expire) in their store.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

Deleting of those words is surely not the biggest problem, as obviously was not the meaning of the OP. There are other much frequent deletions, aren't they?  Does this "care" have also an impact on the Google's Family classification?

Posts are removed by moderators, however every post that is removed must contravene our Forum Rules. The forum has a multi-stage appeal process, so if a member would like to appeal the removal then in the first instance they can PM the moderator to clarify matters.

Members can also contact Support to review the moderator's decision.

On occasion, when it is difficult to decide if a post contravenes forum rules then the moderating team will have a group discussion in order to form a consensus.

I would also mention that posts are not deleted, they are instead removed from public view. Every removed post is labelled with the moderator's username and the reason it was removed, and a permanent log is kept of all moderator actions. The removal process is transparent and all moderating staff can view each other's actions. This enables the moderation team to be consistent with their actions over time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

Well there is this from the BBC News website this morning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63524219

Twitter's new owner Elon Musk has defended sacking about half the company's workforce, saying he had "no choice" as Twitter was losing more than $4m (£3.5m) a day.

A tweet from Yoel Roth, Twitter's head of safety and integrity, referred to "approximately 50% cuts company-wide".

But Mr Musk said the social media giant's commitment to content moderation was "absolutely unchanged".

There is more on the link.

There's a difference between reducing staff numbers in an over-staffed, unprofitable company and screwing up the company.

22 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I think its down to members expectations some people post a question on here and expect instant answers

Its like they assume that forum members have nothing else to do other than answer their questions which some of the questions are so vague its impossible to answer or the question is a general question where the answer can easily be found by doing a search on the internet

Like where can I find a translator? Just google town and translation simple. Quicker than typing the question.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:
9 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Sure? Where are the numbers.

I'd have expected the new expat numbers to have decreased hugely since February 2020 - those two years+ I'd be surprised if previous levels were somehow maintained given the various total travel bans due to Covid19.

A very small statistical sample - seven of the nine local expats in our town departed early-mid 2020 to their home countries - given their ages I'd guess they're all either deceased or in rest homes, waiting; none have returned; the eighth had a job transfer.

I'd have noticed a sudden influx of new faces. Even one would stand out.

For retired people (I'm not) the costs of health insurance, risks of healthcare here may have deterred some from retiring here?

Lots of questions, but I'd estimate a lower number now than 2019.

When you speak of a statistical sample, and, especially, when you italicise the word "statistical", one wonders what you mean. 

Statistically speaking,.. 

Would you please report to us your statisticical analysis? 

"...especially when you italicise the word "statistical...""

He didn't, he italicised the word "small", meaning that his sample was small.

"Would you please report to us your statisticical analysis?" 

He did.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

A perfect example, one poster has made 10% of the posts and said absolutely nothing.

And the other posters who made 90% of the posts (according to your stats) also "said absolutely nothing".  But, then, of course, your post and my post are just opinions, not facts.

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Me neither, but there again I'm on a desktop that's ad proof. I did try accessing the site on my smartphone, that experience was ad. city and lasted under two minutes.

Posting about use of ad blockers is against the forum rules as is posting negative comments about ads.  Perhaps you'll only last a couple of minutes more following your confession.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:
4 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Just won't let it go, will you.

Trying to control an open forum. stop it.

Just to be clear, you elevated to my ignore list hours back so stop trying.

Just to be clear, adding a member to your ignore list has no effect on them, whatsoever, and, judging by your response to that post, you're not ignoring him!

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2022 at 3:13 AM, Sparktrader said:

That begpacker one used to be busy.

If that is referring to the one I think you are, it was busy till it was sold and the new moderators closed down all the interesting posts, so most of the posters that were able to give good information left. Last time I looked it was rather pathetic and not very helpful. When covid started they closed the forum anyway.

11 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Yes, it has changed immensely--one could have a good laugh back in the day (the likes of chonabot and ravisher)

It was more like a community back when I joined and lots of threads about ladyboys and suchlike which got the conversation going. Check out any really popular posts now and likely they will be about bargirls or suchlike.

I spent a lot longer on the forum then, but now I might have answered all the threads I was interested in in half an hour, and struggling to find anything new and interesting to read.

• Like 1