Thailand's police caught with their pants down in extortion case of Taiwanese actress and friends - Chuwit revelations latest

webfact

7 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I am very sorry to hear this story! For myself, I have no personal experience of corruption by the RTP to my disadvantage in 20 years living in Thailand.

The RTP are our Defenders

They are our Protectors

They are our Enforcers of the Constitution

The are our Enforcers of the law

Aren't they?

A high level of disappointment from me to the RTP

I presume this is sarcasm?

I really cannot believe that you have been here 20 years and never been scammed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

It has been obvious from the beginning that Charlene was telling the truth and the BiB, including the commissioner, were lying. Why would she want to make up such a story anyway?  She has enough popularity and publicity for herself already.

Another suspicious part of the BiB story is that they had communication problems with the group of apprehended tourists which apparently included a Singaporean, Mr Sky, who apparently paid the 27k bribe on behalf of the group. They claimed to have problems because they could speak English but the tourists could only speak Chinese.  Obviously Mr Sky, a Singaporean, can speak much better English than most Thai police. If he is a Chinese Singaporean, which seems most likely, he can also speak at least passable Mandarin and may have been talking to the Taiwanese in the group in Mandarin and could have interpreted for them. In addition I find it very unlikely that sophisticated young Taiwanese tourists cannot speak English at least as well or, more likely better than Bangkok's finest.  Apparently Charlene referred to Thailand's "ba5tard police" in English which implies a passable knowledge of English. 

So if the cops had communication difficulties, it was because their own poor English but they clearly got their point over to fluent English speaker Mr Sky as he was able to comply with their demand to hand over all their cash to the cops. 

The days of social media are clearly making life more difficult for Bangkok's finest extortion racket.

Chuwit had an online call with Mr Sky for 1 hour. Apparently they communicated just fine. 

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai Police to Meet Singaporean Man for Questioning over Extortion Claim

1675156438_102998-tnamcot-768x402.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 31 (TNA) – The Thai police will travel to Singapore to meet the Singaporean friend of the Taiwanese actress for questioning in the ongoing investigation into the allegation that Thai policemen extorted money from the tourists.

Pol Maj Gen Theeradej Thamsuthee, Investigation Division, the Metropolitan Police Bureau said he is seeking approval from the national police chief for the overseas mission. It is expected that the order will be issued tomorrow.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1105673

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2023-01-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

What a waste of money. It's amazing that they're still trying to spin this rather than admitting guilt and getting it out of the news as quickly as possible.

• Like 2

Why is police extorting money news. Everyone I know have been asked to pay money to get out of ticket. Including me. The city I live has many well known streets you don't go down after a few beers. 5,10, 20 thousand is the going rate for smelling like beer. We have a local Facebook page set up just for reporting check points that spring up. Very helpful 

14 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

It depends how often you do something like this.

There are now reports coming from Pattaya about chinese tourist claiming they have been extorted for 30,000 baht for vaping and making complaints to tour agencies. The news report also states that infractions for vaping are to be handled only in court and the police are not allowed to arrest or ticket for this. Not sure of the validity to this or if it's just "me too" add on but sounds as if it's not a one off situation.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Spock said:

The 'I have been living in Thailand for what seems forever' expat group who are determined to be more Thai than Thais. 

Whilst the, "I pretend to live in Thailand year round, but actually I spend nearly all that time in my bedsit in Burnley" group, are making a heck of a racket!

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai police will travel to Singapore to meet the Singaporean friend of the Taiwanese actress for questioning

They still scored an overseas trip out of it...

now that's how to create an opportunity out of nothing

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

What we have learned from the recent case of a young Chinese lady. It is better to travel using a VIP service. Then things like this will not happen. 

Paying for the VIP BS is still a bribe or extortion of sorts in my humble beer soaked, pussy addled brains opinion lol ????????

• Like 2

Just now, Tropposurfer said:

Paying for the VIP BS is still a bribe or extortion of sorts in my humble beer soaked, pussy addled brains opinion lol ????????

Just now, Tropposurfer said:

As an adjunct to the god-awful stink of this (no shock to those who are even vaguely semi-conscious in LOS) are the BiB still congregating on the freeways and overpasses just past the toll gates in BKK at the end of the month when their meagre, meagre wages run out and they pull Thais over and extorting hundred baht notes out of them for bogus stops? 

I aint' no Policing expert but I wonder (I know, I know I've said this before in posts about this as well as the I.O. graft n grifting BS behaviours I've known in the past) but, if they paid Police decently, vetted during selection, then trained much better, then monitored with independent checks n balances and gave ongoing training and support then the culture of the RTP might improve. But perhaps I am still hoping to see porkers fly one day. 

28 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

It is just too bad that there is not a single family in Thailand that could get these corrupt police

members to be arrested and jailed for extortion. TIT, and corruption rules, it seems.

You are joking of course, the family members all benefit directly or indirectly and the family unit is strong here, why would they snitch and if one did, snitch to who! I've seen this benefits stream in action (and continue to dos so) and could tell some stories but I don't want to stick my neck out that far. Suffice to say, the whole family benefits.

21 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Why not do it on Skype or some other app, no danger to himself.

Exactly, a Skype or Zoom video call. I would not trust coming back to Thailand to give evidence against the police either. In fact I see the very offer of it a tactic to calm things down, knowing full well it would be unlikely to be accepted. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, marcusb said:

What I find funny is the split. 

27,000 divided by 5-7 cops, plus a big tip for taxi driver.  They temporarily messed up their lives and careers for what,  4000 baht each?  What a joke. 

Not how it works. The loot would be distributer according to rank with the top guy getting the biggest slice

• Like 2

Hey the Thai police are getting a trip to Singapore, how nice. That shows me that 

I can go safely to Singapore, but not so much safely to Thailand?

Maybe it is time for Thailand to get more control of their corruption that

is pretty bad. Ha ha ha, just joking, it will be my grand son who may see

less corruption in Asia.  Sad but true.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

It would be quite intimidating just being stopped and searched at one of their checkpoints. <deleted> that is not an experience most tourists want on holiday

Yes. Never happened to me anywhere in the world, and I've travelled to around 35 countries. Nor have I seen police walk through entertainment areas in numbers, nor have I seen them close bars early just because they can and for no other reason. At least it gives tourists something to tell warn their friends about when they get home.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

But no they had to be carrying illegal items.

Would these be the illegal items that are not illegal in any other country, as far as I am aware? The ones that are openly on sale in tourist areas? The ones which many dozens, if not hundreds, of Thais use in the nightclubs of Bangkok every single night? Those ones?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Chuwit should run for PM.  People will run scared and hide, Skeltons will be found in many closets......

You can't "run" for PM.  Chuwit ran for governor of Bangkok twice and lost both times. He did win a seat in parliament but he was kicked out by the Constitutional Court.  If he wanted to be PM, he'd have to find a party to support him -- not that anybody in the senate would vote for him,

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Would these be the illegal items that are not illegal in any other country, as far as I am aware?

Guessing you aren't a vaper or you wouldn't have posted that, there are numerous countries.

Edited by Salerno

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks. Could you educate me.

Didn't want to take it off topic but here's a fairly accurate list. Funny thing is it doesn't include Taiwan which has just passed the third reading of a bill (13 Jan from memory) and will ban vaping as soon as it is published.

https://vapoholic.co.uk/2022/02/11/where-is-vaping-banned-countries-with-strictest-e-cig-laws/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1