Why are you in Thailand?

Why are you here?  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Other than that it has become more annoying and inconvenient to live here.  I never adjusted.  Never found the majority of the locals friendly. Except if they wanted something of course.

Pattaya?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Moved here about three years ago to Bangkok.  After I retired I wanted to experience living overseas. 
The only positive thing I can say.  Healthcare was good.  But I have very good insurance from my previous job in the states. 
Other than that it has become more annoying and inconvenient to live here.  I never adjusted.  Never found the majority of the locals friendly. Except if they wanted something of course. So moving back to the states in about two weeks. 

What!!?? WHY don't you enjoy living in a cynical, racist, shallow, overpriced, unequal, hot, humid, smelly, polluted country that does not value education? WHY YOU NO LOVE THAILAND?????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rose33 said:

What!!?? WHY don't you enjoy living in a cynical, racist, shallow, overpriced, unequal, hot, humid, smelly, polluted country that does not value education? WHY YOU NO LOVE THAILAND?????

^^^ good one. 100% agree

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Moved here about three years ago to Bangkok.  After I retired I wanted to experience living overseas. 
The only positive thing I can say.  Healthcare was good.  But I have very good insurance from my previous job in the states. 
Other than that it has become more annoying and inconvenient to live here.  I never adjusted.  Never found the majority of the locals friendly. Except if they wanted something of course. So moving back to the states in about two weeks. 

Agree.

How could the majority of them possibly be friendly? The majority are TAUGHT, FAMILY-PRESSURED and PEER-PRESSURED to hate us. Even their legal system treats us like dirt. It's institutionalised. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Retirement.  I am beginning to think it was a mistake. Other places are more welcoming.

I guess you are in Pattaya. I'm amazed the guys that retire there and are surprised they are not welcome in the world's largest brothel.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, rose33 said:

How could the majority of them possibly be friendly? The majority are TAUGHT, FAMILY-PRESSURED and PEER-PRESSURED to hate us. Even their legal system treats us like dirt. It's institutionalised. 

sorry for sounding patronizing, but your attitude needs some work. 

they don't all hate all farangs. come on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

sorry for sounding patronizing, but your attitude needs some work. 

they don't all hate all farangs. come on.

That's why I carefully specified 'majority'. Twice.

Sorry to sound patronising.

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I guess you are in Pattaya. I'm amazed the guys that retire there and are surprised they are not welcome in the world's largest brothel.

I think that majority of those that settle in Pattaya are well aware it's one huge brothel.

You certainly don't go there for the pristine beaches, so cheap sex, boys or girls, your choice i would suggest is the driving factor

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think that majority of those that settle in Pattaya are well aware it's one huge brothel.

You certainly don't go there for the pristine beaches, so cheap sex, boys or girls, your choice i would suggest is the driving factor

Without denying the above, I think many western guys settle in Pattaya because they are just more comfortable being around a large bunch of fellow farangs.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It would also be naive to think that you'd be any more welcome in a backwater yokel village, especially since the trollops in Pattaya are from those places. They are really not different in their mentality.

In fact, I have noticed when village girls go to start their noble careers in Pattaya and other suchlike cosmopolitan milieus, they often come back to the village a very different individual: more educated and worldly.

I may be pushing it a bit, but I'd say farang are more welcome in Pattaya than Nakorn Nowhere.

• Thanks 1