I thought healthcare in Thailand was supposed to be cheap?

Startmeup

13 hours ago, Startmeup said:

Ive asked many local clinics to do this. They all say need to go to hospital. Has this been your experience? 

Most outpatient medical care in Thailand is done in OPD departments of hospitals.

Stand alone derm clinics are usually oriented to cosmetic procedures (and further, to ones popular with Thais) and won't have liquid nitrogen

There is one clinic i Bangkok where you can get cryo done by a British GP

https://www.medconsultasia.com/

Best to make appointment by email or Line, don't try through website does not work well.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

This dermatologist does use Liquid Nitrogen ... and anyone happens to be in the need or in the area/passing thru.  A little dab will do you, for those small spots.

IF not having access to a clinic with LN, then go buy some Swensen's take away ice cream, as they will usually pack it in dry ice.  Self administer (with tweezers) some dry ice to a small skin growth, till very uncomfortable (burnng ????), and that will do the same thing.   

I've done that a few times with success.   You got like 7 layers of skin, so freezing/burning a few won't hurt you, permanently, or scar you.  You won't be able to hold it there that long to hurt yourself, unless into a bit of S&M.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Startmeup said:

Blood test example of what I have priced recently. Both private orders.

All those who say Im mad, show me where it can be done cheaper, Id love to be proven wrong. Same goes for Dexa scan. This is what im up against any time im looking for a blood test that is any ways out of the ordinary. Not to mention the one month waiting time for these results in Bangkok.

BKK 16,750 baht

Aus 11,000 baht

1.thumb.png.1d7d3338c953df41b4290cbe8c31ac0b.png

2.png.b475c34c7016b5a031c27b03ac1a9029.png

I had a cholesterol fasting blood test at my local gov; hospital and it gave results within 2 hours and the fee was 450 baht . Very good as the UK  NHS will take 1 week . So although I have criticised the Thai gov; hospitals on falang prices in the past , occaisionally they are a good deal 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recommend Bangkok R.I.A. group for blood work - they have a lab in CM and I took the "General Public" package that includes:

Complete blood count testing (CBC)

Fasting blood sugar (FBS)

Hemoglobin A1C screening

Cholesterol, Triglyceride, HDL, LDL screening

Liver screening (SGOT, SGPT, Alk.phospatase, Total Protein, Albumin, Bilirubin, Globulin)

Kidney screening (BUN, Creatinine)

Uric acid testing

Urine analysis

Hepatitis B virus screening (HBs Ag, HBs Ab, HBc Ab)

(And I added a pancreatic enzymes test for a small extra fee.)

Results emailed within 36 hours; the cost was under 3,000 thb.  (They have more comprehensive packages as well.)  The website lists their Bangkok location.

https://www.brianet.com/en/map-and-contact/

On 3/2/2023 at 7:06 PM, stoner said:

got a root canal done last week. fantastic work almost totally painless she was like a ninja with that needle.

no more than say 2 hours in the chair and 2100 baht later my tooth was fixed. 

back home you are looking at 20000b up for the same work. 

Who was that with?

2 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

I recommend Bangkok R.I.A. group for blood work - they have a lab in CM and I took the "General Public" package that includes:

Complete blood count testing (CBC)

Fasting blood sugar (FBS)

Hemoglobin A1C screening

Cholesterol, Triglyceride, HDL, LDL screening

Liver screening (SGOT, SGPT, Alk.phospatase, Total Protein, Albumin, Bilirubin, Globulin)

Kidney screening (BUN, Creatinine)

Uric acid testing

Urine analysis

Hepatitis B virus screening (HBs Ag, HBs Ab, HBc Ab)

(And I added a pancreatic enzymes test for a small extra fee.)

Results emailed within 36 hours; the cost was under 3,000 thb.  (They have more comprehensive packages as well.)  The website lists their Bangkok location.

https://www.brianet.com/en/map-and-contact/

I still have my email quote from them from May last year. They were more expensive than Bangkok Lab for what I wanted. Approx 2-3000 more expensive.

They quoted me 15000 baht for what costs 6000 baht in Australia.

Definitely one of the most competitive I have found in Bangkok though, worth checking with them.

Edited by Startmeup

The myth of cheap quality medical care in Thailand is rapidly imploding.

Yes if push comes to shove you get treatment in the local Nakorn Backofbeyond government hospital it might be cheap, but cross your fingers you'll come out alive.

If you're talking about any Western style hospital care, you'd probably be better off at home

As for dentistry, I had two crowns which failed after 20 years replaced by a top ranked dentist in Thonglor,

Both failed within 24 months. My US dentist who replaced them wasn't exactly complementary on the quality of the work I had received!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Yes if push comes to shove you get treatment in the local Nakorn Backofbeyond government hospital it might be cheap, but cross your fingers you'll come out alive.

If you're talking about any Western style hospital care, you'd probably be better off at home

As for dentistry, I had two crowns which failed after 20 years replaced by a top ranked dentist in Thonglor,

Both failed within 24 months. My US dentist who replaced them wasn't exactly complementary on the quality of the work I had received!

move to a large city with choice of many governmental hospitals. I have 3 within 10km radius, including 2 university ones.

You can register with as many hospitals as you wish and chose which treatment you do at each of them.

4 nights stay 14k - 6k for tests/treatments/doctors and 8k for a bed/food/nursing on  a common ward

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

South Dakota near bottom of hospital system quality rankings
-- May 11, 2022 

(The Center Square) – South Dakota is among the worst states in the nation for hospital safety, according to a new report.

The Leapfrog Group ranked South Dakota 45th after analyzing nearly 3,000 acute-care hospitals across the U.S. for patient safety. 

Only 10% of the hospitals it investigated in South Dakota received an "A" grade. 

https://www.thecentersquare.com/south_dakota/article_ce1211ae-d168-11ec-9b84-23090bca6ff2.html

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 6:37 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

I think dentist here are crooks. 

Stupid people pay stupid prices. 
My dentist here is world class, conscientious and very generous. Her work was inspected and praised by dentists in the U.K. 

Just now, NextG said:

Stupid people pay stupid prices. 
My dentist here is world class, conscientious and very generous. Her work was inspected and praised by dentists in the U.K. 

My dentist too , Doctor Hemawan at Paolo Kasetsart. Took my mother there when she was over. Still says the best dentist she ever had .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I did my research and chose to have my work done outside Bangkok… 
Was quoted 65,000 to 80,000 plus extras in Bangkok. Paid 40,000 all in at a private hospital outside Bangkok. 

5 minutes ago, NextG said:

I did my research and chose to have my work done outside Bangkok… 
Was quoted 65,000 to 80,000 plus extras in Bangkok. Paid 40,000 all in at a private hospital outside Bangkok. 

great saving.

does this hospital outside of bangkok have a location/name ?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

great saving.

does this hospital outside of bangkok have a location/name ?

Yes. Phyathai Sri Racha. Though Ms Suwangatte moved on to private practice in Bang Saen. 
Along with the experience of others here; the best dentist/maxillofacial surgeon ever for me and I don’t go anywhere else. I even travel to Thailand specifically to see her. 

41 minutes ago, NextG said:

Yes. Phyathai Sri Racha. Though Ms Suwangatte moved on to private practice in Bang Saen. 
Along with the experience of others here; the best dentist/maxillofacial surgeon ever for me and I don’t go anywhere else. I even travel to Thailand specifically to see her. 

good hospital.

thats my registered hospital for social security.

On 3/2/2023 at 6:49 PM, userabcd said:

Not true at all. They have an abundance of dentists and some of the best dental care in the world.

The price of a screw in tooth has more than tripled over the past few years. I guess they figure that if they charge a few dollars less than the USA the customers will pour in. However if they really want customers they should be charging less than eastern Europe.

1 hour ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Thailand is cheaper compared to the United States.  That does not mean that you can't run up a bill that you will have difficulty paying.  I wish we ALL had access to a system like the UK's NHS.

Sorry to tell you that the UKs NHS is in trouble with some patients waiting 2,3 or 4 years for non-urgent operations . Serious shortage of nurses & doctors and trying to get an appointment with your local doctor is a joke . Call them on the phone and you may be number 20 in a queue and finally get an appointment in 2 weeks time or a phone call consultation from the doctor with a 3 minute time limit . NHS say they are 100,000 nurses short . Could be the end in sight for the mismanaged NHS .

On 3/3/2023 at 6:32 AM, Adumbration said:

More than a decade and a half ago I needed signficant dental work done in Australia.  I went to the dentist and got a written quote.  When the girl gave it to me I laughed in her face.  It was just over 18,000 dollars AUD.  I flew to Bangkok and had the work done at Prom Jai dental in Thong Lor.  The cost was just over 2,000 AUD all up.  And they keep asking me if I wanted a letter to claim if on insurance.

Extensive dental work and its high cost is regarded by dentists as the penalty patients pay for a lifetime of poor oral hygiene, laziness, and not having regular check-ups.

6 minutes ago, crouchpeter said:

Extensive dental work and its high cost is regarded by dentists as the penalty patients pay for a lifetime of poor oral hygiene, laziness, and not having regular check-ups.

That would make them egotistical hypocrites as grandfather and 2 uncles were dentists - and they also had dental issues.   

• Like 1