Songkran tragedy: Woman killed and 7 injured as pick-up plows into roadside tent where kids were splashing water

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Tragic moment

Daily News reported that an accident occurred on a road in Sa Kaeo province in the east of Thailand where children were splashing water near a Sawang Sa Kaeo rescue tent.

An Isuzu driven by Daeng, 47, lost control on the wet road and CCTV showed him driving into the tent.

A 36 year old woman from Klong Hat was killed and seven people were injured, two seriously, including an 11 year old boy.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

It happened on Route 3395, the Klong Hat to Wattananakhon Road.

Daily News had several still shots taken from the CCTV footage of the tragedy.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-04-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Think about it please and look at the photo! Fro. The photo and the straightness of the vehicle it looks like it just drove straight into the well lit tented area and I don't think children can throw water 30 ++ meters up the road to effect breaking do you? I personally don't like Songkran however I think this family took extremely good precautions to allow their children to play. Blame the driver not the victims!!!

I didn't think they were allowed to throw water after sunset?

• Confused 2

It is not called the seven deadly days for nothing (sadly).

In the small group of people that I know -

son of one friend died in a motorbike accident. Funeral was today.

member of staff in hospital after a motorbike accident.

neighbour's helper injured in a motorbike accident when she crashed after a bucket of water was thrown in her face.

All very sad.

On 4/17/2023 at 11:53 AM, Tarteso said:
On 4/17/2023 at 11:39 AM, webfact said:

Daeng, 47, lost control on the wet road

Yawn..

(Probably) more precisely, Daeng (possibly inebriated), on suddenly seeing what he thought was a police checkpoint, nailed the brakes and they failed to operate in the manner he was accustomed to (when sober).

On 4/17/2023 at 7:41 PM, prakhonchai nick said:

Let those that want to play do so in a specified designated area.  Ban water splashing spraying etec everywhere else.. Time to grow up.   Customs and traditions need to change with the times

No Nick, no they don't.

On 4/17/2023 at 12:14 PM, BritManToo said:

I didn't think they were allowed to throw water after sunset?

Nothing to suggest that the children were throwing water anywhere at the time. They were playing with water at the roadside beside a brightly lit rescue station. Nothing excessively dangerous there.

Now, if we want to talk about exceeding safe speeds while driving...

On 4/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, prakhonchai nick said:

Let those that want to play do so in a specified designated area.  Ban water splashing spraying etec everywhere else.. Time to grow up.   Customs and traditions need to change with the times

they have changed with the times, and that's the root of the problem.

I've spent many a happy Songkhran driving around the country over the holiday period - largely to get away from the frenetic water fights  in the built up urban areas.

It is rather pleasant driving through the country or a small town and parents brings their kids onto the side of the road with water etc. You slow the car down or come to a stand still and the family "anoints" your car or smears it with talc. It' a nice way of saying happy Songkhran.

However the other side is the safety factor of holding activities by the side of a road - it is sadly an invitation for disaster.

one of the most memorable sights for me is watching two picks full of revellers converging towards each other on a road - as they meet there is an explosion of water and powder - it is very reminiscent of two galleons engaging at sea. It is unfortunate that despite being a national holiday, some people seem to be unaware and don't make adjustments to the unusual road conditions.

Song Khran - .jpeg

Edited by kwilco

On 4/17/2023 at 9:39 AM, webfact said:

lost control on the wet road

One of the problems with driving at a speed and in a style where the vehicle is constantly only just within your control.

Not unusual to see trucks burning away whenever they get the chance and maintaining a dangerously high speed most of the time.

All it takes is a loss of traction or an unexpected change of lanes...