Are you still out there socially at your age ?

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was walking home from work last night in Sydney about 1030pm only to see a drag queen probably in his 60's lining up outside a bar to get in ...it was a cold night and I had respect for someone like that who actually goes out to mix with the drunks and young people and lines up on a cold night to get into a bar rather than the rest of us who would prefer to go home and watch midsummer murders or touch of frost on tv 

Why would you have more respect for an older person going out than one staying in?  If both are doing what they want and are happy, why is one more worthy of respect?  Should an older person who would rather be relaxing at home go out and party just to defy some sort of stereotype?

You sound like you maybe have a few issues around your age and being seen as too old to party with the younger people.  I suggest you try to worry less about what other people think of you and simply do whatever makes you happy.

I thought one of the best things about getting older was the fact that you didn't have this anxiety around wanting other people to think you're cool and just being able to do what makes you happy.

If you want to go out and party with younger people, go and do it.  But I don't think any older person (or younger person for that matter) who would rather stay in than go out and party is deserving of any kind of criticism for doing what makes them happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

You pay them money.  What did you think would happen? 

Unlike you, I prefer to be surrounded by women.  

dang..beat me to it...I was gonna say dont forget to read the small print before indulging in said affairs..... ????

im fine hanging with my besties...Bud Weiser, Johnnie Walker and Mr Jack......Daniels that is....

once we get a few in us I call my best girl.....who comes from St Pauli.....never lets me down... ????

Maybe we can have a weekly meetup of grumpy grandpas at Club Spicy..meet at 4am since most wake up then??

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls

3 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

You pay them money.  What did you think would happen? 

Unlike you, I prefer to be surrounded by women.  

It's to you if you like the older generation.

And do they talk with you because they love your look and your jokes so much? Or are there other reasons?

Most of the time I don't pay the girls directly any money. I buy them drinks. Maybe lady drinks from which they get a little money, but maybe just drinks without any money connection. When I was young, I also bought the girls which I liked drinks or dinner. I didn't consider it "paying them" and I am pretty sure they didn't see it as payment. 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And do they talk with you because they love your look and your jokes so much? Or are there other reasons?

Most of the time I don't pay the girls directly any money. I buy them drinks. Maybe lady drinks from which they get a little money, but maybe just drinks without any money connection. When I was young, I also bought the girls which I liked drinks or dinner. I didn't consider it "paying them" and I am pretty sure they didn't see it as payment. 

I don't moralise or lose any sleep over it one way or the other. Most of those girls have a family to support.

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The girls in the bars are not there for their own pleasure, but for their survival, and to look after their children.  We can waste their time, or buy ladies' drinks to help them get by, or pass them money directly.  My preference is to make sure that they are OK, and that they don't resent me as a cheapskate, in case - through drink or misjudgement - I ever come to rely upon their goodwill.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

The girls in the bars are not there for their own pleasure, but for their survival, and to look after their children.  We can waste their time, or buy ladies' drinks to help them get by, or pass them money directly.  My preference is to make sure that they are OK, and that they don't resent me as a cheapskate, in case - through drink or misjudgement - I ever come to rely upon their goodwill.

I think about that every time I pass a beggar on the street.

Going out socializing at night has lost much of its allure.  Maybe partly because of age (81).  But also from jet lag.  It takes a week or two to adjust to Thai time after flights from New York.  So I'm awake before sunrise and tiring by sunset.  My GF (41) adjusts easily to the increased relaxing time without having to go out at night to socialize, which she hasn't enjoyed anyway since her early thirties.  She prefers just being with me, which is fine.  Back in New York, jet lag works the same way: I'm in bed by 9.  No more concerts or plays as in my younger days but that's because of my wife's illness.  One consequence of age is that the old friends I haven't lost are less mobil and I do less when I'm alone.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

What does this even mean, 'out socially'

If it means engaging in normal age appropriate social activities well most of us are.

If it means a 60 year old going a 'rave' with 20 somethings, well dude get a life and stop embarrassing yourself

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

What does this even mean, 'out socially'

If it means engaging in normal age appropriate social activities well most of us are.

If it means a 60 year old going a 'rave' with 20 somethings, well dude get a life and stop embarrassing yourself

Socializing in Thailand, means alchohol even when we where out driving motorbikes, so those randomly group things, I quit rather quick. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You don't get it.  I'll help you. 

Girls vs Women 

I don't play with girls. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Survival?

I guess you also believe them when they tell you their buffalo is sick. 

Curiously, in 43 years in Thailand and the Philippines I've never heard that in a bar. The term "urban myth" springs to mind.

• Love It 1

To the above, I once got a phone call from my girlfriend at the time (no English) in Khon Kaen who asked what was I doing?

I said I was in  Khorat at a meeting of the Thai Association for the Blind.

She said: Well that's the lamest excuse I've ever heard for visiting another girl.

I actually was doing what I said and put the head-cheese blind-guy on the phone.

I guess it depends where you are & who you are with.

To me there is nothing more annoying than being rounded up by a tourist 70+ year old 2 week millionaire with a 35+ year younger bargirl, telling me that he knows everything about Thailand.

I'd much rather spend time in the village where spoken language is lacking and body language rules.

Each day is a new adventure.????????

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

I guess it depends where you are & who you are with.

To me there is nothing more annoying than being rounded up by a tourist 70+ year old 2 week millionaire with a 35+ year younger bargirl, telling me that he knows everything about Thailand.

I'd much rather spend time in the village where spoken language is lacking and body language rules.

Each day is a new adventure.????????

Thank goodness we are all different.

I detest banal village life - and I detest tourist know-it-alls.  I think that I could survive the tourist longer than I could survive village life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Thank goodness we are all different.

I detest banal village life - and I detest tourist know-it-alls.  I think that I could survive the tourist longer than I could survive village life.

Yes, it's a balancing act.

I spend 50/50 Pattata (nowhere near central bars) & central province.

6 weeks at a stretch in the village is ample.

But, by leisurely riding my bicycle most late afternoons I can interact with more locals than my wifes family.

It's good to wave and say Hello.????????

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've lived here 14 years and never interacted in Thai society. 

Haha.

Good for you. Take Thailand as you please.

People will say, "Why you here?" but just ignore the haters. We don't need to be here for the culture. There are other things.

Honestly, the more I have interacted with Thai society, the more problems I've encountered. They've got a lot of baggage and I ain't a baggage handler (anymore) ????

I have met a few saints and angels in this realm, but there's a lot of muck to wade through and leeches galore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I avoid Songkran festivities, as don't enjoy strangers throwing water from suspect source on me.

I, we go out, not socially, as do that in home, or friends home.   Do go out to 'festivities/festivals' in Thailand, sometimes, if there, or special trip.

Popped up to Pak Nam Pran (Pranburi beach) yesterday for the 'Seafood Festival', though didn't get out of the car ????   Nothing set up or being set up, and supposedly there until today, as another concert schedule.  Didn't go for the music, just food & people watching.  At near 1700 hrs, and nothing open at festival or appeared to be setting up.

Even called 1 hotel about staying overnight, and strangely, they asked us to call day ahead, and they'd prep the room.  Apparently not too busy.

Had a game plan, stop at the many vendors on the way at Khao Kalok area, again, didn't bother getting out of car.  Next, hit the vendors on Beach road, along the 'most speedbumps' in TH exhibit, and again, didn't bother getting out of car.

3rs stop would have been the festival, with last stop, if needing, 'Wake Up' cafe for beverage & pastry.

Turned out, Wake Up Cafe & Bistro, was the only stop, instead of the planned day, and last resort was the only resort left.

And a very pleasant meal it was, and recommend if in the area.

Note to self:  head South when bored.

Yes, we attend festivals, not socially with group, but by ourselves.   Some use to be repetitive visits, such as Jazz Festival (Hua Hin), and that from Udon Thani, so a planned weekend out, till they screwed that up.

Longboat Racing this weekend, Pranburi River, but no info on that, so gave that a pass.   Someone from HH forum did a recon, to find out where it will actually be, and no success.  Typical of many festivals, announce, but no info.

Like attending festivals, Kwai Racing @ Chonburi for example, and of course, NYE fireworks.   If not too much of a hassle, and in the area.

Most are a bit lame, or as yesterday, not well organized, or late to no info.  But it was nice day out, only 1 hr away.  Got a good snap of a lizard, and a good munch.   What's not to like.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I avoid Songkran festivities, as don't enjoy strangers throwing water from suspect source on me.

I, we go out, not socially, as do that in home, or friends home.   Do go out to 'festivities/festivals' in Thailand, sometimes, if there, or special trip.

Popped up to Pak Nam Pran (Pranburi beach) yesterday for the 'Seafood Festival', though didn't get out of the car ????   Nothing set up or being set up, and supposedly there until today, as another concert schedule.  Didn't go for the music, just food & people watching.  At near 1700 hrs, and nothing open at festival or appeared to be setting up.

Even called 1 hotel about staying overnight, and strangely, they asked us to call day ahead, and they'd prep the room.  Apparently not too busy.

Had a game plan, stop at the many vendors on the way at Khao Kalok area, again, didn't bother getting out of car.  Next, hit the vendors on Beach road, along the 'most speedbumps' in TH exhibit, and again, didn't bother getting out of car.

3rs stop would have been the festival, with last stop, if needing, 'Wake Up' cafe for beverage & pastry.

Turned out, Wake Up Cafe & Bistro, was the only stop, instead of the planned day, and last resort was the only resort left.

And a very pleasant meal it was, and recommend if in the area.

Note to self:  head South when bored.

Yes, we attend festivals, not socially with group, but by ourselves.   Some use to be repetitive visits, such as Jazz Festival (Hua Hin), and that from Udon Thani, so a planned weekend out, till they screwed that up.

Longboat Racing this weekend, Pranburi River, but no info on that, so gave that a pass.   Someone from HH forum did a recon, to find out where it will actually be, and no success.  Typical of many festivals, announce, but no info.

Like attending festivals, Kwai Racing @ Chonburi for example, and of course, NYE fireworks.   If not too much of a hassle, and in the area.

Most are a bit lame, or as yesterday, not well organized, or late to no info.  But it was nice day out, only 1 hr away.  Got a good snap of a lizard, and a good munch.   What's not to like.

The MG.....................????