Donald Trump raped me, writer E Jean Carroll testifies in New York court

onthedarkside

On 4/27/2023 at 12:20 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump will be given the opportunity to take the stand and present his version of events.

The jury will decide.

That’s how trials work.

And he will be acquitted. That's how Trump sham trials work.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

She cannot even remember the month.

This is from the actual complaint filed in Federal Court  11/24/22 by Ms. Carroll's attorneys:

FACTUAL ALLEGATIONS
I. TRUMP RAPES CARROLL AT BERGDORF GOODMAN
18. One evening between the fall of 1995 and the spring of 1996, Carroll left work and went to Bergdorf Goodman, the luxury department store on Fifth Avenue in New York City. She
was and remains a regular shopper at Bergdorf’s. 

It also states in the complaint:

9. Carroll is a journalist.

So, as a journalist, no contemporaneous notes from such an event?

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.590045/gov.uscourts.nysd.590045.1.0_1.pdf

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

And he will be acquitted. That's how Trump sham trials work.

I think you are confusing the GOP sham impeachment trials with those held in open courts before juries of citizens who are not bought and owned by the hyper wealthy who own the GOP.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I think you are confusing the GOP sham impeachment trials with those held in open courts before juries of citizens who are not bought and owned by the hyper wealthy who own the GOP.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/25/trump-e-jean-carroll-rape-civil-new-york-case

What will happen if Trump loses the sexual assault case?

If the jury finds that Trump did rape or otherwise assault Carroll, it is likely to order him to pay damages. It will also mean that for the first time in US history, a jury will have found a former president is a rapist.

Political scientists say it is unlikely to do much damage to Trump’s run for the Republican presidential nomination next year because his more ardent supporters regard the various legal cases against him as a conspiracy.

But it will add to his already considerable political baggage in the general election and prove a further obstacle to re-election as president.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/25/trump-e-jean-carroll-rape-civil-new-york-case

If the jury finds that Trump did rape or otherwise assault Carroll, it is likely to order him to pay damages. It will also mean that for the first time in US history, a jury will have found a former president is a rapist.

Political scientists say it is unlikely to do much damage to Trump’s run for the Republican presidential nomination next year because his more ardent supporters regard the various legal cases against him as a conspiracy.

But it will add to his already considerable political baggage in the general election and prove a further obstacle to re-election as president.

I agree.

The problem for Trump is, his base can’t win him an election. 

He needs to attract middle of the road swing voters.

• Like 1

ooops, oh well, never mind.............:smile:

Trump Lawyer Joe Tacopina’s Terrible Cross-Examination Gets Even Worse

During more than a full day of cross-examination of E. Jean Carroll, Joe Tacopina, Donald Trump’s lead trial lawyer, gave an object lesson on how NOT to conduct a cross-examination in federal court.

The first day of cross-examination was bad. Day two was even worse. If a juror believed E. Jean Carroll’s direct testimony that she was raped by Donald Trump, Tacopina gave that juror precious little reason to reconsider that conclusion.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-lawyer-joe-tacopinas-terrible-cross-examination-in-e-jean-carroll-trial-gets-even-worse

A close friend of E Jean Carroll has told a New York jury that she received a distressed call from the advice columnist within minutes of Donald Trump allegedly raping her.

Lisa Birnbach testified at Carroll’s civil action against the former president on Tuesday that she was feeding her children at home when Carroll called “breathless, hyperventilating, emotional” in the spring of 1996.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/02/trump-rape-trial-lisa-birnbach-testimony

Also:

On the same day as testimony from Lisa Birnbach, who described a 1996 phone conversation with Carroll after the alleged incident, Trump lawyer Joe Tacopina told U.S. District Court Judge Lewis Kaplan that his client would not be testifying at the trial.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/friend-testifies-e-jean-carroll-called-minutes-alleged-trump-attack-rcna82437

So it seems no lawyer on either side will be asking  Mr. Trump if he were to testify in person at the trial:

So Mr. Trump, where were YOU in the spring of 1996?

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Appeals
The losing party in a decision by a trial court in the federal courts normally is entitled to appeal the decision to a federal court of appeals. 

Civil Case
Either side may appeal the verdict.

https://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/types-cases/appeals

• Like 1

Earlier Wednesday, Tacopina told Judge Lewis Kaplan that Trump will not mount a defense in the case.

Tacopina told the judge that he had decided not to call an expert witness that had been expected to testify for the defense. "We're not going to move forward," Tacopina said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/psychologist-testifies-trump-rape-accuser-jean-carroll-elements/story?id=99041556

For one thing, she says she does not remember the exact date of the encounter. ... But without a specific date, Tacopina told the jurors in his opening statement on Tuesday, it is impossible for Trump to prove his innocence. “She doesn’t want to give Donald Trump the opportunity to provide an alibi,” he said.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/04/trump-rape-lawsuit-e-jean-carroll-joe-tacopina.html

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

Tacopina, petitioned the judge to declare the case a mistrial on the claim of the judge himself being biased.

It seems like a bit of theatrics for an audience of one, it certainly did not impress the judge.

The question is, if Tacopina  believes he’s winning the case he wouldn’t want a mistrial. 

It all the stink of that ‘life’s not fair’ plot Trump Likes to lay out for his supporters.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-lawyer-tacopina-asks-judge-mistrial-e-jean-carroll-case-2023-5

Edited by Chomper Higgot

Also from Business Insider  04MAY2023

Trump won't call any witnesses to defend him in E. Jean Carroll rape trial, his lawyer says

"There are no witnesses to call to prove a negative. Other than saying I didn't do it, which he said he is being sued for, he has denied it. There is nothing else he could say," Tacopina said in his opening statement last week. "He wasn't there. He didn't do it."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-trial-no-witnesses-testify-defense-rape-e-jean-carroll-2023-5

On 4/27/2023 at 5:20 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump will be given the opportunity to take the stand and present his version of events.

The jury will decide.

That’s how trials work.

He has decided not to "take the stand", (he has popped " home" - to Aberdeen apparently!)

Which may have implications for the jury's decision.

That's how trials work.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

At home in Aberdeen perhaps?????

3 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:
On 5/3/2023 at 4:29 AM, jerrymahoney said:

So Mr. Trump, where were YOU in the spring of 1996?

At home in Aberdeen perhaps?????

So Mr. Trump, being denied the opportunity if not the right to offer an alibi defense by no exact date of the alleged offense being giving, is OK by some of the Members on here?

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

How about the Harvey Weinstein cases where he is still being prosecuted for assaults many decades ago. Rape is not a victimless crime, and causes its victims duress and other issues such as feeling ashamed and not wanting others to know about it. As the plaintiff here, Ms. Carroll, has said it took a change in her life for her to come forward. It happens all of the time. Nothing political about it in my view.

All the above may be true but now a civil complaint has been filed in Federal Court involving one specific incident wherein the original complaint states:

FACTUAL ALLEGATIONS
I. TRUMP RAPES CARROLL AT BERGDORF GOODMAN
18. One evening between the fall of 1995 and the spring of 1996, Carroll left work and went to Bergdorf Goodman, the luxury department store on Fifth Avenue in New York City.

And the Carroll legal team obviously feels that, regarding the actual time of the alleged one specific incident, they need to be no more specific than the above..

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pink Mist said:

How about the Harvey Weinstein cases where he is still being prosecuted for assaults many decades ago. Rape is not a victimless crime, and causes its victims duress and other issues such as feeling ashamed and not wanting others to know about it. As the plaintiff here, Ms. Carroll, has said it took a change in her life for her to come forward. It happens all of the time. Nothing political about it in my view.

The timing of the court case is certainly political.

But what I don't understand, if Trump is such a loser, why are his political opponents so clearly frightened of him?

I mean, if I were running for president, I'd want the weakest possible opponent to fight the election against.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The timing of the court case is certainly political.

But what I don't understand, if Trump is such a loser, why are his political opponents so clearly frightened of him?

I mean, if I were running for president, I'd want the weakest possible opponent to fight the election against.

Another baseless assumption. The timing has certainly a lot to do with the fact that the Adult Survivors Act was passed in 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, candide said:

Another baseless assumption. The timing has certainly a lot to do with the fact that the Adult Survivors Act was passed in 2022.

To give context to what you have written here is a link explaining the Adult Survivors Act.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_Survivors_Act

The Adult Survivors Act (ASA) is a New York State law enacted in May 2022 which amends the state's statute of limitations to allow alleged victims of sexual offenses such as sexual assault and unwanted sexual contact in the workplace to file civil suits between November 24, 2022, and November 24, 2023.[1]

• Like 1

Trump to cut Ireland trip short and return to New York to ‘confront’ E Jean Carroll

(one hour ago)

Donald Trump has claimed he is cutting short his trip to Ireland to “confront” E Jean Carroll after his defence team suffered a series of setbacks at his civil rape and defamation trial in New York.

Speaking to reporters while golfing at his Doonbeg resort on Thursday, Mr Trump said he would “probably attend” the trial, which is hearing its final day of evidence before closing arguments next week.

“I was falsely accused by this woman, I have no idea who she is – it’s ridiculous,” he said.

“I’ll be going back early because a woman made a claim that is totally false, it’s fake.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-ireland-carroll-rape-trial-b2332491.html

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

So Mr. Trump, being denied the opportunity if not the right to offer an alibi defense by no exact date of the alleged offense being giving, is OK by some of the Members on here?

Trump was not denied the opportunity to testify. His attorneys declined to put him on the stand. That said, the judge indicated that he would be willing to consider allowing Trump to testify despite the lateness of the hour. But if Trump's deposition is anything to go by, I doubt his attorneys would actually want to put him on the stand. Unless they believe that their case has gone so badly that they feel they have nothing to lose. Just my speculation.