Thai woman trapped in Dubai seeking 100k ransom, desperate parents plead for help

webfact

image.jpeg

A Thai mother is pleading with authorities to help her 38 year old daughter, Kornkamon, who is being held captive in Dubai and forced to work to repay a debt. The daughter had travelled to Dubai to work since mid-April; however, her captors now demand a ransom of 100,000 baht.

The tearful parent, 59 year old Pranuan, informed police in Udon Thani province of Kornkamon’s predicament. Kornkamon, also known as ‘Koy,’ initially went to Dubai to work as a massage therapist due to poverty and to repay her significant debts.

Two weeks ago, Koy contacted a foreign friend, Robert, requesting help in escaping from Dubai as she was being held against her will. She had almost paid her debt off, but her captors informed her that she still owed 100,000 baht. However, Koy refused to work further and was subsequently locked up with several other women. Robert advised Pranuan to file a report and seek assistance.

by Tara Abhasakun

Photo by Khaosod.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/thai-woman-trapped-in-dubai-seeking-100k-ransom-desperate-parents-plead-for-help

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Talk to the embassy.

Although I presume the Embassy is in Abu Dhabi... maybe a consulate in Dubai. They might get the local police involved on her behalf. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

if she's 38 she is only a masseuse,  nothing else involved.    sorry lovey '    you'll have to wait in line .....    there's a bar girl stuck in China wanting cash,   so you may have a long wait .

Both wanting 100,000. Seems to be the number of the day.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Talk to the embassy.

I doubt that she, as effectively an enslaved person, has any means to talk to the embassy. I further doubt if her family in Thailand have the first idea how to contact the embassy - or enough influence to get the Thai government moving.

In the UK certainly, the fight would be taken up by the victims MP. Maybe with the emergence of a new style in politics here...

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Perhaps it's best if Thai girls don't go to work as 'massage therapists' in the Middle East. Think carefully before you go there.

Yes. Her story is hardly unique. But so many Thais live in their own little bubble and have no idea what goes on outside of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Personally I think it is something that demands the attention of the International community.

After the international community resolves that little problem going on in Burma.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Enzian said:

After the international community resolves that little problem going on in Burma.

Yes, there are many problems which cry out for international attention. Burma is certainly one.

You have to start somewhere. The Gulf States are perhaps more vulnerable to international ( Western) pressure.

If a foreign national is being held for ransom in the UAE then how about contacting the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs for guidance? I do believe there is a Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi as well?  If both agencies do nothing (this is probably more true than not)  then at least one could state we have exhausted all options and need others to assist.  

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I've known a handful of Thai women over the years drawn to working in shady massage scenarios overseas that they seem totally oblivious too.

Even trying to explain stories like this to them doesn't seem to deter them.

If you're going to go and work in some place renowned for disrespecting women as a pretty little Thai women for some agent you barely know anything about then you're asking for trouble.

Jeez, and it’s probably also their own fault when women wearing short skirts and tight shirts get raped? Nice piece of victim blaming. 
But then again, I’ve noticed that quite a few members of this forum are a little empathy-impaired, to say the least.

Edited by rudi49jr
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The Thai embassy used to pay for their citizens to get back to Thailand not sure if that's still the case,

Not if yesterdays gofundme was correct.  Thai lady in Shanghai was sent by consulate there to Thai embassy in Beijing, and is being told she needs 100k baht to pay for repatriation.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Although I presume the Embassy is in Abu Dhabi... maybe a consulate in Dubai. They might get the local police involved on her behalf. 

I was asked to help a family girl in similar circumstances last February as I was on holiday in Dubai at the time. She had got herself to the Consulate, who sorted accommodation for her, and I lent her Bht 40,000 for a flight back here, which the Consulate arranged.

Before you ask, YES I did get the money back from her mother next day.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes. Her story is hardly unique. But so many Thais live in their own little bubble and have no idea what goes on outside of it.

It should also be noted that each year 1000s of thai girls seek to get a massage job in the middle east, knowing full well what is expected of them.

The prospect of free room and board, with a relatively high salary (and the potential 'tips') is tempting to the girls, and also to their families....

These entrapment stories with dodgy pimps adding debts, and taking their passports are pretty rare.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Jeez, and it’s probably also their own fault when women wearing short skirts and tight shirts get raped? Nice piece of victim blaming. 
But then again, I’ve noticed that quite a few members of this forum are a little empathy-impaired, to say the least.

Let's not confuse caution with victim blaming. It's like saying short skirts cause assault – not the same thing. I believe in empathy, but also in raising awareness about the risks.

• Like 1