Recording emerges of Donald Trump saying he is holding classified documents after leaving office

Social Media

image.png

A recording of Donald Trump saying he is holding secret documents he didn't declassify while he was president has emerged.

The tape was made at the former US president's Bedminster, New Jersey, golf club in July 2021 and seems to indicate he knew of the proper declassification procedures but did not follow them.

First obtained by CNN, the recording offers new insight into a conversation that is cited in special counsel Jack Smith's indictment against Mr Trump over the mishandling of classified documents.

The two-minute recording suggests the Republican nominee frontrunner was holding classified information about the Pentagon's plans to attack Iran.

The recording begins with Mr Trump saying, "these are bad sick people," while a staffer pointed out General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

FULL STORY

image.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I wonder who leaked that and why?

If its a crime, it is your duty to report it! Not so complicated, and if you are or have been part of his administration, you can be prosecuted for not. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If its a crime, it is your duty to report it! Not so complicated, and if you are or have been part of his administration, you can be prosecuted for not. 

I wasn’t referring to the recording being given to the FBI, rather it also being given to the press.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I wasn’t referring to the recording being given to the FBI, rather it also being given to the press.

Maybe it was an intentional leak in order to play to the court of public opinion and encourage the Donald to seek an out of court Plea deal.  It looks really bad for him from a former LEO's perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe it was an intentional leak in order to play to the court of public opinion and encourage the Donald to seek an out of court Plea deal.  It looks really bad for him from a former LEO's perspective.

Maybe.

Maybe it’s an intentional leak to try to get ahead of bad news by spinning it as an exoneration.

• Thumbs Up 1

Besides the obvious shock disgust and anger of this so called ex president endangering our country and our allies was the ease in witch the staffer seemed to manipulate trump.it was shocking imagine the ease of someone he admires would have manipulating him that’s scary!(putin helinsky)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Opinion
Trying Trump under the Espionage Act will be trickier than you think

The charges in the indictment against Donald Trump might seem simple: Trump finished his term as president, became an ordinary citizen, yet retained 31 classified documents that, under the Espionage Act, he should have returned to the government upon demand.

Trump’s defense attorneys will probably comb the internet to demonstrate that the information in the classified documents was public and therefore could not have harmed national security. The amount of material out there is remarkable, and based on my experience, it would not be unusual to find that much of the information in the 31 retained documents — especially the older ones — is already publicly available.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/06/21/trump-prosecution-espionage-act-tricky/

https://archive.is/UJhXJ

NB as per Twitter: “retweets do not imply endorsement.”

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So Nuclear capabilities is common knowledge now, as well as all locations of said weapons.  I don't think so.

No problem. Letters<at>washingtonpost.com to reply to the former US Prosecutor experienced in Espionage Act cases.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Confused 1

I do wish people would not throw around the word traitor so frequently when they really mean "someone I don't like."

The Constitution* is very clear on what constitutes treason and involves aiding an enemy the U.S. is at war with. The U.S. is not at war with any country at present. However, there are many countries that the U.S. "dislikes".

*Article III, Section 3, Clause 1: Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1