Bar Menu’s

JimTripper

in quite a few bars I often see a blackboard with the menu chalked up. That way it's easy to change prices or add or erase something as necessary. But not talking about Pattaya.

Edited by phetphet
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is this Jim Tripper answering his own OP?

Nah man, I posted a picture of a bar menu that I edited off the bars name, but when posted it showed the original with the bars name, and didn't know if that was against the rules so I deleted it. 

• Love It 1

Ask them for "Singha Light". New staff will have no idea what you ask for.

Then wait for 15 seconds and tell them "My Beer". 

(Don't ask for Singha Gold", this was the original name 30 yrs ago)

Edited by Mentors65

The last time I was in Sin City, I was having a drink in a Nana Plaza bar (purely out of idle curiosity, you understand) which offered me the most extensive bar menu you could imagine.
Beers, spirits, liqueurs, cocktails, soft drinks. All clearly priced. They even listed the price of a Lady Drink and a BJ (whatever that was? ????)
As the BJ was priced at a modest 250 baht , I was tempted to try one but my fellow drinking companion that night, an Anglican vicar, who seemed a lot more acquainted than I with these matters, dissuaded me from ordering one.
  Next time, perhaps.

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2023 at 12:44 AM, JimTripper said:

Why do the bars not offer a menu when I go in?

I sit down and a lady comes promptly but there is no way of me knowing which kind of beer they have, if they offer mixed drinks, and what the prices are.

I understand your problem.

I always end up asking the ladies if they do/like this position or maybe that. And how much they charge. And if one of them gives me an answer that doesn't mean another one would provide these services at those prices. A menu, maybe with pictures, would be a great idea. ???? 

• Haha 2

On 7/27/2023 at 1:52 AM, flyingtlger said:

Just ask for your favorite beer or stick with the Thai brands.

As far as food is concerned, look around and see what others are eating. If they don't have a menu, point to something you see and like and order it.

Or, Thailand could do what other restaurants in the world do and offer a food and drinks menu. It isn't that hard. Not doing so is just another example of Thais making what should be a simple task difficult. Customers really do need to know what is on offer, rather than asking for their favourite beer (which you don't know if they have because there is no menu) and without looking around the place to see what others are eating and hope that represents everything on offer. 

On 7/27/2023 at 7:04 AM, champers said:

Be sure to ask to see their range of craft beers.

Yep ????‍♂️

Op does not just want to see a menu, he wants to find something on the menu worth ordering.

Edited by JimTripper

Speaking of menus ...

Harga's House of Ribs is an eatery in Ankh-Morpork run by Sham Harga.

Death worked there as a cook for a while.

To see what's on the menu, all you need to do is look at Harga's vest.

The most popular dish is "All-You-Can-Gobble-For-A-Dollar".

(c) Terry Pratchett, Discworld! 

QED!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Or, Thailand could do what other restaurants in the world do and offer a food and drinks menu. It isn't that hard. Not doing so is just another example of Thais making what should be a simple task difficult. Customers really do need to know what is on offer, rather than asking for their favourite beer (which you don't know if they have because there is no menu) and without looking around the place to see what others are eating and hope that represents everything on offer. 

OP was talking about bars. I can't remember ever being offered a menu at a pub in the UK

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2023 at 12:44 AM, JimTripper said:

Why do the bars not offer a menu when I go in?

I sit down and a lady comes promptly but there is no way of me knowing which kind of beer they have, if they offer mixed drinks, and what the prices are.

When I ask there is always a confused discussion with a language barrier.

Do they do this to get people to just order without thinking about it? It’s odd because every restaurant always has the menu right there when I go in.

This is very simple. You start ask why bars do not offer a menu. You end with, that it´s odd because every restaurant you go to offer one.

I leave you think about the rest. Hint: Is restaurant same as bars?

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Speaking of menus ...

Harga's House of Ribs is an eatery in Ankh-Morpork run by Sham Harga.

Death worked there as a cook for a while.

To see what's on the menu, all you need to do is look at Harga's vest.

The most popular dish is "All-You-Can-Gobble-For-A-Dollar".

(c) Terry Pratchett, Discworld! 

QED!

I'd forgotten that. Thanks Crossy

24 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

OP was talking about bars. I can't remember ever being offered a menu at a pub in the UK

I was thinking that. There is a big difference between walking into a Restaurant that also serves beer and a Bar that also does food.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Screenshot_20230727-152631_Google.jpg

These are the cheapest rates I've seen so far!  Where is this bar?

Im not sure, but at least they have a menu. I would be comfortable walking right in and ordering a whiskey without having to do an interview on everything they have first.

Could be a solution! Find bars that have posted prices instead of expecting them to offer a menu after I go in and sit down. It could work.

On 7/27/2023 at 3:27 AM, Ralf001 said:

Because so many of these bars offer 4 flavours of beer.

Chang.

Leo.

Singha.

San Mig Light.

If one needs a drinks menu to make their selection from those.................. well I'll leave it there cause anything further I say will have the mods put me on a holiday.

They have more choice than that. Chang big or Chang small. Leo big or leo small so on, so on.

• Haha 2