Climate change: July set to be world's warmest month on record

Social Media

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Also from NASA

"the warming we’ve seen in recent decades is too rapid to be linked to changes in Earth’s orbit and too large to be caused by solar activity."

That says what they don't believe it to be caused by solar activity.  That doesn't say it is definitively proven to be caused by carbon emmissions.  In 1800 there were 1 billion people on earth.  There are now 8 billion.  So is it carbon emmissions.  

The fact that the CO2 emmissions are the highest, and temperatures are rising is a CORRELATION.  

The number of Pizza's consumed in the world is the highest in 2 million years to.  Does that prove that pizza consumption caused global warming.  No. 

Again, the earth has wamed and then gone through glacial periods for millions of years.  You ignore the fact that warming and cooling as EVIDENCED is a natural phenomena.  If and I repeat if the earth reverses and begins to cool towards a glacial period would you then equally suggest it is carbon emmission that caused the cooling? 

5 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

That says what they don't believe it to be caused by solar activity.  That doesn't say it is definitively proven to be caused by carbon emmissions.  In 1800 there were 1 billion people on earth.  There are now 8 billion.  So is it carbon emmissions.  

The fact that the CO2 emmissions are the highest, and temperatures are rising is a CORRELATION.  

The number of Pizza's consumed in the world is the highest in 2 million years to.  Does that prove that pizza consumption caused global warming.  No. 

Again, the earth has wamed and then gone through glacial periods for millions of years.  You ignore the fact that warming and cooling as EVIDENCED is a natural phenomena.  If and I repeat if the earth reverses and begins to cool towards a glacial period would you then equally suggest it is carbon emmission that caused the cooling? 

I guess you need to read the Physical Science:

Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg1/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

You need to stop offering counterfactual suppositions of some kind of relevant argument.

Edited by placeholder
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Longwood50 said:

And where exactly do you get your evidence that it is causal?  

Your simplistic association of climate change to C02 emmisions first off assumes the change to be abnormal.  The earths temperature has had wide swings for millions of years from ice ages to interglacial periods. 

Second, other factors "may" influence the earths temperture.  We know that volcanos spewing ash shade the earth shading the earth.  So is it conceivable that the amount of volcanic ash in the atmosphere is also low at this point causing the temperature of the earth to rise as more sun peneatrate it. 

You have this single notion that there is one cause for global warming and first off assume that the phenomena is something more than the normal cooling and heating of the earth over many years.  Secondly, you assume that C02 is the cause of it.  You point to the last 200 years and the fact of industrial revolution.   Well we also didn't have solar panels, rubber bands, safety pens, flush toilets, and ball point pens 200 years ago.  Using your logic, perhaps it is the introduction of those that is causing weather change. 

You dismiss the idea that a changing climate is normal and ignore the fact that the climate of the earth has changed for millions of years.  You dismiss any idea that other factors or a combination of factors might influence temperature changes.  

Volcanic eruptions spew tons of particulate into the atomosphere impacting climate.  So this simplistic view that only humans and carbon emisions are the primary causitive is just that naive. 

The following things are true.  The earths temperature is slightly warmer. What we don't know is whether that is abnormal, what if anything is causing that, and most importantly what could possibly to mitigate it. 

I suggest this move to electrify everything has substantial adverse enviornmental outcomes as well.  The mining of lithium is extremely impactful.  The construction of power plants to supply the required energy, string the millions of miles of electric lines is not without its negative impact. 

Also, there is this notion that the warming of the earth is destructive.  Perhaps, but it could also prove beneficial as areas once to cold to grow crops become now able to support crop growth.  The warmer temperature decreases the need to burn oil, coal, natural gas to heat homes from much colder temperatures. 

Do I know any of this to be true.  No.  And neither do you.  It is a mere supposition that the earths warming is unatutural, that is is bad, hydrocarbons are to blame, and that something can be done about it even if true. 

This also peaked in 2023. 
image.png.430611f63e36c9dcc76d6cec623f879c.png

image.png.2418be2981f06b1d4ecd884d7921f044.png

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/14/world/solar-maximum-activity-2024-scn/index.html

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/solar-events-news/Does-the-Solar-Cycle-Affect-Earths-Climate.html

More false analogies and irrelevant clutter.  I didn't say that CO2 is the only thing that causes climate change, I said that climate scientists agree that it is the driving cause of climate change now.

There isn't just a correlation between CO2 levels and rising temperatures, there is causation.  CO2 is a known greenhouse gas and CO2 levels have gone up 50% since the beginning of the industrial revolution.  When you have a known cause and effect relationship the results are not correlation, they are causation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

More false analogies and irrelevant clutter.  I didn't say that CO2 is the only thing that causes climate change, I said that climate scientists agree that it is the driving cause of climate change now.

There isn't just a correlation between CO2 levels and rising temperatures, there is causation.  CO2 is a known greenhouse gas and CO2 levels have gone up 50% since the beginning of the industrial revolution.  When you have a known cause and effect relationship the results are not correlation, they are causation.

They're drowning in De Nile.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Please stop trolling you KNOW that links to this evidence have been posted here many times.

I do not KNOW any such thing. Neither of the links provided supported the phony claim, but thanks for the baseless attack. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

I do not KNOW any such thing. Neither of the links provided supported the phony claim, but thanks for the baseless attack. 

Then why are you here. You don't know the basics of the topic and you have just admitted you don't read links.

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

So the IPCC are making phony claims. Can you provide a link to that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So the IPCC are making phony claims. Can you provide a link to that?

You have not provided any link showing the IPCC claimed that :...current CO2 levels are the highest in 2 million years."

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you have anything that supports this claim? 

I typed this into google:

"CO2 levels are at their highest in 2 million years"

And voila!

Carbon Dioxide Higher Today Than Last 2.1 Million Years

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090618143950.htm

I also found this:

Carbon dioxide levels are now higher than at anytime in the past 3.6 million years

https://research.noaa.gov/2021/04/07/despite-pandemic-shutdowns-carbon-dioxide-and-methane-surged-in-2020/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

He's wrong. It was 3 million years

Carbon dioxide levels today are higher than at any point in human history. In fact, the last time atmospheric carbon dioxide amounts were this high was more than 3 million years ago, during the Mid-Pliocene Warm Period

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-atmospheric-carbon-dioxide

btw: that search took me less than a minute.

How did they measure it three million years ago? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

One "expert" we are all supposed to bet our lives on say the highest is two million years, and the other "expert" we are supposed to bet our lives on says three million years.

Editing to add a third expert we are supposed to bet our lives on says 3.6 million years.

Is that just a rounding error or what? 

Edited by Yellowtail
comic relief

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

They did not. 

Oh not only trolling but also dishonest, ok

"air bubbles trapped in mile-thick ice cores and other paleoclimate evidence"

"shells of single-celled plankton buried under the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Africa. By dating the shells and measuring their ratio of boron isotopes"

• Like 1

All this climate hysteria is nonsense. The earth' climate including carbon dioxide has been changing for millions of years. There are natural sources of atmospheric carbon dioxide, such as outgassing from the ocean, decomposing vegetation and other biomass, venting volcanoes, naturally occurring wildfires, and even belches from ruminant animals. These natural sources of carbon dioxide are offset by “sinks”—things like photosynthesis by plants on land and in the ocean, direct absorption into the ocean, and the creation of soil and peat. The sample size taken by scientists to proselytize their "Climate Change" hysteria is too small to validate any observations of the millions of years of data.

An interesting book, "Determining Sample Size and Power in Research Studies" will point out the importance of sample size for desired accuracy in estimation and in hypothesis testing experiments for a desired effect size.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Oh not only trolling but also dishonest, ok

"air bubbles trapped in mile-thick ice cores and other paleoclimate evidence"

"shells of single-celled plankton buried under the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Africa. By dating the shells and measuring their ratio of boron isotopes"

I do not think that came from your link, (I just checked again)  yet you accuse me of dishonesty, typical. 

I have a home in Texas, although I am not there I control it remotely. Temps there have been 100+ yesterday 106. Just for grins I set the thermostat during the hot part of the day to 78 degrees and it never got below 80. At 100-102 I have no problems what so ever. It's fringing hot...

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I do not think that came from your link, (I just checked again)  yet you accuse me of dishonesty, typical. 

Yes actually I said trolling and dishonest.

Who claimed that both those quotes came from the same link. One of the links I posted contained this one.

analyzing the shells of single-celled plankton buried under the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Africa. By dating the shells and measuring their ratio of boron isotopes,

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090618143950.htm

A separate link already posted by another poster contains this

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-atmospheric-carbon-dioxide

& here's another example of your dishonesty. You previously claimed that my IPCC quote was also false:

A.2.1 In 2019, atmospheric CO2 concentrations were higher than at any time in at least 2 million years

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg1/downloads/report/IPCC_AR6_WGI_SPM_final.pdf

Edited by Bkk Brian

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

One "expert" we are all supposed to bet our lives on say the highest is two million years, and the other "expert" we are supposed to bet our lives on says three million years.

Editing to add a third expert we are supposed to bet our lives on says 3.6 million years.

Is that just a rounding error or what? 

More nonsense from you. The 3.6 million year study was done recently the 2.1 million year study was from a while ago. They were looking at different samples.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1