Opinion Editorial: No, It Isn’t Time to Worry About RETIREMENT VISA Changes….Yet

webfact

14 minutes ago, Robin said:

Careful about asking for a 'Criminal Record Check'  as my experience of this (in UK) is that you have to apply in person at your local police station and not that quick or easy.   If this was required for every extension (yearly?) how many of us retires would want to go back to home country every year?

Are we sure hat every M/c gang member has a criminal record?

AS ever it would be far easier for criminals to get round this that ordinary citizens.

Incidentially you ca download the form, email it, pay the fee and they send it back internationally. Takes about 2-3 weeks in my experience. There is no need to attend in person UK side. But good luck if you have for example resided in Hong Kong and need one from there also. You must go get fingerprinted at Bangkok police HQ so you can send the application to Hong Kong. A complete nightmare.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gknrd said:

One year extension on old rules then your next extension will have to comply or out you go. My guess is the agents will have to be pretty well tied into immigration to help, and the fees will double or triple.

I think he indirectly hinted LTR type retirement visa. And if it is mandated to get it from home countries, many will say goodbye to Thailand. Then I will realize that my 20-year elite visa was a winner. 

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

1. Those that retained 800k in an account year round were not affected in the slightest

all right all right, if you want to be over pedantic, but few kept 800k all year previous to that - i didn't, but now do. I used to draw down the 800k but had to make a one time addition of 400k.

I think the above is likely what most did.

I would have thought it was self evident that those using an agent didn't have to.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But I can't for the life of me understand what's the real motivation to basically punish the expats that have been qualifying following all the rules to the letter.

Make things so difficult they opt into "the system". That's how it works here.

Edited by mokwit

Now is certainly the time to assess your own position should the financial requirements change for the worst, that's just sensible planning.  My opinion, based on not a lot of hard evidence, bar history over the past 20 years,  is that it is almost inevitable that the banking requirements will be increased at some point and, maybe changed so that the monthly amounts no longer count. History shows that Grandfather rights have been applied previously, but who knows this time. I think that people who use not quite legit agents should at least note a recent report ( reported by Integrity Legal on U Tube)  that retrospective checks on bank accounts may be enforced in some cases to check past compliance.  Its certainly in Big Jokes Play Book. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah that's a very old conspiracy theory and I find it hard to believe it. 

At it's best it can mean we will do what we can with the resources available, or you can get a special effort from us if you make us happy.

CW is so hassle free that there is no real reason to use an agent, other offices I hear are so difficult that people do as with an agent things suddenly aren't an issue anymore.

As for conspiracy theory: The first one year extension for work required me to make multiple visits to Immigration in person. The HR people told me they are making it difficult so that we pay to expediate things, but we know you tick all the boxes and they can't ultimately refuse, so we are doing it this way rather than pay.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Scottie12 said:

Big Joke is the guy who put the kybosh on pension confirmation letters from your Consulate, he doesn't give a damn about pensioners,decent or otherwise.

Yeah maybe he wants to shake masses of us out?

5 minutes ago, Scottie12 said:

Big Joke is the guy who put the kybosh on pension confirmation letters from your Consulate, he doesn't give a damn about pensioners,decent or otherwise.

Maybe a retired falangie ran off with his wife. ????

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Scottie12 said:

Must be lots of countries dont speak kybosh then!! 

• Confused 2