Old age and dying

ArnieP

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

True Night mare, being  sick and dying alone in Thailand! 

When I was in my late 20s I found myself living in one room in a large house in London. Actually it was fine, with a partition built to house a kitchen, and I had a gas fire which was good to keep on during cold winter nights. It was cosy.

But also living in the house was a man who was probably in his late 60s/early 70s, and I found that rather sad. I vowed then never to be in his situation, old and alone and living in one room. He was my inspiration to better my situation, and I did. Very much so..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, VBF said:

According to the Playwright John Mortimer "There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward."

Billy Connolly had a bit something like this, about eating brown bread supposedly helps you to live longer.  That was before that mess happened to him, poor bustard.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

Just turned 77 and, playing off of that fave tv series 77 Sunset Strip, it is looking a bit like now heading down sunset strip. Perish the thought, after so many years of questioning whether I might be immortal after all said and done.  Fortune to of inherited good and long good health, life has been a rich gambit for me beyond any dreams or expectations, fortunate to appreciate much that it has to offer, and I suspect I'll continue to find life's little pleasures in the day to day and the various ways one has to entertain oneself even in limited situations.  Keep a good attitude, forgo self pity, look for the silver linings and do not go silently into that dark night.  Take the good with the bad going forward and knock on wood.

I like it.

In summary:

Live until you die.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The meaning of life is to compile a wardrobe of clothes that never need ironing.

Then my mom taught it to me decades ago! Never had that ironing problem. Guess I can croak fulfilled????

• Haha 1

We had a rocker here and he lived that life, also stating at 50 he would end it.

Delayed some, but at 55 he did end it, by jumping of hotel.

It is a choice.

Now im getting older and reflecting back, thinking sometimes what the hell im doing here.

It goes something like this

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

We had a rocker here and he lived that life, also stating at 50 he would end it.

Delayed some, but at 55 he did end it, by jumping of hotel.

It is a choice.

Now im getting older and reflecting back, thinking sometimes what the hell im doing here.

It goes something like this

if you want to die, do not jump off anything, it is messy, it involves alot more people than just you, you might physically hurt someone or kill someone, and it is egoistic. 

jumping off something is most likely on an impulse after been thinking of it for a long time, 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

I always find it fascinating how people 60 or older are are worried about death. I am 39 and I am not worried at all. Is life that great ? Not really. Is the human condition that great ? I didn't think so. Not at all actually. 

I am doing ok financially for my age but even then, I still have many years to work. Im not particularly looking forward to it. If the plane I was flying in started to crash, I would be indifferent. It is all a meaningless exercise anyway. 

What are you worried about missing ?  I really dont understand what motivates , people. I know older ppl with weight problems, income problems and stuff. Yet they are worried about dying and happy to be alive. I respect it in a way. But I just don't understand it. Why not just be indifferent or almost look forward to your retirement ? The real retirement ? The real rest. 

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion.

I use God's services more and more each year to deal with these types of complex questions.  Having an all knowing, omnipotent advisor to discuss complex topics helps me.  Otherwise the burden might be too great to bear.

As each endeavor bears fruit I continue down the path with confidence.

• Confused 1

On 8/23/2023 at 4:13 AM, Harsh Jones said:

I always find it fascinating how people 60 or older are are worried about death. I am 39 and I am not worried at all. Is life that great ? Not really. Is the human condition that great ? I didn't think so. Not at all actually. 

I am doing ok financially for my age but even then, I still have many years to work. Im not particularly looking forward to it. If the plane I was flying in started to crash, I would be indifferent. It is all a meaningless exercise anyway. 

What are you worried about missing ?  I really dont understand what motivates , people. I know older ppl with weight problems, income problems and stuff. Yet they are worried about dying and happy to be alive. I respect it in a way. But I just don't understand it. Why not just be indifferent or almost look forward to your retirement ? The real retirement ? The real rest. 

Thats correct, you are 39 at a whole other place and thoughts in time. I didnt think about dead at all at that time, same as you.

Now shifting over 60, you could be more aware, you have about 20 years to go and live goes fast. You see your parents pass away, other older people. The older you get, the faster time seems to go. I just dont think about it too much, you have to go some time.

My mother was happy to die at 83. Palliative. At least if I understood her reaction right. You never know what is really in a persons mind, but there were health issues. Though you see and think, what? However could respect her for the decision. Only little weird thing was, from trying to heal to death in short time.

My father(67), also palliative, was another story. but his thoughts brought him to drink more and more, which finally brought him in hospital for dying.

They were living in another time. My father was quite skinny (mom told me) had to do with TBC. Asked doctor, how can I put on some weight on him. Docs advise, eggs with brandy, so there the start of alcohol to love it.

And in those times, you could even easily drink at work ! Was quite normal. So my father did. 

And in later time, the alcohol had to wipe out the demons. You conclude later on that.

And sometimes people have enough of live and sure not afraid to die in short time.

Had a college(in 50), had divorce and problems in work at the same time. So he decided to commit suicide.

I never thought he would do so, as he looked very  balanced to me. ok, when the brain pops, it changes.

Your thoughts, behavior are all affected on your experiences and live in time. It brings other points of view when aging.

Afraid of dead? More worried about the way, I hope on a drop dead hearth attack.

If cancer pops or other bad decease, im not sure, maybe I finish myself then.

Reincarnation, heaven , hell, I dont know, will see then.

However there are people worrying (afraid) about that due to all those stories.

If i would reincarnate, I want to be a volcano.

I can smoke all day and people would say: "look, he works"

I often am amazed when I meet people my age or older than 75 and they are worried about mundane and unimportant things .

I met a guy in my workplace who is 76yo very nasty man who was going to dob in another co worker for leaving work early.

I asked him why considering he only has about 6 years left on earth ...why be concerned about what others do 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/22/2023 at 7:10 PM, Jelli said:

I'm 60+ and I'd like 30 more years of good health. After that I'm okay with tipping my hat and showing myself out.

If even in a very modest yet secure, comfortable little place. Enough to eat. Bills paid. Seen everything, done everything - wife as well.

I'm absolutely fascinated at the shi+storm that's going to be hitting the world in the next 25 years. I'd love to watch it from a virtual bunker.

YES! We've got a front row seat the Global Armageddon and NOTHING is going to save us! 

2 hours ago, Furioso said:

YES! We've got a front row seat the Global Armageddon and NOTHING is going to save us! 

Well the older one gets, the less point there is in saving.......anything!

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 12:31 AM, bignok said:

Then you are wasting your life. Forget about dead people. Talk to the living.

The concept of "wasting your life" is absurd. It doesn't matter how well you've lived your life, or what you've achieved. When it's over it matters not one iota what you did with it. Your life's achievements might matter to the living, but not to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The concept of "wasting your life" is absurd. It doesn't matter how well you've lived your life, or what you've achieved. When it's over it matters not one iota what you did with it. Your life's achievements might matter to the living, but not to you.

So doing nothing is the go? Have a lousy life then.

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The only thing that matters, is to find a purpose to live for, or purposes! 

A man without a purpose, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

6 hours ago, Hummin said:

.... is like a fish without a bicycle.

Sorry...PURPOSE! ????

And this post is supposed to remind everyone not to take life seriously ????

6 hours ago, bignok said:

So doing nothing is the go? Have a lousy life then.

It doesn't matter what you do. It's all the same.

Most people occupy their lives with surviving. You start when you're young - get an education, get a job, try to raise a family...and when you're older - pay for medical bills to keep you alive just a bit longer. It's a struggle from start to finish.

It's the pretending that your life has purpose or struggling to give it more purpose that is absurd. What's the point? There's no score card you'll be carrying around once you've passed, unless you believe in reincarnation or eternal salvation.

As for you specifically - I would not consider endless, pointless posting on AN a purposeful existence. It shows that you're struggling to find something to do - also a total waste of time and no better than doing nothing.

7 hours ago, Hummin said:

Everyone has a purpose - to keep eating and breathing until they can't. Most people chose the wrong parents and are poor, and it's always a struggle. Other people were lucky enough to have time to contemplate purpose and pretend there is more to life.

Edited by JensenZ

On 8/22/2023 at 8:06 PM, Adumbration said:

Dying is rarely easy.

Most are actually unconscious at the time of death - there is a hierarchy of shutting down of the body and once the kidneys shut down urea levels rise and put you to sleep like barbiturates.

I agree the journey to that end stage might not be easy.

1 hour ago, VBF said:

.... is like a fish without a bicycle.

Sorry...PURPOSE! ????

And this post is supposed to remind everyone not to take life seriously ????

If you are serious enough, you can have more fun.

Dicipline is a good start ????

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It doesn't matter what you do. It's all the same.

Most people occupy their lives with surviving. You start when you're young - get an education, get a job, try to raise a family...and when you're older - pay for medical bills to keep you alive just a bit longer. It's a struggle from start to finish.

It's the pretending that your life has purpose or struggling to give it more purpose that is absurd. What's the point? There's no score card you'll be carrying around once you've passed, unless you believe in reincarnation or eternal salvation.

As for you specifically - I would not consider endless, pointless posting on AN a purposeful existence. It shows that you're struggling to find something to do - also a total waste of time and no better than doing nothing.

Buddy, ive spent 12 months travelling. Top fun.

What have you done?

Your post makes no sense. If life has no purpose why be unhappy like you?

Better to have fun.