Thailand just chose a prime minister. He’s not the one people voted for

webfact

45 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Really not useful in this discussion.

Thailand has nothing like an electoral college voting system. It's more akin to a "mixed member apportion-ment" system like Germany but with its own "nuances" aka "thainess" of rules that can benefit one political faction over others.

In Thailand's election system, a very minority party can become part of a majority coalition government.

Some US states pro rata their electoral college votes directly based on the popular vote. Other states use "winner (simple majority) takes all." In the latter landslide votes for a candidate have no electoral value.

My point was that simply getting the majority of the votes does not mean you win the election.

Noo mater what government it is the same you can lose the total vores adn still win the election.

It happens in Canada if you look at canada it happens there and yes Canada has a lot more parties then the U.S.

Two scenarios:

Thaksin was allowed back, and somehow gets out of jail free. "Elites" (who encouraged him to come back, and then let him go free) stir up the masses to protest against him, as they've done before, and before, and, again, before that.  Protest turns violent.

Thaksin was allowed back, and is really locked up.  Red shirts protest, which turns violent. 

Result of either case:

Army steps in to "cool things down" (again).  Take control of the country (again). 

The next few months will really show who played who.  I think the power hungry PTP and its true leader, walked right into the trap.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

and the Thai people are just going to accept this?

they are just going to roll over and have their tummies tickled?

you could not make this <deleted> up

Yep.

Yep.

....and Yep.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VBF said:

Theoretically (!!!) we Brits don't vote for PM either. We vote for the Party, who has in turn voted for and elected a leader who becomes PM

In practice, given an opportunity, people tend to vote for the Party whose leader they "like" the most.

However, that system has allowed us to have several PMs whom few members of the public would ever have wanted had there been an election with them as the leader. (Yes you, Liz Truss).

However anachronistic the House of Lords is, it does serve in some way to force "checks and balances" 

The House of Lords would work much better if PMs didn't just use it to reward friends. 

The Thai Senate might also work if it wasn't biased. 

It's often the people rather than the system that's the problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

A traitor to the people who voted for refom and the ousting of the military. The junta still have their snouts in the trough only now must share with PT.

Yep! Congratulations to the successful interlopers on the award of your 30 pieces of silver,

shortly to be dwarfed by the rewards for the snouts at the trough

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ironman1958 said:

A constitutional referendum was held in Thailand on 7 August 2016.

The charter offered only semi-democracy and was seen to tighten military rule in Thailand.

However, it was approved by 61% of voters with a 59% turnout.

“More of the same” is insured now.

This is what happens when you don’t pay attention

Indeed.

They typically get what they deserve in governance here. Anyone with half a brain can rob them blind while in a position of power and authority. 

It's changing, slowly, but it will be a long time before they do what is necessary to make the fundamental changes that are so evidently required. 

19 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

No it was a minority that voted against change hence the election result. The majority voted for change and won. It was a very, very, very, very miniscule minority (250 senators) that stopped what the people voted for. No system in the west has unelected senators that can do what was done here.

I'm aware of at least one system in the west bearing some degree of similarity where unelected electors get the final say on the candidate, though they normally follow the popular vote (unlike the senators in Thailand) ????

I also see only one party at below 40% somehow promising "change" (or another word: progressive politics) while another >60% chunk promised all kinds of handouts or salary increases etc. Not really a "change"? ????

29 minutes ago, kimamey said:

The House of Lords would work much better if PMs didn't just use it to reward friends. 

The Thai Senate might also work if it wasn't biased. 

It's often the people rather than the system that's the problem. 

And therein lies the rub.

Show me any system in any country that contains loopholes and someone is or will be exploiting it!

• Like 1

"On Monday, he told reporters it was “necessary," given the country’s protracted political deadlock, for people to move past the party’s earlier promises not to cooperate with military leaders."

Didn't the Who (And I don't mean the World Health Organisation!) hit the nail right on the head? :-

".....Then I'll get on my knees and pray. We don't get fooled again. Don't get fooled again. No, no. Yeah Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss ..."

I wonder if Pete Townshend would do lottery numbers if asked nicely?

For me this situation leaves open 2 questions:

1  What is the role of Prawit Wongsuwon now ? Does he still have any say in in this upcoming government?

2  When will the parties choose their ministers? Is there a time set already or is there a set timeline?

Edited by Dario

3 hours ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

In a parliamentary system like Thailand the people aka voters DO NOT choose the Prime Minister 

The elected members of parliament and the appointed senate vote for the Prime Minister from candidates put forth by the winning parties 

Yes, I agree you are correct. MFP had a slim margin of having a majority of ministers, but in no way was it "the one people voted for". They had a chance to form the government, but their candidate didn't have all his ducks in a row. That's what happens in these type governments.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Schnicnac said:

I'm aware of at least one system in the west bearing some degree of similarity where unelected electors get the final say on the candidate, though they normally follow the popular vote (unlike the senators in Thailand) ????

I also see only one party at below 40% somehow promising "change" (or another word: progressive politics) while another >60% chunk promised all kinds of handouts or salary increases etc. Not really a "change"? ????

PT voters wanted the military out. Be in no doubt about that. Thaksin: Coupt. Yingluck: Coup. (I was here for both). Now PT is in bed with the coup makers. Not what PT voters voted for.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

PT voters wanted the military out. Be in no doubt about that. Thaksin: Coupt. Yingluck: Coup. (I was here for both). Now PT is in bed with the coup makers. Not what PT voters voted for.

One thing is what they "think", another is what they announce and promise. Not the only country where it is common practice to scream and promise a lot before elections only to have a change of mind right after the vote and try get into power (and highly paid posts) by "making concessions".

Using the chance to side with the military to achieve premiership and Thaksin's return didn't harm here at all seeing the excited crowds today at Don Mueang ????

39 minutes ago, Schnicnac said:

One thing is what they "think", another is what they announce and promise. Not the only country where it is common practice to scream and promise a lot before elections only to have a change of mind right after the vote and try get into power (and highly paid posts) by "making concessions".

Using the chance to side with the military to achieve premiership and Thaksin's return didn't harm here at all seeing the excited crowds today at Don Mueang ????

We'll see at the next election. I would say MFP if it's still in existence will get the PT youth vote. More than what they got this time.

Edited by dinsdale

13 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

Thailand must have the BIGGEST "good ol boys club" on the planet. 

Shameful corruption 

TV/AN forum must have the BIGGEST group of whiners on the planet.  Nothing but shameful incessant whining about anything and everything.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

As a guest in your country and happy to be here, I wish you much success over the years to come.  I am from a sh*****le country called America and we are nowhere near you when it comes to protection of your borders, hard work, respect for elders and police offers who are experts are de-escalation and avoiding killing kids and adults for no reason.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

I hope this soap opera serve notice to the Thai people finally there is no such thing as democracy. That the constitution is basically a Coup in itself for those in charge to stay in charge personal I don't feel Pita was going to make any real difference he is or was a MP,  part of the disease that infected this country.

These leaders could save the money and month of noise and banner pollution everywhere having a meaningless election.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

As a guest in your country and happy to be here, I wish you much success over the years to come.  I am from a sh*****le country called America and we are nowhere near you when it comes to protection of your borders, hard work, respect for elders and police offers who are experts are de-escalation and avoiding killing kids and adults for no reason.

Well said

• Haha 1