Coffee Machine

raybarrell

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

For me Mokapot is nice enough for home, i go to coffee shops every day, it would be tough for a home machine and coffee to be as good as the best coffee shops

Agreed....   for coffee to be as good as a coffee shop it takes a good espresso machine.. 

I have a Mokapot in the UK, as there is no point in getting a full on machine for the time I spend there. 

The Breville's higlighted earlier in the thread are good enough to make high quality espresso...

the weak link of the Coffee shops is the quality of beans they use... When brewing at home we have a choice of our own beans and roast level, whereas the coffeeshop itself may chose based purely on economics...

IMO, the best coffee I've had is the one I make from my machine at home. 

I am of course bias, but I am also highly critical when I have a new bean and don't get the extraction right.

54 minutes ago, giddyup said:

As I only drink 2 cups a day maximum, what's the best instant coffee you've tried? At my advanced age it would be crazy to invest in an expensive machine, but may invest in a moka pot though.

Mokapot 300 baht Lazada.

Ground coffee Lazada 200 baht, can't go wrong, much better than instant

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats kind of like saying you prefer spy-wine cooler to a fine Brouilly...   or Regency to a Glenfiddich.. 

... a Toyota Altis to an S-Class Merc

...  thats fine..  everyone has their individual tastes.

Instant definitely serves its purpose..  I had Moccana Cappuccino the other day because there was nothing else on offer...  It wasn't bad, no complaints from me.... 

BUT.. its not like a well made coffees is just 5% better than instant...  its 50% better IMO... the difference is significant.

Just my opinion (I find the debate interesting), I just don't see that instant can compare at all. 

Yes, your answer was expected, but quite tame compared to many in these coffee threads.

Taste is a personal experience. You enjoy what you enjoy and it doesn't need to be taught. We don't need an education.  

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

You mean the coffee snobs?

LOL. I was going to use that term in my last reply, but resisted. I didn't want to excite the coffee connoisseurs and cop any more insults than necessary. I'm a cave man and enjoy instant coffee.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have very similar...   the one in the photo above is the Breville Barista Express...

I have the Breville Barista Pro, which is basically the same with a digitial display (its about 32,000 baht - goes by the name Sage in the UK).

Coffee I get from Coffee Culture Asia...

Once 'dialed in' and finessed with attention to your specific bean and roast type it makes some of the best coffee I've enjoyed... 

That said, the Op mentioned fully automatic....   These machines are not fully automatic, there is still a user 'input'... its not 'push a button and coffee comes out' and there's a reason people don't want that... 

The reason I wouldn't want a 100% fully automatic 'bean to cup' machine is because 'automatic'  doesn't quite get it right..  It doesn't grind to the perfect grind to flow water through 18gms of coffee to produce 36gms of coffee in 30 seconds (with a pre-infusion)....

Dialing in your bean with attention to detail does get this right... it takes a little time and attention to detail but after a while you learn what results certain beans and roast levels give you... 

If all that is just a bit too much faff and you're not really all that into it, then a Nespresso machine will do the trick. 

As per OMF - The James Hoffman videos are very informative....  

Of course, 3-in-1 drinkers will never understand the point of any of the above....  

I think it is time for a cup of tea!

• Love It 1

14 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I think it is time for a cup of tea!

PG Tips or Yorkshire Gold ??

Some people are well into their tea...   Its not something for me, but I understand that they may enjoy the brew so much that they take it to greater lengths to achieve something their tastes can better appreciate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

but may invest in a moka pot though.

If you do, get a stainless steel one.   If off LAX, don't get one with the electric heating element as an extra, it's crap, thought the Moka pot part is fine.

IMO the all in one coffee machines are overrated .

I have always had espresso boilers & grinders as separate units.   That way , as Richard has described , you can be in total control of your espresso.

I had Gaggia & Rocket machines back in Australia.

Here , I have invested ( a bit too heavily) in an ECM Twin boiler machine with a Eureka grinder.

Saeco & Delonghi all in ones were regarded as the best by many aficionados in Oz - still dear as poison!

IMG_8224.JPG

Edited by G Rex
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some people are well into their tea...   Its not something for me, but I understand that they may enjoy the brew so much that they take it to greater lengths to achieve something their tastes can better appreciate. 

Teas are far worse than coffee at staining teeth, Tetley was bad, Yorkshire probably the worse

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

There are some good instant.  But, part of the experience and enjoyment in the morning for me is the smell.  Freshly ground then brew starts the day right.

I bought a decent machine at Tesco works fine.

Yes I enjoyed my frothy freshly brewed morning coffee for many years..... even acquired the Saeco machine when I moved out of my rented house, as the landlord could not refund my deposit..... then it broke, and I discovered how much parts and a new one cost...... now a coffee is an enjoyment from one of the multitude of coffee shops when I am out shopping. 

I just took my Gaggia Synchrony fully auto to the auction yesterday. I prefer drip and have not used it for more than 2 years.

These machine retailed for about 35,00 Baht.

Auction is tomorrow. Contact me quickly with a good offer and I will pullit from the auction... or you can attend the Collingbourne auction and take your chances..

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Typhoo one cup .......... 100 bags for 100bht, and can use each bag 2x.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ty-phoo-100-teabags-i4388743130-s17480380520.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I have a Saeco machine at home, it goes good.image.png.972b258fc1becce92107e5a711bb96be.png

I had older Saeco for a short time, as someone gave it to me, from Hua Hin, a freebie, as it stopped working, and he didn't want deal with.  Older machine and damn heavy.   Did it all, grind/brew.  Not very well though.

The low water sensor was defective, so machine sensing low water, wouldn't function.  I rewired, a bit of soldering and bypassed the sensor, and it worked.

Didn't care for it, sold for 1000 baht ????,  think, maybe 2k.  Original said he paid like 50k for it.

image.png.1a3c456ceca2241e9974cc64030fc2ab.png

I've had many different machines at home but when I travel I drink Vietnamese G7 Instant coffee without sugar or cream.

I get it at Pattaya BigC and Food Market next to Jomtien buss station. Both don't have it always. They only have "3-in-one" junk....

https://trungnguyenlegend.com/g7/?lang=en

"Black Instant Coffee
Coffee Pure Soluble
Without sugar, high quality and rich flavor, delicious for true coffee connoisseurs."

PS. If I don't find it I make "Cowboy coffee" - any grind to hot water, wait for 3min and drink. No machines ????

Edited by GypsyT

10 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

PS. If I don't find it I make "Cowboy coffee" - any grind to hot water, wait for 3min and drink. No machines ????

As needs must, all better than not having any coffee in the morning.... This 'cowboy coffee' seems quite similar to Turkish coffee in that the 'fine grinds' remain unfiltered. 

Most grinders will not go fine enough, however, a roaster may be able to grind fine enough for you, as close to a powder as possible.

IMO, as the coffee being made is very strong its best to use an Arabica bean as this has less caffeine than a robusta.

Ideally in a cezve (small copper pot) bring a 1:6 coffee to water ratio to the boil (that ratio works for me, depends on the strength you want)... pour off the creamy-froth into your small cup, bring to the boil again and pour off the creamy-froth into your small cup again, repeating as necessary. 

You end up with a rich and earthy coffee, which may be slightly bitter - If you want to sweeten slightly, add sugar at the brewing stage not afterwards. Once finished there will be a sludge remaining in the bottom of your cup.

With the explosion of coffee shops in Thailand, I'm surprised there are not more Turkish Coffee shops around - Perhaps this is due to the 'starbucksification' of attitudes towards what a coffee-shop should be. 

Digressing slightly, cold-brew coffee is another method, but not one I can say I've tried much at all. 

A friend has a Saeco Automatic coffee machine which has a built-in grinder as well as a timer.  It has options for different coffee styles.  He purchased if for around B30,000, 20 years ago and has been using it daily since.  The only time he had it serviced was when he moved back to the US and had Saeco convert it to US current.  Expensive but it does it all and seems very durable.

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why is it snobbery if someone enjoys one thing over another such that they go to greater lengths to improve their experience ?

At last a topic almost everyone can agree on. Most if not all coffee drinkers know instant doesn't compare to fresh ground, and some coffees are much better than others, something most coffee drinkers will also agree on. I never drank coffee until it was around the year 2008, when my then wife, a coffee drinker, had me interested. I had a couple sips of iced coffee from my dad's glass when I was a kid, but not again until when my wife and i got married. I always thought it wasn't for me, until I started reading that coffee can actually help your health. I tried many different brands, and only had a Keurig after awhile, one cup at a time. It was okay, but I still  thought the fresh grounds I tried were better. After awhile, I was a regular at Starbucks and other coffee drive- throughs in Texas, having it every morning before work ,hunting or fishing. They're coffee is pretty good, especially if you try different blends. I always wanted to get a good coffee maker, and send for different beans, especially hearing that Vietnamese coffee is at the top. Still haven't tried it, but was thinking of visiting Vietnam next year so that will be on the menu. I also don't think it's snobbery to go to any length to have the best in food and drink. I'm not near wealthy, but I've drank wine that the rich do many, many times. For those inclined, I've had a 1953 Chateau Latour, 1960 Chateau Lafite, 1976 Bernkasteler Doktor Auslese, 1976 Chateau St. Jean Selected Bunch Late Harvest Riesling, and 1976 Chateau Margaux, just to name a few of the thousands of bottles I've shared with friends. Not a snob, just like the taste of good wine, just like coffee drinkers here, who can understand. Someday soon I will have that coffee maker. Doesn't need to be at the top. Just good enough to do what's needed, because the ingredients matter more.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

Either Coffee maker, French press or a coffee machine are all ok for me. Important are good  coffee beans. I never drink instant coffee, don't like. 

I'm a coffee addict, drinking 4 - 5 cups daily without milk or sugar. 

2 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

Either Coffee maker, French press or a coffee machine are all ok for me. Important are good  coffee beans. I never drink instant coffee, don't like. 

I'm a coffee addict, drinking 4 - 5 cups daily without milk or sugar. 

I'd rather have instant than nothing...  but if given choice, instant would come behind pretty much any other method of fresh coffee.

My first choice will always be the coffee I brew at home with my espresso machine, followed by...

Mokapot, French-Press or Turkish....  It all depends on where I am, what equipment I have with me, the time I have etc...  i.e. if Camping or travelling.. its the Mokapot or Piccpresso (hand held espresso kit)... But at home, always the Espresso Machine, it comes first by a long shot. 

As you mentioned, of greatest importance are the beans, but also of extreme importance (IMO) is the quality of the grind - If someone doesn't have a quality burr grinder at home, have the roaster grind the coffee for you (or at point of purchase, supermarket etc).

It could be argued that I too am a coffee addict - I limit myself to two cups per day (in the morning) and I really do enjoy those. I also really like my Whisky and Wine, but if left with a choice of only one I wouldn't do without, it would be coffee.