Simp Service

JimTripper

I’m finding service by Thais to bother me more lately. Especially restaurants with guy servers or just in general. They stand real close, too close, when your looking at the menu.

Or a lady with get up and stand real close to me when I’m shopping for clothes. I feel like I need to appease them rather then shop or order. Or that I need to hurry up so they can get back to whatever they were doing.

Where I’m from we call this simping. It’s repulsive, esp when guys do it.

Is it appropriate to shoo them away when I’m on their store territory, or better to just leave? How do other people handle this?

Another weird thing is they don’t seem to do it with Thais as much. They are just left alone to shop or order. Simp.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Tell them you are just looking and to leave you alone.

Google translate has it as: โปรดทิ้งฉันไว้คนเดียว ฉันแค่กำลังมองหา

I will just break out the phone. Still seems repulsive though that they do it. I wish they would just “move away” from me.

Edited by JimTripper

Ask them a contrived exacting technical question about one of the products. Keep generating questions till they leave you alone.

Generally their product knowledge never extends any further than 'hab promoshan' and pointing to whatever today's must sell items are.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You have issues. 

Then subsequently start a thread.

Just say "nick off" if it bothers you.

Grow some. 

It’s not a one off. It’s almost every store or eatery I go into.

Is this a big mystery to you? Please admit you are irritated by this and don’t pretend it never happens.

38 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Is this a big mystery to you? Please admit you are irritated by this and don’t pretend it never happens.

Don't tell the poster how he/she should think or what he/she should admit or agree with.

His/her personal attitude nothing more. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Been in Thailand for ten years.

Never had one issue.

On the contrary I feel embraced by the Thai folk I deal with them

From eateries to whatever.

From doing make overs on Condos to building home.

Also eateries etc.

Perhaps look at yourself. 

If you want service which is typical in the US etc., then go back to the US (or wherever) to live. Don't try to apply the attitudes and behaviors of another country/society of Thai folks. 

7 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I’m finding service by Thais to bother me more lately. Especially restaurants with guy servers or just in general. They stand real close, too close, when your looking at the menu.

Or a lady with get up and stand real close to me when I’m shopping for clothes. I feel like I need to appease them rather then shop or order. Or that I need to hurry up so they can get back to whatever they were doing.

Where I’m from we call this simping. It’s repulsive, esp when guys do it.

Is it appropriate to shoo them away when I’m on their store territory, or better to just leave? How do other people handle this?

Another weird thing is they don’t seem to do it with Thais as much. They are just left alone to shop or order. Simp.

Maybe they think you're going to steal from their store. In the USA I threatened a JCP manager to bring a class action lawsuit twenty years ago. But you have left your home land to seek refuge in a foreign country, may be using a "wify visa" which is a double whammy. So you lost all the power of complaining except in this hate filled forum to bash Thais, Chinese,and Indians. You reap what you you sow.

• Haha 2

Whenever they bring out a burger and fries, it's a long wait for the ketchup bottle. 

And as Jim Tripper would point out, they know about the ketchup. This aint their first time at the hamburger-delivering rodeo at Wine Connection or Dukes.

It's as if a 20 year old with virtually no advancement opportunities doesn't care about how my rich boomer day is going.

Other than that, I got nothing.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not so much in restaurants, but definitely in HomePro. Pause to look at something and they are on you. Makes me feel like they think I am a shoplifter.

Most of the staff seem to do it. I think it must be down to either staff training, or perhaps getting a commission or bonus for more sales. But they will only do it in their particular aisle(s). Move to the next one and someone else will take over.

I just make a game of it. stop and look at something, and as soon as one gets close, I move on to the next aisle.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It happens all the time. They are taught to help customers but they don't get the concept of not going too far. They should ask you if you need any help and if you say no, move on, saying if you need anything , let me know. In major stores, workers should have some English skills, because they deal with a lot of foreigners. I have had them many times follow me around. Sometimes I think they think we are there to steal, especially if they have done it themselves. If that's the case, I play their game, walking all over the store and glancing at them, in effect showing them they are overdoing it, and they shy away.

• Sad 1

How hard is it to wave you hand saying "I don't need any help right now" or "I'll call you when I'm ready"?

Some drama queens can make a simple task like reading a menu so tense, 555. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If this happens to me when perusing a menu outside a restaurant, it only serves to encourage me to move on and find another place.

If I am already seated inside the restaurant, I will order a drink, then when it comes, tell them I will let them know when I am ready to order food --- if at all.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

When I first encountered the wait staff person who brings the menu and then stands there while you read it... it seemed rude... now it just seems normal... if they want to just stand there it's on them.

Yeah, it’s weird that they don’t get the concept of giving the menu, moving away for a minute or two, then coming back. It’s not that difficult.

Often I think it’s about trying to rush me, but there can be few customers and they are just standing in the corner later on doing nothing. It’s like they are either desperate for a sale like a child would be waiting there, or it’s an anxiety thing where, rather then moving away and asking or being relaxed they over do it, or they want to get back to playing on the phone asap and waiting there means I order quicker.

Could also be a personal immaturity or fear about me finding the service unsatisfactory. So they dare not step away for a second. Or, it could be an over bearing manager who is watching their every move on camera and they get fired if they don’t stand there.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1