Heartbroken British mother accuses Thai officials of ‘lies’ in son’s alleged suicide in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

How can one travel a number of months and hold a "good graduate job"?  

The British school holidays (6 weeks) have just finished and maybe he acquired,  the position earlier in the year with a starting date in line with the reopening of schools/universities after the summer break?

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

While it heart breaking for any parents to loose a child, on what evidence does the mother base her allegation and accusations against the RTP?

she received calls and emails, from Bangkok, written to her in Thai, which had incorrect dates, informing her of Kimbia’s alleged suicide. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am sure the police portion of the UK embassy was told and would have been involved to some extent.  I would have a hard time thinking that the body is still available for police to look at,

The bottom line is no matter what country, if it looks like a suicide there is a note that explains the suicide most police forces would label it a suicide. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Spock said:

If you suicided in Bangok, why would your body be found in a carpark?

He was at the foot of a high building along with a suicide note. Why are people questioning this unfortunate death?

https://www.gofundme.com/f/darnel-kimbia

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Um, all the same things that might happen if you did it back in your hotel room or out the back at the loo of a restaurant - gun, poison, slash wrists, ...

Wouldn't you prefer to do any of these in your hotel room as your final act in life? Also if serious about suiciding, you're not going to do it in a place where people might find you and call for medical assistance. 

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The U.K School holidays finished a few weeks ago 

A bit pedantic? Schools resumed on Mon 4 September to be precise, which is not "a few weeks ago" more like 2 and a bit!, and  Universities traditionally start later (Mon 22 September) so maybe he had a job waiting for him at University?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

He was at the foot of a high building along with a suicide note. Why are people questioning this unfortunate death?

https://www.gofundme.com/f/darnel-kimbia

I was questioning it because I did not know he was at the foot of a high building. Having said that, I would question the many reported suicides of foreigners jumping from high buildings. It's not easy to do and if he had hopped across to Cambodia could have found a much more pleasant way to finish off his life. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

That's not evidence. Misspellings happen. I'm assuming that she bases her allegations simply on the fact that she can't believe that her son committed suicide and now she's grasping for straws. 

I think she's also maybe basing her allegations on misinformation, and possibly the number of "accidental" deaths in Bangkok/Pattaya caused by people "falling from high places"!

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Again, put up or shut up, where are the evidence? these are very serious accusations concerning the life of a child, i'd like to believe that the Thai police still have some integrity left in them when it come to a grieving mother...

Common to see reports in the British press from Brits at home blaming Thais for their on self inflicted problems.

Next will be a GOfundme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spock said:

Yeah, obviously, but what method of suicide other than leaping from a high rise would result in you dying in a car park? 

Lots of methods of suicide could take place in a car park. Overdose, poison, gunshot, self-inflicted wounds etc, etc.

The British Parking Association obviously thinks it's a possibility - they have a web page about it.

Preventing suicides in car parks

9 minutes ago, Goat said:

Common to see reports in the British press from Brits at home blaming Thais for their on self inflicted problems.

Next will be a GOfundme.

Yes, this is what led me to point at the inconsistent, embellished narrative backing yet another of those Gofundme cases.

But I should have added RIP Darnel, I am sure he was a very nice Kid. Someone should have taught him that a good Travel Insurance can be very useful.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

ive told my family if i ever "die" in LOS they will never get a straight answer and have planned if it does occur..........remember where u are......and the rules that apply to non citizens...i will always be a tourist to thais even after being here 15 yrs and having worked with them.....

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Lots of methods of suicide could take place in a car park. Overdose, poison, gunshot, self-inflicted wounds etc, etc.

The British Parking Association obviously thinks it's a possibility - they have a web page about it.

Preventing suicides in car parks

Just about impossible to kill yourself from an overdose of prescription medicines. Who is going to choose poison as a means of ending it all given how painful that is too? If he died of self inflicted gunshot wounds, why would the family question that and why do it in a car park rather than a hotel? I don't blame the mother for questioning the police verdict. 

• Confused 4

1 minute ago, Spock said:

Just about impossible to kill yourself from an overdose of prescription medicines. Who is going to choose poison as a means of ending it all given how painful that is too? If he died of self inflicted gunshot wounds, why would the family question that and why do it in a car park rather than a hotel? I don't blame the mother for questioning the police verdict. 

Its been stated that he jumped off the roof top and landed in the car park 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, JCauto said:

You've been around for quite a while - what on earth would give you the belief that the Thai police still have some integrity left in them in any circumstance whatsoever? You demand that we provide you with evidence of the police incompetence or malfeasance in this case? How on earth would one do that? Do you think that this happens in Thailand as a matter of course? I thought you lived here.

I presume that when the two Burmese fallguys were presented as the murderers of the British woman, that you were totally on board with the police investigation and result? Did that satisfy your criteria for addressing the requirements of the grieving mother? Actually, could you just point us to a proper investigation of a single instance of a foreigner's death here so we could see one example of proper police investigation and conduct?

well said and 100% agree

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yme said:

The mother can request an autopsy be performed at the Central Institute of Forensic Science (CIFS) via the embassy. 

Almost every foreigner who dies in Thailand has an autopsy performed on them before they are released for repatriation.

It's not something you need to request - it's mandatory unless some certain conditions are met - like you're in hospital under the care of a Doctor and being treated for something.

More information here : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/what-to-do-after-a-british-person-dies-in-thailand

So there will be a lot more information made available including the condition of the guy when he was found and all the other info like exact cause of death, etc.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

she received calls and emails, from Bangkok, written to her in Thai, which had incorrect dates, informing her of Kimbia’s alleged suicide. 

I wish the news article had given an example of the incorrect dates. As it is I don't know if it means that the year was written as 2566, which would be correct for the Thai  calendar. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

We don't know the full circumstances. Finding the body in a car park is a question, as suicides are usually  alone and unassisted. But presumably the police have the results of the autopsy, have traced his final movements (including CCTV if available) and have checked his finances and mobile phone over the last few weeks for any unusual transactions/interactions.

you describe what should happen and not what did happen, and even if it did happen the police can get what outcome they want to suit the narrative, you only have to look at murder Island to see what can be done

1 hour ago, sambum said:

The letter was written in Thai, I assume they used the year 2566.